Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Duhallow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2010, 11:39 am

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the combination of traits frequently given as being indicative of AS could be produced in a person as a result of other conditions, particularly the likes of Social Anxiety and OCD which I suffer from.

Isn't it possible, even likely, that someone affected by those conditions could score quite high in an Aspergers test without actually having AS at all??

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:05 pm

Yes.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:08 pm

Yes, I'd agree that that simple online tests can be quite misleading. On the other hand, how many social anxiety/OCD types display savant like skills? I like to build at least two versions of functional devices--one is an exact copy of the original, and the second is my version, that works much better. And I can tell you exactly what is wrong with the original and how my version is better. :D

BTDT

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 1:36 pm

As a lifetime taxonomist, I can and will say that the system of classification and diagnosis is highly unsatisfactory, more lumping than discriminating. Maintained largely by people who do not get it.

Duhallow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2010, 10:56 am

Thanks for the responses.

People are often very quick nowadays to self-diagnose themselves with one condition or another. It's understandable, I suppose, as we all feel the need to be able to put a name to our problems.

My reasons for suspecting Aspergers in myself go beyond what could be solely put down to OCD or SP but because there can be confusion between their symptoms and those of AS it will remain simply a possibility to be explored.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:39 pm

Right - for me, the Wrong Planet mix is closer than any other group I hit, I think there are a lot of people near me and my [not homegeneous but tight] inner circle here. But detailed diagnosis - this is not the time of century.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:43 pm

Duhallow wrote:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the combination of traits frequently given as being indicative of AS could be produced in a person as a result of other conditions, particularly the likes of Social Anxiety and OCD which I suffer from.

Isn't it possible, even likely, that someone affected by those conditions could score quite high in an Aspergers test without actually having AS at all??
Yep. That's why it's important to get a childhood history--social anxiety and OCD don't develop nearly as early as AS does. Telling the difference between neurological stuff (AS) and emotional/brain-chemistry stuff (the OCD or social anxiety) is very important when they're trying to make a diagnosis. The wrong treatment could hurt you, or at best just waste your time, whichever thing you actually had.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com