Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:44 pm

I don't think that rule applies to them because how are they supposed to know someone is talking to them or they are unable to speak? Same as what if you don't speak the language?

Heck even normal people ignore those things too because I saw a thread at Babycenter and the woman who works as a cashier was bitching about people ignoring her when she tries to do small talk. I said back to her I think it's rude to try and talk to someone when they are on their phone. She did mention that in her OP too about people talking on their cell phones in the line and she wants to make small talk with them. She said it was a requirement for her to greet her customers and sometimes the manager will be standing behind her to make sure she is doing her job right.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:46 pm

Since I was diagnosed, I try very much harder to say "hi" to people I know on the street, or to people that I am interacting with in shops or queues, and to use small-talk with shop staff. I often either don't notice people I know or deliberately shut my awareness of people off, and I am working on that too.

Honestly, it makes a huge difference to my positive sense of being in a society. It is hard work and painful, but the benefits are worth it.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:52 pm

StuartN wrote:
Since I was diagnosed, I try very much harder to say "hi" to people I know on the street, or to people that I am interacting with in shops or queues, and to use small-talk with shop staff. I often either don't notice people I know or deliberately shut my awareness of people off, and I am working on that too.

Honestly, it makes a huge difference to my positive sense of being in a society. It is hard work and painful, but the benefits are worth it.

I do this all the time. No matter how well I know you, I'm not likely to initiate a conversation or accept the first invitation to be social.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:52 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Why the constant need for others to acknowledge their existence? Are they insecure?

They might stop existing if people stop acknowledging them. Like gods that die when you stop believing in them.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:56 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
[What if the person is deaf or mute?

People who are deaf or mute wave hello.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:56 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I don't think that rule applies to them because how are they supposed to know someone is talking to them or they are unable to speak? Same as what if you don't speak the language?

Heck even normal people ignore those things too because I saw a thread at Babycenter and the woman who works as a cashier was bitching about people ignoring her when she tries to do small talk. I said back to her I think it's rude to try and talk to someone when they are on their phone. She did mention that in her OP too about people talking on their cell phones in the line and she wants to make small talk with them. She said it was a requirement for her to greet her customers and sometimes the manager will be standing behind her to make sure she is doing her job right.

I've been a cashier, and she's actually right. You're supposed to show interest in the customers and thank them for choosing your store. It's all in the name of making the customer feel at home so they're more likely to go back and spend more money.

Being a cashier is very different than some stranger saying hello and asking how you're doing on the street, though.

And... don't be on a cell phone when you're in line to be checked out. The cashier is there to take care of your needs. They cannot do their job when you're gabbing away on a cell.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:58 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I said I didn't see it as rude because the 'Hi' is an invitation for socialization and ignoring the person is a rejection of said invitation. ?

The expected socialization is just a "hi" in return. You don't have to stop and chat. They don't expect you to.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:58 pm

Moog wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Why the constant need for others to acknowledge their existence? Are they insecure?

They might stop existing if people stop acknowledging them. Like gods that die when you stop believing in them.

Do I have to clap to save their lives like Peter Pan?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 5:00 pm

Janissy wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I said I didn't see it as rude because the 'Hi' is an invitation for socialization and ignoring the person is a rejection of said invitation. ?

The expected socialization is just a "hi" in return. You don't have to stop and chat. They don't expect you to.

I see. Maybe I just grew up around chatty people, then. Perfect strangers would try to start an actual conversation just about any time I acknowledged their 'hello'. lol

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 5:01 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
On another forum someone posted a question about whether it's rude to ignore someone saying hi in passing.

I said I didn't see it as rude because the 'Hi' is an invitation for socialization and ignoring the person is a rejection of said invitation. The majority of posters said it was rude because it was 'common decency' to at least acknowledge their presence.

Am I just being rude?

What if the person is deaf or mute?

I'm not sure what your question is.

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2010, 5:01 pm

@TeaEarlGreyHot Clap Harder!! !

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 5:02 pm

I think whether or not to say 'Hi' depends a lot on the context. If I'm walking in the countryside with my dogs and there is nobody there for miles, then a chance encounter with a stranger walking on a path past each other it is common to say Hello or Bonjour (in France and England anyway). However, if I'm walking through along a busy city street and a stranger says "Hi" I usually ignore them because they are either wanting to sell me something, begging for money or to want to save my soul!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 5:04 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
On another forum someone posted a question about whether it's rude to ignore someone saying hi in passing.

I said I didn't see it as rude because the 'Hi' is an invitation for socialization and ignoring the person is a rejection of said invitation. The majority of posters said it was rude because it was 'common decency' to at least acknowledge their presence.

Am I just being rude?

What if the person is deaf or mute?

I'm not sure what your question is.

I think that was a rhetorical question. Because so many people think it's rude to not say hi back so what if the person was deaf or mute? Are they still being rude?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 5:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Of course. But most extroverts I know rarely take those kind of things into consideration. They also never seem to take into consideration that sometimes I can't respond. They assume I'm the rude one.

They can't be expected to know I have Asperger's, but they can at least keep in mind that not everyone is exactly like them.

Quote:

Yeah, when I worked at McDonald's we had the same rule.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 5:05 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I think whether or not to say 'Hi' depends a lot on the context. If I'm walking in the countryside with my dogs and there is nobody there for miles, then a chance encounter with a stranger walking on a path past each other it is common to say Hello or Bonjour (in France and England anyway). However, if I'm walking through along a busy city street and a stranger says "Hi" I usually ignore them because they are either wanting to sell me something, begging for money or to want to save my soul!

Oh yes! I've had that. Context is everything. People who are selling either religious salvation or a more material product do have a hungry gleam in their eye that makes me look away and just keep walking.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 5:06 pm

Janissy wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
[What if the person is deaf or mute?

People who are deaf or mute wave hello.

But how do deaf people know someone said "hi" to them? No way is a stranger going to know that person is deaf. Not all of them wear hearing aids because they are profoundly deaf while some others get to wear them and hear normally because their hearing isn't 100% gone.