Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JeffDmetalgod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Nov 2010, 10:34 am

Not only cuz I suck at them to me sports are nothing more than take this ball and go over there...boring to me! Anyone else not into anything? My friends idolized sport heroes I preferred superheroes. Mickey Mantle? who cares? He can't fly!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 10:52 am

JeffDmetalgod wrote:
Not only cuz I suck at them to me sports are nothing more than take this ball and go over there...boring to me! Anyone else not into anything? My friends idolized sport heroes I preferred superheroes. Mickey Mantle? who cares? He can't fly!

Right on!
Not much into comic book superheroes, but always hated both watching and participating in sports.
Trouble is you have to learn to BS about sports in the world, which I have done to some degree. Pretend I giva a damn. Pretend you know a little bit about it.

Actually the secret is to let a sports fan yap and just listen. And then ask a question like "so you're gripping about both of our teams, so who do think is doing worse this season our football team or our baseball team" and they will light up and talk another bluestreak- and they will bond with you- for being such a good conversationalist.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 10:53 am

Same here. The idea of running around a field chasing a ball bores the crap out of me, the idea of watching other people running around a field chasing a ball... Doubly so.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2010, 10:53 am

I never got the whole sports thing either. I'm not the kind of person to sit around, so if there is a friendly game going I'll play, but I have never understood how people can put so much importance in them.
I think it's kind of funny that people will get annoyed at me if I talk too much about a technical subject. ( electronics, science,etc). Yet they can talk for hours about every detail of a game. :?

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 11:19 am

Hate team sports (e.g., football, baseball, basketball) -- both playing *and* watching. Bore me to tears. Don't know *anything* about them and can't speak for more than 8 seconds with a sports fan.

Love solitary/individual sports (e.g., skiing, kayaking).

And it was all for the want of a nail.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 12:08 pm

I couldn't agree more, I hate, hate, HATE sports!! !! At school they were just so boring... We had to play basketball and I just wasn't interested so I stood there thinking about what is out there in space, as I always do, and the ball comes flying at my face! Football especially, can DIE!! !! ! I didn't watch the world cup and NEVER will!! !!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 12:11 pm

Simonono wrote:
I couldn't agree more, I hate, hate, HATE sports!! !! At school they were just so boring... We had to play basketball and I just wasn't interested so I stood there thinking about what is out there in space, as I always do, and the ball comes flying at my face! Football especially, can DIE!! !! ! I didn't watch the world cup and NEVER will!! !!

In PE, I just walked around the side of the pitch for the whole lesson.

Football is the worst thing ever.

Malin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Nov 2010, 1:50 pm

Same here.
I thought I hated all sports until I found climbing, martial arts, cycling and running.

Still can't do group sports.
Perhaps Autism ought to count as a permanent 'note' to be excused from PE? Or at least to wander off and do something else, like climbing.

JeffDmetalgod

09 Nov 2010, 2:18 pm

I think maybe team or pro related sports I hate. Mostly I had pseudo bully friends who were sport freaks into football,baseball,etc. I have no problem with say cycling,martial arts,climbing and I am fascinated with scuba diving.

aamj50

10 Nov 2010, 12:07 am

Hate pro sports. Grown people getting paid millions of dollars to play children's games. And fat, dumb people watching it and living and dying by the results.
Insanity.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 12:37 am

aamj50 wrote:
Hate pro sports. Grown people getting paid millions of dollars to play children's games. And fat, dumb people watching it and living and dying by the results.
Insanity.

+1

T3hUnholy1

10 Nov 2010, 12:44 am

I've never been a sports guy, myself. Was never an athlete, when I was younger. I think I skipped about 80% of my PE classes. The only sport that interests me is weight-lifting, because it makes me feel great. There are many health benefits to it. It also helps you develop and maintain focus, discipline and a positive frame of mind. As far as team sports, I just don't find them interesting to play or watch. Martial arts are cool, because they also involve a lot of discipline and it's always good to be able to defend yourself. But man... Keeping track of statistics is such a waste of time and energy. I don't really care who has the most home-runs, or if this UFC fighter is better than that UFC fighter. It doesn't affect me, in any way. Betting on sports is pretty dumb, too... So many of my friends are hockey obsessed and lose more than they win on bets.

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2010, 7:40 am

Welcome to WP! I completely suck at sports too, so you're not alone.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 7:48 am

T3hUnholy1 wrote:
Keeping track of statistics is such a waste of time and energy.

On one hand, I completely agree -- of course you're right; on the other, this describes just about every one of my obsessional interests over the course of almost four decades(! !!) 8O I'll leave it at this: no matter what I think of sports (not much!), I can't throw the first stone in this particular direction!

T3hUnholy1

10 Nov 2010, 2:17 pm

I was only really talking about sports statistics. Some statistics are helpful to know, or just plain interesting. I feel that it's pretty redundant to keep track of sports scores, unless you're actually playing that particular sport and analyzing strategy. To each their own, I guess. :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 11:02 pm

A very special Welkome to WrongPlanet, with a K.

The WP Kink