Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

fightingalways
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2006, 7:22 pm

What type of summer job should I get?

I know that I don't want anything too stressful or crazy. Working alone would be great and I refuse to handle money because keeping track of things is always hard. I work well with people when I get to be nice to them. Any job where I've had to enforce rules seems to get customers mad at me. ... I have no clue why.

Any advice will be appriciated.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2006, 9:24 pm

Summer jobs I had:

Working as a go-fer with the receptionists and doctors in a medical practice. I'd put all the files away, do photocopying and make coffee. I didn't have to deal with any customers/patients. The doctors were probably just as aspie as me, and I got along fine.

Working in a printer's shop - doing collating - I think there are machines that do that now. I also used to help out with the office admin like copying out invoices and stuff.

Working with a recreation officer for a nurses accomodation - ie the hospital had someone to organise activities for the nurses like scuba diving, windsurfing, sewing, yoga, aerobics. I got to update all the calendars and make the flyers ie all the graphic design and what do you call it when you write the words for a poster - that. I really liked that. I only had to relate to one person directly.

Working as a farm hand on various family farms. Going out with the farmer, and acting as a smart sheep dog, gate opener, and an extra pair of hands and providing entertaining? conversation or silence as we felt the need. One time I worked in the shearing shed during shearing - it was handy I looked like a boy at the time and could swear better than the shearers could. They knew I was a girl but kept forgetting and that was ok with me. Them trying to be gentlemanly and keep their language "polite" - would have been a bit stressful for them. There's a lot of work in summer picking fruit too - but I never did that.

None of these jobs where particularily intellectually challenging but it also helped that I wasn't completely stupid too.

Consider what you really enjoy doing and see if you can get a job that relates to that. You might have to ask friends and family for ideas if you can't think of anything. But if you look around you - every single thing that you see - involves someone, maybe lots of people working to get it there (or keep it there).

Space
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2006, 2:10 am

fightingalways wrote:
What type of summer job should I get?

I know that I don't want anything too stressful or crazy. Working alone would be great and I refuse to handle money because keeping track of things is always hard. I work well with people when I get to be nice to them. Any job where I've had to enforce rules seems to get customers mad at me. ... I have no clue why.

Any advice will be appriciated.

Take a job that you can get. I don't think people with AS always come off as very charming people in interviews, and it's not easy to get a decent job, so I'd say apply to a bunch of different places and work for anyone that is willing to hire you.

itfits
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2006, 10:32 pm

try getting a job in the security field. If you can work odd hours and don't need alot of supervision you can almost always get a job.