A quarter for each time someone asked what's wrong with you

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

sandyt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2010, 4:52 am

...and I would never have to work again. What can you even say in a situation like that? My current answer is "I don't know" which will either result in a long drawn out attempt by that person to try to fix me or if I am lucky they will just quit at that because they realize the question was rude. It is sort of ironic because most people are trained not to say something like that but when your behavior is extremely abnormal they just get so confused it comes out. Either way I just want them to stop talking to me especially if they think something is wrong with me. It gets worst when the next time you see them (not by choice), they try to pretend they never asked that question. UHHH.....sorry no, that was rude and you are not longer worthy of speaking to me (you can try but I won't respond to you anymore). I just wanted to know what others say when they are approached with a equivalent question. Totally random but I think I should get a dollar for the time it was the beginning of a breakup aim conversation.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 8:50 am

sandyt wrote:
...and I would never have to work again. What can you even say in a situation like that? My current answer is "I don't know" which will either result in a long drawn out attempt by that person to try to fix me or if I am lucky they will just quit at that because they realize the question was rude. It is sort of ironic because most people are trained not to say something like that but when your behavior is extremely abnormal they just get so confused it comes out. Either way I just want them to stop talking to me especially if they think something is wrong with me. It gets worst when the next time you see them (not by choice), they try to pretend they never asked that question. UHHH.....sorry no, that was rude and you are not longer worthy of speaking to me (you can try but I won't respond to you anymore). I just wanted to know what others say when they are approached with a equivalent question. Totally random but I think I should get a dollar for the time it was the beginning of a breakup aim conversation.

Have you been diagnosed with AS? If you have, you could tell them that you have AS which involves difficulties in such and such etc.

If you're not comfortable with fully revealing your AS, then you could tell them your troubles with specific things when they arise. For example, if you have trouble remembering what people say to you in a conversation, tell them that you have "hearing difficulties" and that it'd be nice if they could slow down.

Sirius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Nov 2010, 6:53 pm

I usually don't get the verbal, "What's wrong with you?" but more of the disconcerting hawk like stare in their eyes that pretty much says the same thing.

But yes, a quarter for me too every time I get that!

sandyt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2010, 2:56 am

Amajanshi wrote:
sandyt wrote:

Have you been diagnosed with AS? If you have, you could tell them that you have AS which involves difficulties in such and such etc.

Not yet. Waiting for the lady who is starting that type of testing to get her stuff together. That way I would be able to get it for free, otherwise I would have to pay 250 according to my therapist.

If you're not comfortable with fully revealing your AS, then you could tell them your troubles with specific things when they arise. For example, if you have trouble remembering what people say to you in a conversation, tell them that you have "hearing difficulties" and that it'd be nice if they could slow down.

Sounds like a better suggestion. I think what makes me stand out the most is that I do not partake in social situations and I always look lost.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 3:05 am

Sirius wrote:
I usually don't get the verbal, "What's wrong with you?" but more of the disconcerting hawk like stare in their eyes that pretty much says the same thing.

But yes, a quarter for me too every time I get that!

1+ on that. :roll:

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 6:49 am

Hear! Hear! It happens to me heaps.

If it's coming from someone who isn't a close friend, I respond with either "nothing" while looking purposely cross :x , OR "If you knew me better you wouldn't ask" again while looking cross :x I feel that I've got nothing to lose with these responses

If it's a close friend or family member, then I'll "spill" if something's bothering me or just say "nothing...all's good" or "nothing...why do you ask?" or "nothing" and I'll brighten my expression especially for them. :P

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 7:22 pm

Well, if I had a quarter for every time people ask if I'm Jewish...

Hey, are you Jewish?
Yeah, why?
Cause you have a Jew nose!

It never gets old. I just tell people I'm sorry for killing their Lord. That usually catches them off guard

Cloudsky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2010, 7:53 pm

Yes, often. My husband says people often ask if I'm ok because I didnt acknowledge them. I was maybe preoccupied and just didnt really see them. It also happens if I wear makeup. I mostly dont wear makeup because it feels dirty. When I do it must be so unusual that people think I'm sick :D