Should we boycott Nevada?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 9

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2010, 10:58 am

Should Sharron Angle win, G-d forbid, who would support a collective Aspie boycott of the state of Nevada?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:16 pm

Please don't boycott my former state of Nevada. And I say this as a good progressive. And yes, I generally like President Obama.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:51 pm

First, I'm going to start by saying probably 70-90% of the garbage we've heard about Sharron Angle are lies. (I pay a lot of attention to politics, the media in general, etc.)

Do I think Ms. Angle may need to be educated about people on the spectrum, that's certainly possible. However, I don't think she is a nutcase like Senator Reid portrays her as.

Quit frankly, I'm more concerned about "Dirty" (by dirty I mean blatently dishonest and corrupt) Harry being re-elected than Ms. Angle whom if she is a nut can always be voted out next election cycle.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:52 pm

Sharron is a straightforward speaker who is generally optimistic, and Harry is a complicated speaker who has kind of a dour disposition.

And just that goes a long way to explain how close this election is.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:59 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Sharron is a straightforward speaker who is generally optimistic, and Harry is a complicated speaker who has kind of a dour disposition.

Well there are already accusations of the SEIU trying to rig the voting machines. It wouldn't surprise me if the accusations are true since Chicago moved to Washington.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:30 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

Well there are already accusations of the SEIU trying to rig the voting machines. It wouldn't surprise me if the accusations are true since Chicago moved to Washington.

Wouldn't you agree in today's world, corporations are a bigger potential threat to democracy? For example, Diebold voting machines, the company claims 'proprietary software,' each vote doesn't generate a paper ballot like it could which would be countable. And the CEO is a big Republican, who has made some statements which are really impolitic and unfortunate for a company (or at least a business division) supposedly based on neutrality.

And then there's just the standard stuff, Big Pharma giving a ton of money to candidates, the big financial institutions giving a ton of money to candidates, etc.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 2:10 pm

Actually, I think we are more in danger from labor unions like SEIU than big business. Their CEO is Republican so what? I'm a Conservative Republican, if I worked there I may give my opinion a time or two, that doesn't mean I would rig voting machines.

SEIU, ACORN, etc. all have past records that are dubious, if they had a chance to rig the vote I believe they would take it.

For clarrification, we are not a Democracy we are a Constitutional Republic, there is a serious difference.

Also big corporations give money to candidates on both sides, trying to hedge their bets.

What is interesting this year is the Chamber of Commerce (which is largely made up of small business) is going all out trying to kick Dems out of office.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 3:26 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

Wouldn't you agree in today's world, corporations are a bigger potential threat to democracy? For example, Diebold voting machines, the company claims 'proprietary software,' each vote doesn't generate a paper ballot like it could which would be countable. And the CEO is a big Republican, who has made some statements which are really impolitic and unfortunate for a company (or at least a business division) supposedly based on neutrality.

And then there's just the standard stuff, Big Pharma giving a ton of money to candidates, the big financial institutions giving a ton of money to candidates, etc.

Diebold elections machines actually run Windows XP Embedded with a custom Java/.net application. They're basically the same thing as their ATMs.

I agree with Inuyasha - the labor unions are killing business here but also think the tax-and-spend and government-first attitude of so called "liberals" is also to blame as well as so called "conservatives" who might as well be fiscal liberals. Look at California - the big labor unions like the SEIU/PEU/CTA/CNA/AFSCME and the prison guard's union are accounting for a BIG chunk of California's pension liability via CalPERS for state employees. CARB is forcing rules that IMO don't help solve California's emissions issues but rather fattening the bank accounts of PG&E/SoCal Edison and SoCal Gas/ADM and making us more addicted to foreign oil(by adding ethanol to gasoline which has less potential energy which=MORE gas burned). The school and college systems here are going for broke while the chancellors/superintendents are for a lack of a better phrase, livin' la vida loca.

And the so called "liberal" solution is to repeal Prop 13 - which if that happens, California can kiss jobs and residents GOODBYE.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 3:26 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Actually, I think we are more in danger from labor unions like SEIU than big business. Their CEO is Republican so what? I'm a Conservative Republican, if I worked there I may give my opinion a time or two, that doesn't mean I would rig voting machines.

Ummmm... last time I checked, Andy Stern is a HUGE Obama cheerleader.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 4:25 pm

nthach wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Probably should have clarified:

I was saying that the CEO from Diebold Voting Machines and that company in general was less of a threat to our freedoms than Andy Stern and SEIU. Having a CEO with opinions whom happens to be the company that builds voting machines doesn't mean they are going to rig an election. Whereas SEIU and other left wing groups have a dubious track record.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:01 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
nthach wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Probably should have clarified:

I was saying that the CEO from Diebold Voting Machines and that company in general was less of a threat to our freedoms than Andy Stern and SEIU. Having a CEO with opinions whom happens to be the company that builds voting machines doesn't mean they are going to rig an election. Whereas SEIU and other left wing groups have a dubious track record.

The left was whining about data security - but the Diebold machine's voting data is easily manipulated as it is stored on SD card and of course anyone with malicious intent can alter the data.

I don't know if the Diebold machines store data in an unsecure format like .csv or in SQL format.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:06 pm

Well in Nevada, the SEIU has access to the machines to actually carry out the fraud, NOT the Diebold company. The company that made the machines is not the people whom are maintaining the machines and have access to actually tamper with them.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:26 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Well in Nevada, the SEIU has access to the machines to actually carry out the fraud, NOT the Diebold company. The company that made the machines is not the people whom are maintaining the machines and have access to actually tamper with them.

Which is why I think electronic machines need to talk back to the elections department via wireless WAN(3G of either WCDMA HSPA or 1xEVDO flavor) to a central SQL server and someone there can run a SQL query to tabulate the results. No paper path, no SD/Compact Flash cards to lose.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 7:28 pm

nthach wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Which is why I think electronic machines need to talk back to the elections department via wireless WAN(3G of either WCDMA HSPA or 1xEVDO flavor) to a central SQL server and someone there can run a SQL query to tabulate the results. No paper path, no SD/Compact Flash cards to lose.

Problem with that idea is you give them wifi you make them hackable.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2010, 7:34 pm

You guys just don't have any self-respect, huh? Angle already made it known she thinks autism is a fake disorder and thus is in the same category as Savage Weiner. Makes as much sense as Boner (not calling him Boehner) standing with the Nazi re-enactor.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 7:55 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
You guys just don't have any self-respect, huh? Angle already made it known she thinks autism is a fake disorder and thus is in the same category as Savage Weiner. Makes as much sense as Boner (not calling him Boehner) standing with the Nazi re-enactor.

Better an old lady that is simply ignorant and can be shown that she is wrong than a power hungry scumbag.

Also the other guy whom is a Nazi re-enactor quick question, does he believe the same things as the Nazis or is he part of a World War II re-enactment group? I haven't heard anything about him other than the idiocy of his hobbies.

But boycotting a state because they want to vote a corrupt senator out of office is in my opinion practicing the same intolerance that you are accusing Angle of.