Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

travelplus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Nov 2010, 11:18 pm

When I was 6 I remember asking my mom if I could wear colored underwear. My mom was fine with it. It was amazing how she knew what colors to get me. I remember they had two colors like red in the back black in the front.

I know there are many kids with AS who won't ask to switch. I was wondering if your son ever asked you to wear colored underwear? How did you go about helping him choose the right colors?

As I got older I asked for different styles like Low Rise/Jockey Life bikini underwear and my mom said it was a good choice. I often wonder why some parents are strict about having their sons wear white.

I know underwear is not a big deal for some but I wanted to fit in as I was being teased during PE for wearing white underwear as our school had us change for PE.

Do your sons like wearing colored underwear and how did they come to you to ask or how did you see if they wanted to wear it? Thanks

I hope its not a weird conversation but I want to know how it is in todays world.

kinftw
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm

I didn't know it matter. :?

vikingwoman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2010, 7:13 am

I didn't know it mattered until my son started his swimming unit for gym class. He was the only kid with tightie whitie or whatever they call those things. He was teased by another ASD kid of all things. We haven't had a chance to shop for boxers but he keeps asking for boxer shorts...

All the muck seems to come up to the surface during swim class!

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 8:25 am

I wore briefs through high school and college. After reading all this, I'm surprised that no one made fun of me for it in high school. (I got bullied plenty for just being me, but no one said a word about my underwear.) I switched over to boxer briefs a few years ago. Vikingwoman, I would suggest the same for your son. They have the masculine look of boxers, but still hold the luggage securely in the cargo hold like briefs (which I'm sure is a concern for your son).

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 10:07 am

vikingwoman wrote:
I didn't know it mattered until my son started his swimming unit for gym class. He was the only kid with tightie whitie or whatever they call those things. He was teased by another ASD kid of all things. We haven't had a chance to shop for boxers but he keeps asking for boxer shorts...

All the muck seems to come up to the surface during swim class!

That's ridiculous! Instead of giving into bullies, why not have your son ask them why they are looking at his underwear and watching him undress?!?! :roll: I wore tighty whities, but I never got made fun of because of it - if I did, I sure as hell would speak up to someone who is doing something as ridiculous as criticizing my underwear! :roll: In my neck of the woods, a kid would be tormented for "being gay" if they made a comment about someone's underwear in a P.E. locker room.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 11:42 am

Boxer briefs seem to be the best of both worlds, and are commonly worn by the boys around my sons' age here (10). I buy them the Hanes ones that are tagless and have the "comfort soft" waistband, and they come in a variety of "boy-ish" patterns and colours, such as skulls and basketballs. The "tighty-whitey" kind are not commonly worn at all at this age, and I wonder if some boys associate them with girls' panties or toddler-age boys and thus the teasing? The only request my sons have made regarding underwear concerning their appearance (obviously finding just the right ones for comfort was a process) was at about age 7, when they not longer wanted characters on their underwear, as in Batman, Spiderman etc. because none of the other boys had those anymore and they worried those type were "babyish". I complied ASAP. They have enough to worry about already, without feeling self conscious about their clothing.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 11:55 am

DS asked for "tidy whities" because of teasing. No undressing - but I guess a glimpse of underwear during gymnastics is both unavoidable and something NT kids can't refrain from commenting on.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 1:41 pm

Dunno. My son has always worn colored underwear. In fact, character underwear was what he started with. I could see that getting him mocked (though he's still just 9 and they don't care yet). But in addition I've always had some boxer-briefs which he finds comfortable and honestly they're about the most modest... At least versus briefs. Nothing falls out, if you understand me.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

clarizel
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Nov 2010, 8:21 pm

I don't have an idea, my ds doesn't seem to care, he's not sensitive to any clothing tags either, but his sensitive to smells.He just wear the ones that I get him usually, he wore white undies before, nowadays he wears the boxer briefs same as his dad's, as usual when we're at the store I just quickly ask him if he like the colors and the style and he always answers "that's fine".but this year we're letting him pick-out what he wants to wear in regards to clothes.I know for some kids they are very particular about what they wear and such.

clarizel