Did autism prevent you from Trick-or-treating?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 11:20 pm

I never dressed up for Halloween since I stopped trick-or-treating at age four because I didn't like people asking what I was supposed to be. I had no theroy of mind at that age and surely would have been able to recognize Big Bird from Seasame Street. I think "What are you supposed to be?" sounds quite rude anyway. When the few trick-or-treaters show up at my place I ALWAYS am able to tell what they are "supposed to be". If I ever did encounter a kid in a creative costume, I would just tell them they looked great and not even bother asking what were "supposed to be". I don't even care if uncostumed teenagers say trick-or-treat. They could be on the spectrum and have sensory issues when it comes to wearing a costume. They could also not be as socialy aware as other teens or never got to expirence trick or treating as a child because of the issues I had as a kid around Halloween. Anyway, I just think "What are you supposed to be?" just sort of has a condesending ring to it. I hated a condesending attitude even as a child.

I also was very afraid of some decorations. Luckly I grew up in the early 1990's before all of these creepy anamotronic decorations that jump at you when you don't expect it. If those things were around in the early 90's, I don't remember them either becuase the residents of that little hick town couldn't afford them or because I supressed them from my memory. Anyway, some of the ones on the market today would have made me have a meltdown every time. Also, what is it with people's obsession with gore around Halloween? Espicaly when trying to attract little kids? Other decorations were just plain creepy and intemadating looking. I know Halloween is supposed to be scary, but panic attack inducing scary?

The candy aspect was confusing because I was taught to never accept candy from strangers. Why was it okay on Halloween? The idea of accepting candy from strangers, even with my parents' permission is a creepy concept. The candy aspect really wasn't that special to me because my mom wouldn't let me binge on my candy and would only let me have it in limited amounts over several days or only when she felt it was okay for me to have candy. I just couldn't see why the candy part of Halloween was so appealing when that's how I was allowed to have sweets for every other day of the year. I'm not saying that was a bad thing to do, I just couldn't see what all the hubabaloo about Halloween candy was. Even a minascule about of sugar and caffine gave me moodswings.

I wanted to trick-or-treat without my parents but my parents thought that was dangerous. I had zero friends to trick or treat with because kids who didn't bully avoided me like the plaque. And anyway, even did have a few friends to go with me, my parents would have had to drive at least 15 minnutes away because we basicaly lived in the boondocks of the middle of nowhere. Our neighbors never handed out candy becuase they were fundemedlist Christians who felt Halloween was an evil holiday. Anyway, all of our "neighbors" basicaly lived five minnutes or longer away from each other on foot. We never got trick or treaters either. My mum and I once spent over twenty dollars on Halloween decorations, just to piss off the neighbors. :twisted:

I think my mum felt bad for me becuase I did not like to go trick or treating so for years I was allowed to pick out a new toy as a "Halloween gift" instead of going trick or treating.

Anyway, did your autism prevent you from trick or treating?

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 11:38 pm

I did it up to age 12/13. Stopped because I felt like growing out of it.

Last costume I remember was me being a biker zombie.

Recently thought about just making a costume to bum around town in scaring people. Ideas ranged from The Cyborg Adam from Season 4 of Buffy the vampire slayer to Pyramid head

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Last edited by DemonAbyss10 on 24 Oct 2010, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 11:54 pm

nope. i used to have fun with people; not anymore.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Oct 2010, 11:57 pm

uh. its not until the 31st isnt it? or did you already go

i'm too old for trick or treating, so i'll stay home and sleep or go downtown with my sister

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 12:08 am

I trick-or-treated until my mid-teens. I'm working on a costume this year for a costume party.

But I've always been suspicious of Halloween candy anyway. Though I think the reason why it's different is because if someone comes up to you with candy, they want you specifically to have this candy right now. When the date is chosen for them and they have no way of guessing ahead of time who's going to get what, it's less likely. Plus, it can't really be used to lure you places. I think that's the idea, anyway.

Yeah, screaming, moving, unpredictable decorations make me want to strangle the inventor.

NOT A DOCTOR

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 12:11 am

I never had a problem trick-or-treating, but it ended at a young age.

Lived in South Florida, and when wackos started putting things like needles and razor blades in candy, mom and dad stopped letting me go.

Never mind older kids (bullies) knocking kids over and taking their candy. That, and coming up with good costumes every year got difficult after a while.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 12:17 am

I did it till I was like 11, though I have supported my brothers trick or treating in the past (and then ate all their good candy).

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 12:30 am

Nope. It's pretty easy to learn the knock-on-the-door-say-trick-or-treat-then-thank-you routine. Avoid crowds and stand to the side. Wear what you want that day.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:10 am

Never but the first year I went I was unhappy and didn't like what was happening, it was forced on me was why. I hated the wig on me and the paint. It felt funny and the wig itched. My mom told me I never wore it again and never wanted paint on my face after that. I can remember how my first year went and I didn't know what was going on and people were putting their candy in my fake pumpkin I was carrying and I just didn't enjoy it. I didn't realize the candy was mine until my mother dumped it out on my table in the kitchen. I can remember ringing door bells too when dad took me up and down the block. But the following year I only wore the clown suit and nothing else and dad took me again with my baby brother and he told me which houses to go to and I wasn't scared that time or stressed out. I knew what was going on was why and knew it was that time of year again. Then the next following years I always loved going because of the candy. Mom would let my brothers and I eat it all. She let us have it all just to get it out of the way while other parents take it from their kids and only let them have a few a day as a reward. Within a few days the candy be gone. I was never paranoid about candy or what people put in them and I can remember getting some home made stuff but then by the time I was in middle school, it was now illegal and you had to hand out store bought candy only.

I trick o treated until I was 17 and didn't do it again at 18. I also loved passing out candy but then it ended when we moved to Montana because we lived in the country. Now that I live in the city, I still don't get to pass out candy because of no trick o treaters. When I did trick o vote two years ago, I was surprised there wasn't any trick o treaters. There was hardly any. I went as a Teletubby that year. I got that costume on Amazon for 43 bucks because I wanted to be one since I was 15 but could never find one in my size. I plan on wearing it again this year but can't be a Rockford Peach because I won't get it in time. It's incomplete anyway. I am missing the hat and the shorts and the cleats.

I have asked people what they are supposed to be because I couldn't figure out what their costume is or what it was called. Some costumes are obvious of course so I am not going to ask them what they are supposed to be.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:19 am

Right now I can only remenber two times I dressed up for halloween:

When I was 6 I started reading about vampires and my mother made me a last minute vampire costume out of a uneven black textile inspired on a teenage vampire book I was reading back then(cant find it right now and due the vampire craze lately Im unable to find the title on amazon).

When I was 8 I became fascinated with harry potter series and due some similarities people found between me and radcliffe when I was younger I went as harry wich didnt require much dressing up either bacuse I refused to buy one of this cheap wizard costumes and whenever someone asked me why I wasnt wearing the wizard clothes I asked them if we were at hogwarts and to tell me a moment on the series when they werent at hogwarts and they were wearing wizard clothing, I guess there are a few but most people just moved on.

I spent a few years around my neighbourhood trick or treating without dressing up and I grew out of it a few years ago.

I would love to go to a halloween themed party this year(Im into alice in wonderland and if you are going to dress up as a mad hatter or something and you want others to recognize you this is the best year due to the film and all the items that are on the market wich would help creating a kickass costume).

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2010, 2:48 am

I used to go trick or treating when I was younger. The fact that I live in a country that doesn't celebrate Halloween like America does is probably why I don't do the trick or treating thing anymore.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 4:25 am

Yeah, my AS made me realise how f**king stupid it is :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 4:32 am

I went Trick Or Treating until I was 11, as well. I was quite mature for a 12 year old and there was a Beatles show on the radio that night.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 4:32 am

Only once did I trick or treat, when I was about 9. Our houses were about a 5 minute walk apart too. Met up with the kid down the road (1.6 miles away) and we spent all evening walking really. We didn't get dressed up in a costume because we didn't have any and our parents weretn't interested, we just wanted some sweets. We only got a tin of caviar which I gave to my mum. No one was prepared.
When I about 5, playing in the driveway by myself, a guy in a van stopped and offered me some sweets. I thought about it for a second then I remembered what they taught us at school so I turned and sreamed for mum and ran back towards the house. The guy did a wheel spin as he took off and mum called the cops.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 7:22 am

I trick-or-treated until I was 12, then I would just pass out candy to the cute little children. I'm tempted to slam my door in the face of those teens that use their street clothes for a "gangsta rapper" or guyliner for a Twilight costume. You'll get candy when you come back with a real costume. I'm not going to reinforce bad behavior. Use some effort people. Creativity isn't as scary as one might think. Okay, mini-rant done. :lol:

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 7:28 am

We never "trick or treated" when I was a kid, either in Ireland or England. It simply wasn't part of our culture. We used to gather friends around, stay in and have nice food, tell spooky stories, bob for apples, etc. Trick or treating only came to England really in the last twenty years... I'm not sure if it's a phenomenon in Ireland, but certainly the rural part I grew up in you still do NOT go out on Halloween, because the last thing you want to do is attract the attention of the ghosts and ghoulies. American Halloween has changed all that in England, perhaps the rest of the British Isles. Personally, I think it's a shame.