Does AS have the same physical effects as classic autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

PM
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 4:34 am

Do people with Asperger's Syndrome have some of the physical effects associated with classic autism? Including, but not limited to:

Hypersensitivity

Impaired Immunity

Gastrointestinal issues such as IBS (please don't go into detail)

Low Muscle tone.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 5:31 am

We have hypersensitivity, yes, but as for the other things you listed, I don't think they're even linked to autism.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 6:29 am

Of the remaining three, irritable bowel syndrome is common in those with Asperger's... Of the remaining two.... not generally related to autism.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 11:25 am

yes before you think you have IBS try to take a multivitamin for a few days and see if it calms down. That happens with me because I notice it because of it would stop when I ate the Wheaties Fuel ceral.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 5:31 pm

Hypersensitivity - I get a lot of ear infections after I experience a very deafening loud noise near me (eg, big loud blasts on car horns, unexpected)

Impaired Immunity - if this means low immune system, then no. I haven't got a tummy bug in 14 years (touch wood), and I get a run of colds over Christmas time, then maybe 1 somewhere in between February and November.

Gastrointestinal issues such as IBS (please don't go into detail) - no, I've never suffered from IBS, even though I suffer from VERY high anxiety.

Low Muscle tone - I don't think so.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:53 am

Well am a aspie and can relate to ALL those symptoms and have dealt with ibs successfully pretty much .. have become a encyclopedia of my illnesses related to me causes effects , various treatments , processes about how these symptoms occur . Even alot of underlying causes . In dysregulated nervous system function , potential direct connections in areas of the brain possible complicent in the symptoms . Potential treatment that have personally applied.
Am willing to speculate that they are simuliar .

where ever you go ,there you are

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 1:20 pm

I know hypersensitivity of some sort is very common among those with AS as well as those with classic autism. It's actually one of the major symptoms, although I'm not sure if it's one hundred percent necessary for diagnosis or not. GI issues also seem to be fairly common (though I personally am diagnosed with AS and have none). Not sure about the other two.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 11:46 pm

Actually, autism IS linked to low muscle tone. Certainly, not all autistics, but enough people have both to form a pattern. Low muscle tone can be one of the causes behind clumsiness in people with autism or Aspergers.

It's getting late where I am, but I think in Hans Asperger's paper, some of his boys were clumsy or floppy or whatever. Nowadays, they'd probably get diagnosed with dyspraxia or low muscle tone in addition to autism.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 12:16 am

I have hypersensitivity, but it's not really that severe. I've had a lot of ear infections since I was a kid, but I never thought noise could trigger them. Second-hand smoke, maybe, but not noise. My sensitivity is mostly the texture and feel of certain clothes, skin and hygiene products.

I don't get sick very often, although when I moved into a group home when I was 21 and had to live with at least 10 other people I would get a cold about once a month! And around the time before I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was almost 30 I was getting sick a lot more often and it was worse than usual. I had an infection in both my eyes, which I never had before, and had to get my thyroid tested because the doctor said it was something people with thyroid disease normally get, and then not long after I got over that I had a throat infection and had to go to outpatients - alone - and be put on antibiotics for that. And then not long after I was diagnosed and still in the hospital I hot these weird painful lumps on the the back of my neck which were X-Rayed, and shortly after that I got bad flu-like symptoms like body aches, chills and weakness. And while staying with my parents I couldn't sleep all night and the next day I was covered in a rash. I had terrible anxiety and insomnia and sometimes when I did sleep I'd wake up feeling like I was having a heart attack. It was all so terrible. :( Ever since I got my own apartment and have some actual control over my life my immunity is much more normalized. :)

My lack of muscle tone and ibs is because I'm overweight and don't exercise enough, and nothing else. How could it be related to something that isn't my fault? :roll:

I'm a woman, so I'm lucky I was even diagnosed at all. If I had gone on undiagnosed or not being told that I'm aspie, I think I would have literally died year ago. Of course, I have to put up with NTs ignorance and stigma about autism in general until the day I actually do die. :roll:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 6:35 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I have hypersensitivity, but it's not really that severe. I've had a lot of ear infections since I was a kid, but I never thought noise could trigger them. Second-hand smoke, maybe, but not noise. My sensitivity is mostly the texture and feel of certain clothes, skin and hygiene products.

I don't get sick very often, although when I moved into a group home when I was 21 and had to live with at least 10 other people I would get a cold about once a month! And around the time before I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was almost 30 I was getting sick a lot more often and it was worse than usual. I had an infection in both my eyes, which I never had before, and had to get my thyroid tested because the doctor said it was something people with thyroid disease normally get, and then not long after I got over that I had a throat infection and had to go to outpatients - alone - and be put on antibiotics for that. And then not long after I was diagnosed and still in the hospital I hot these weird painful lumps on the the back of my neck which were X-Rayed, and shortly after that I got bad flu-like symptoms like body aches, chills and weakness. And while staying with my parents I couldn't sleep all night and the next day I was covered in a rash. I had terrible anxiety and insomnia and sometimes when I did sleep I'd wake up feeling like I was having a heart attack. It was all so terrible. :( Ever since I got my own apartment and have some actual control over my life my immunity is much more normalized. :)

My lack of muscle tone and ibs is because I'm overweight and don't exercise enough, and nothing else. How could it be related to something that isn't my fault? :roll: :)

I'm a woman, so I'm lucky I was even diagnosed at all. If I had gone on undiagnosed or not being told that I'm aspie, I think I would have literally died year ago. Of course, I have to put up with NTs ignorance and stigma about autism in general until the day I actually do die. :roll:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well sorry to interject here and am no med prof. now. But meningitus is commonly transmitted in groups living together , of differing active individuals.

Many common diseases end up showing up in those situations . Occasionally a tick might end up transmitting lyme or assoc. Tick bourne illness . Which your symptoms describe imho . It might be prudent to get tested for these.
Whereas , fyi Igenex labs in Palo Alto, calif . Is best qualified,in opinion of myself and my doctors to get accurate dx . NONE of what is written here is to remotely dispel idea of you very possibly having A.S. .Recognize the situation as being similiar . These are things doctors forget to look for or use inadequate labs to test. Just fyi

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 7:20 am

Hypersensitivity. Sensory sensitivity, yes. Especially to sounds, smells, and lights.

Impaired Immunity. When I was little, I got sick a lot, but now I hardly ever get sick.

Gastrointestinal. Don’t know if this is an “issue”, but I get full very quickly, so I can’t eat that much. Sometimes it’s like my stomach is slow or something.

Low Muscle tone. I once had an assessment for back pain, and the person kept saying how “loose” my muscles and joints were. Looking back at my childhood, I probably had mild low muscle tone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Oct 2019, 8:00 am

Hypersensitivity~ Lots of people with Aspergers have hypersensitivity including me.

Impaired Immunity~ My girlfriend does, probably cuz of low stress intolerance which us Aspies & autistics are well known for having stress issues. However impaired immunity is not an official autism symptom.

Gastrointestinal issues such as IBS~ My girlfriend does, probably cuz of her stress & anxiety problems & maybe her psych meds she's on. Those of us on the spectrum are well known for having stress & anxiety problems & being on psych meds. I've had GI problems when I've had panic attacks that were probably partly related to autism. However GI issues are not official autism symptoms

Low Muscle tone~ Some of us on the spectrum are physically less active than our peers which might explain the low muscle tone. I never heard of low muscle tone being a symptom of Aspergers thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 10:55 am

am believing here , that nobody gets all the same symptoms at all the same times.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2020, 12:01 pm

Yes, Asperger's is part of the autism spectrum and I've suffered my whole life from each of the items you mentioned. They are common afflictions for those on the spectrum, but not everyone on the spectrum suffers from each of these items, and there are undoubtedly some on the spectrum who don't have any of these health issues.

The spectrum is a group of interconnected neurological problems. Some of them are sensory, some are physical/muscle related, some are social related, and others are more brain related, such as Executive Function Disorder, and living at a slower or faster physical and mental time pace than the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, I suffer from stuff in each of the major neurological categories found on the spectrum.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 4:53 am

Yes, I could write you a nice big grocery list of my physical issues, but I'm not in the mood for it right now.