2 or 3 of the above (please elaborate) 50%  50%  [ 20 ]
Because I think society drives me to it 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Other (please elaborate) 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 40

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 6:55 pm

I've seen numerous times in here, people give people adice on wanting a relationship and many times I've also seen the recipient of the advice told to stop wanting a relationship just because others have it and work on themselves first. So, I was wondering how many people actually do just want a relationship as they feel society dictates they must and why others want it if not.

I personally would say all of the first three, in the order 2, 1, then 3, companionship well out in front really - I really want somebody to share lifes ups and downs with.

So, why do you guys want somebody?

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 6:57 pm

Voted other

I simply feel there is no point to it whatsoever.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:10 pm

Other, looking for intimacy - not just sex. Such a strong urge drives me.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:12 pm

Mutual emotional support and activities partner.

Sex is cool, but really?! There are many things far more important.

I don't want a family.

I don't give a crap what the society or my family or friends expect of me. My life is my own and I will not sacrifice an inch to someone else's expectations.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:13 pm

Wallourdes wrote:

I sort of meant both - I'll change the poll. Thanks for helping me catch that early! :D

Edit: Can't do that actually. (This is my first poll) :oops:

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:20 pm

Companionship and intimacy foremost. Sex and possibility of a family follow those.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:25 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:

I sort of meant both - I'll change the poll. Thanks for helping me catch that early! :D

Glad to be of service - intamacy and sex are two things, yes.

You can scrap this thread and make a new one if the results really are important for you.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:30 pm

Wallourdes wrote:
Mark198423 wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:

You can scrap this thread and make a new one if the results really are important for you.

I know they're different but I was trying to some things up in as few words possible (I'm a little stoned too). The only important part is showing that very few people want a relationship due to peer pressure so I'll leave this one going!

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:34 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:
Mark198423 wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:

I know they're different but I was trying to some things up in as few words possible (I'm a little stoned too). The only important part is showing that very few people want a relationship due to peer pressure so I'll leave this one going!

okidoki

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:36 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Mutual emotional support and activities partner.

Sex is cool, but really?! There are many things far more important.

I don't want a family.

I don't give a crap what the society or my family or friends expect of me. My life is my own and I will not sacrifice an inch to someone else's expectations.

I'm not single, but I could just kiss you for this post :oops:
:lol:

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:40 pm

Mark198423 wrote:

Call me cynical, but I would take the results with a pinch of salt - I'm not necessarily saying people will lie, just that in my experience they are often not that honest about such motivations with themselves.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:42 pm

Girls are just cool.

jadw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2010, 7:43 pm

This is my take on it. By the way, I voted "2 of 3 of these things".

Firstly, I don't ever base my desires or decisions on peer pressure or what society and the media claim is right. I listen to all sides of the arguement and then make up my own mind accordingly. That said, my reasons to want a relationship are genuine and personally motivated.

Mainly, I rate companionship and closeness abuve everything else. I just want someone for which we know each other as though we're just two parts of one person. I want a woman who I can do everything in life with, share memories with, and have in my life. I want someone who is often (though not perpetuaslly) around, who I can talk to most every day.

As for sex, as nice as it is, it is certainly not the best thing about relationships. Anyone who wants a relationship for purely sex will be very disappointed when they've tried it. I just don't see how anyone could enjoy sex without appreciating how good it is just to know that someone else cares about them so much to want to be so close. Then again, that's what differentiates me from the rapist mentality. I just wouldn't physically be able to get off to forced or unconcensual sex.

Quote:
I've also seen the recipient of the advice told to stop wanting a relationship just because others have it and work on themselves first.

This I agree with. Unless you actually know why you want to have a partner, then you are probably not ready for one. Also, if you don't have any hobbies or things in your life that you are able to enjoy without a woman (or man) with you, chances are you will fail in a relationship by way of being too clingy or not interesting enough.

Another theme I often come across is this: Think about what the other person wants and can get out of being with you. If you want something but have nothing to offer in return, you will get nothing. If, on the other hand, you truly believe you do have something to offer and you still can't find a woman (which is my situation atm), then it's down to other factors such as lack of opportunities or certain hurdles you (as well as me) are struggling on.

This is all there ever was all along...

When the fog clears and the clouds disappear
We will see with clarity, this is what remains here
You are all that I have now, you are all that I miss
Since when did we need more to life than this?

Last edited by jadw on 03 Nov 2010, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:44 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
Mark198423 wrote:

Call me cynical, but I would take the results with a pinch of salt - I'm not necessarily saying people will lie, just that in my experience they are often not that honest about such motivations with themselves.

People may not be 100% truthfull but people could poll anonymously, without commenting. I just really don't know where these people get the idea that us singles desperate for a relationship want it due to others having it!?!

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:49 pm

^
Ah, I see what you mean - a few here complain a lot about society (and "the way romance is described by the media" :roll: ) putting pressure on them to have a relationship, but they are not so representative, just LOUD :lol:

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:50 pm

jadw wrote:
Mainly, I rate companionship and closeness abuve everything else. I just want someone for which we know each other as though we're just two parts of one person. I want a woman who I can do everything in life with, share memories with, and have in my life. I want someone who is often (though not perpetuaslly) around, who I can talk to most every day.

You have written my thoughts exactally, just much better than I could tonight! :lol: I do find the other factors important too though!

Last edited by Mark198423 on 03 Nov 2010, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.