Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 4:39 pm

waltur wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
YOU HEAR THAT MASTER_PEDANT!! I AM STRIDENT! !!

Oh my imaginary god (whose genitals outweigh your god's genitals)! Someone used the word "strident" to mean "strident" in ppr!

I'm amazed.

Also: shouting "no! That's impossible!" didn't make vader any less luke's father. Shouting "false" doesn't seem like it would be any more effective.

Just like Luke not wanting vader to be his father, it doesn't matter as to the veracity of the claim, however neither does a claim that human actions entail God's existence nor the lack thereof. To make such a claim requires a very narrow set of assumptions as to the behavior and motivation of God.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 4:40 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Hey, I am obligated to do occasional acts to show stridency. It is not as if DentArthurDent, or Master_Pedant came forward to say that. No, only I would have the stridency to do that. I am king for a reason.

YOU HEAR THAT MASTER_PEDANT!! I AM STRIDENT! !!

Do we really want this kind of showboating by WP most Strident Atheist, a man who wouldn't even help me in my "Scientology IS a Religion" thread?

Plus, AG hasn't even said that all cults are religions and that scientology just as much a religion as the big boy thugs.

CHRISTIANITY IS A DEATH CULT!! !! !!

(I am open to being drafted for the June 2011 Strident Atheist elections and eager to be endorsed by DentArthurDent for all my STRIDENT campaigning on his behalf in the June 2010 Strident Atheist elections - which increased his vote by 400%).

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 4:43 pm

Two main facts of life are...

(a) The world isn't fair.
(b) The world is complicated.

It seems to me that people's reaction to a.) and b.) is one of two things. Either...

(1) Adhere to a simplistic ideology that says (a) and/or (b) are avoidable... if only "The Man" that's holding us all down would get out of the way.
(2) Look for practical ways to make the world more fair without causing too much unnecessary complication.

The problems with (1) are...

(i) Because of (b), it isn't easy to see who "The Man" is.
(ii) If "The Man" exists, he already accepts and benefits from (a), thus he will always deflect blame and point the finger somewhere else. Therefore "The Man" may not be who you think he is.

The problem with (2) is...

(i) Because (b) it takes more effort and thought.
(ii) It doesn't have the same emotion and polemic appeal behind it.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 4:50 pm

marshall wrote:

It seems to me that people's reaction to a.) and b.) is one of two things. Either...

(1) Adhere to a simplistic ideology that says (a) and/or (b) are avoidable... if only "The Man" that's holding us all down would get out of the way.
(2) Look for practical ways to make the world more fair without causing too much unnecessary complication.

(ii) If "The Man" exists, he already accepts and benefits from (a), thus he will always deflect blame and point the finger somewhere else. Therefore "The Man" may not be who you think he is.

So, Number 2, what are your thought-filled solutions?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 5:32 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
* Pogonophobia.

Really? Noone has ever objected to my beard, and I have grown it out to rather unreasonable lengths before.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 5:38 pm

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
* Pogonophobia.

Really? Noone has ever objected to my beard, and I have grown it out to rather unreasonable lengths before.

Apparently in some places a beard is considered to be the mark of a cultist and a deviant. I'm not sure which one 'keet is supposed to be.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 6:03 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
* Pogonophobia.

Apparently in some places a beard is considered to be the mark of a cultist and a deviant. I'm not sure which one 'keet is supposed to be.

I'm suppose to be a terrorist. In the sense of the Latin word terrere. Boo! Bearded dude in a pirate hat speaking Latin with a Russian accent, ahhh! it must be Osama!

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 6:53 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
* Pogonophobia.

I'm suppose to be a terrorist. In the sense of the Latin word terrere. Boo! Bearded dude in a pirate hat speaking Latin with a Russian accent, ahhh! it must be Osama!

Are you confusing terrorist with lunatic ? The two would engender a similar reaction.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 8:59 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
marshall wrote:

So, Number 2, what are your thought-filled solutions?

I would vote for somebody more informed than me who will persue path (2) over someone who will persue path (1).

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 9:04 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Do we really want this kind of showboating by WP most Strident Atheist, a man who wouldn't even help me in my "Scientology IS a Religion" thread?

Actually, I just never looked at it. The topic didn't interest me as it is obvious. I didn't even know a debate took place until you mentioned this.

Quote:
Plus, AG hasn't even said that all cults are religions and that scientology just as much a religion as the big boy thugs.

Y'know, isn't that also obvious. If all religions are fakes, then wouldn't the negative connotation of culthood be sensible?

Quote:
CHRISTIANITY IS A DEATH CULT!! !! !!

Umm.... yes. That's kind of the point of that latest thread of mine.

Quote:
which increased his vote by 400%).

You don't know the efficacy of your efforts.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 2:22 am

Macbeth wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
* Pogonophobia.

Are you confusing terrorist with lunatic ? The two would engender a similar reaction.

Yeah. It may be some aspect of your approach to others, rather than your beard, that engenders such responses. For one, people don't generally like to have Latin quoted at them. It is rude to speak to people in a language they do not know. The pirate hat might also be throwing them off, depending on the context.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 2:36 am

Orwell wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
* Pogonophobia.

Yeah. It may be some aspect of your approach to others, rather than your beard, that engenders such responses. For one, people don't generally like to have Latin quoted at them. It is rude to speak to people in a language they do not know. The pirate hat might also be throwing them off, depending on the context.

I think it'd be appreciated at a FSM convention.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 4:17 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
* That people in general are self-centered and stupid.
* That the unemployed are blamed for being unemployed.
* That most movies today consist of overly simplistic plots made to fit with the special effects budget.

Wow. Well, I suppose, in a universe as vast and ever-expanding as the one in which we live, the chances of us sharing some common viewpoints wouldn't be completely nil.

The one about movies is the one that annoys me the most.