Recent College Grad Needs Help Getting Work Experience

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2010, 4:42 pm

I recently graduated from college and earned my Bachelor's in Game and Simulation Programming (GSP). However, I have never had a job before and I need to get some work experience to add to my resume. As much as I love video games, I also really like computers such as video and audio editing, graphic and web design and software testing and wouldn't mind getting a career related to that in the future. What are some good ways to get the experience I need to be hired?

I don't like to drive so a job that requires a lot of this wouldn't be a very good idea, especially because of where I live and it can have unpredictable weather from fog to rain to snow and ice.

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2010, 4:59 pm

Well one way to get experience is to volunteer to do work in your field of interest for people over the internet so you have a portfolio of projects you have done (also include stuff you have done while in school).

Many careers like this want examples of your work more than they care about your resume. HOWEVER, since the resume is the first thing most companies see, you will want to include your GPA if it is favorable, any projects you worked on that make you look experienced (even if it was just for one class).

Since most of us Aspies tend to feel weird "bragging" for a resume (which is sort of needed to get your strong points across), I strongly suggest getting someone else to write and review your resume. Give them a whole group of things you have done, examples of your work, and have them help you work on adjectives that describe you to put in your resume.

There are a number of sites as well that show how to do a resume for a person just-out-of-school which is different than if you have lots of work experience.

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2010, 5:32 pm

I am working on a portfolio of the 3D models and sprites I have made while in college and during my free time and my senior project. My college also provides help for finding a job after graduation for about 6 months so that's a good start. I need to create my own site to upload my work in order to show it to potential employers.

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2010, 5:38 pm

Another good option is electronic networking through sites like twitter, facebook, or a professional site like LinkedIn. You can probably get an invite for LinkedIn through your school or one of your professors. That helps you build connections without automatically needing face to face contact to make potential work connections.

Also, there should be other groups you can join for alumni or career-oriented organizations that can help you find jobs and just connect to people who might find you a job. I know that I accepted an Honor's society invite just so that I could have the resources they provide for finding jobs and making connections to other professionals. Stuff like that can really help you get a step-up into making the "social" connections that help you find a job. The good thing is most stuff is online so its not like you have to see tons of people in real life to even have those connections.

elenalb
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Nov 2010, 12:06 am

My son is at a local JC (third year) and wants a degree in video game design. We're in No. California and he needs to choose a "transfer school" that has a video game design degree. Any advice?
Thanks.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 12:41 am

DragonKazooie89 wrote:
. . . I need to create my own site to upload my work in order to show it to potential employers.

I really encourage you to think in terms of Either . . . Or. That is, to think in terms of multi-paths. Yes, your own site is a nice extra and for some jobs might make the difference. But there might be other jobs looking for entry-level game and simulation programmers and they are looking right now and these jobs might be filled in six weeks. So, I really encourage you to try different things and accept that some of these attempts, forays, etc, won't be perfect, but some may well lead to a job.

And when you get that first job, don't feel as though you always have to be Drew Brees (and remember, even Drew Brees isn't always Drew Brees). And when you are part of something very successful and you do receive credit, remember to be generous in distributing praise to others who helped out (just be matter-of-fact about this. However, even good-hearted gestures like this don't always bring credit or appreciation. And I always have to remind myself of things like that).