Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 9:43 pm

Ok, when I drink a little bit (Not supporting it...but I do drink)

I can have a decemt conversation for about 5 minutes...

However after that things go haywire.

And without I can only last about 2 minutes.

So...with that being said...what are some conversation road blocks that seem to appear? And in what situation? I can converse for hours on certain topics, however the average is 2 minutes, and 5 minutes semi intoxicated =/.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 10:41 am

I am not sure that I understand your post. Are you asking what are conversation road blocks that others have or what your possible road blocks could be?

I can only offer what examples of my own issues... I know for me that the setting is very important when having a conversation with anyone. If there is too much going on around me, I cannot keep up for long. Too much would be people moving around, multiple conversations, someone with strong cologne, those damn halogen lights, overhead music changing from one song to another... the list goes on... but all of these little things are very taxing on me and drain my battery faster than I can recharge the damn thing and after awhile I just shut down. I am not much of a drinker as it makes me somewhat queasy, but I have been 'intoxicated' and been able to roll with conversations for longer amounts of time likely due to my dulled senses, but it still catches up to me. As awful as it is, if I do not find a particular subject of conversation interesting, I have an even harder time keeping up with it. It is like my give a damn to even try is already half used up before I start, leaving less in my reserve.

I try to not engage people in meaningful discussion in public places and if I have to, I try to engage them in a calm and quiet setting. I also try to be calm before I have to go places with people... where I am to start makes a huge difference on when I will be done. I have no idea if this helps or was even what you were looking for...

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

31 Oct 2010, 11:12 am

i can totally understand drinking to have a conversation. i'm trying to break this habbit though. i'd rather be socially clumsy and have no conversation at all than have a serious addiction problem

CreativeInfluenza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2010, 11:29 am

Though I've experienced the benefits of alcohol in smoothing the whole conversational process, I have to agree with rb and say that long term it's not worth it. I've seen lives shattered by booze and it affects many generations, not just one.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2010, 1:40 pm

I can't even have a conversation for a minute.