What weight does an IQ test hold?, REALLY

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 1:34 pm

In my sincere opinion, I feel that IQ scores are just a rough idea of one's skill level not something that say, this person can do everything or nothing in this world.Honestly, upon my diagnosis of AS my IQ score was relatively low.Actually 82 to be precise but, I've done a great many things skill wise despite what a numerical reference indicates so, the way I see it is that it depends on many factors other than just a test to realistically show the total outcome of one's abilities throughout life..

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 2:31 pm

menintights wrote:
theexternvoid wrote:
There is very strong evidence that IQ is correlated with your success in life. This applies across the board. Some people claim that it's biased. If true then it's biased towards people who are pre-disposed for success, which means that it is still a useful measurement.

Bear in mind that this is a statistical correlation. That means someone with a 200 IQ who can't tie his shoes might be an abject failure in life. But his odds of that outcome are less than the guy with a 70 IQ who can tie his shoes. And vice versa: a low IQ scoring person could be a huge success, but the odds of that are lower. It's always important to never apply statistical conclusions to individuals, only to populations.

IQ (on its own) rarely matters unless it's ridiculously low or ridiculously high, which translates to IQ being irrelevant to most of us in the middle. Oddly enough, you chose to give examples of people who are on the opposite extremes end of the spectrum.

Depends what your definiton of 'rarely matters' is I suppose, but it is a truth that as far as employment 'status' i.e. earnings goes IQ is the single best predictor, so if that matters - then IQ matters.
menintights wrote:
I'd also like you to let you know that we don't all share your definition of "success." I know a lot of people like to equate "money" (and sometimes "fame") with "success," but sheesh. It's this kind of idiocies that makes me hate people.

Now that, I agree whole heartedly.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 3:19 pm

The school just gave my kid an IQ test he is 4. He was not paying an ounce of attention, has a severe speech delay and etc. I'm pissed they tried to tell me he has severe mental retardation. He is moderately autistic potty trained, knows how to count to four, knows some letters, colors, shapes, matching and etc. All the test proves is he doesn't test well.........and wtf were they thinking giving a 4 yr old an IQ test and telling me that it will determine the entirety of his educational experience. I don't think so. If he's maajorly speech delayed A VERBAL test doesn't prove a danged thing. Of course he can't tell you the labels he's got a speech delay. He could do most of the tasks in a low pressure environment without time limits. I'm going to rake them over the coals tomorrow.

When I was 6 I was given an IQ test and I had a major seizure in the middle of it. I scored low surprise surprise and the school decided I was not intelligent. Well guess what I am, my IQ is above average.

J0lt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2010, 3:29 pm

kate123A wrote:
The school just gave my kid an IQ test he is 4. He was not paying an ounce of attention, has a severe speech delay and etc. I'm pissed they tried to tell me he has severe mental retardation. He is moderately autistic potty trained, knows how to count to four, knows some letters, colors, shapes, matching and etc. All the test proves is he doesn't test well.........and wtf were they thinking giving a 4 yr old an IQ test and telling me that it will determine the entirety of his educational experience. I don't think so. If he's maajorly speech delayed A VERBAL test doesn't prove a danged thing. Of course he can't tell you the labels he's got a speech delay. He could do most of the tasks in a low pressure environment without time limits. I'm going to rake them over the coals tomorrow.

When I was 6 I was given an IQ test and I had a major seizure in the middle of it. I scored low surprise surprise and the school decided I was not intelligent. Well guess what I am, my IQ is above average.

DEMAND that he be retested with the Raven's. It doesn't rely on verbal skills, is untimed, and is much more likely to keep your child's attention. If you need evidence that the Raven's is a much more appropriate instrument for your child, PM me your email address and I'll send you a couple of journal papers to bolster your case.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 5:12 pm

Kate123-The same exact thing happened with my son. He is 5 now, but when he was tested at 4, it came back a 65-borderline mentally ret*d. I don't believe it either, and the school psychologist even said that it is hard to test a young child with ASD and get an accurate result, so I am with you. Why even do it?

My son was potty trained at 4, he knows all of his letters, numbers,shapes. He is very verbal and speaks in full sentences perfectly articulated. He can tell you what letter almost any word begins with. His memory is off the charts. He feeds himself, and goes to the refrigerator and gets his own food. He also knows the days of the week, and when he wakes up in the morning, he knows what day it is. He can count to 100. They told me that he would always be able to learn information that is static, but that he would have trouble with problem solving.

I don't accept the results of the test, but I figure why bother having him retested at this point. My son has ADHD issues as well, and I think he was just distracted and not paying attention to the test. I think I will wait until he is a little older and his brain has more time to develop.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 5:39 pm

On the reverse my school told my parents they were pretty sure I was ret*d and I would have to go to a special school. I didn't seem to learn very well but my parents were adament I was fine.
I lived inside my head most of the time and basically just looked out the window and day dreamed. I would sometimes be snapped out of my stupor by the sound of childrens laughter and realise the teacher was poking fun at me.
Queue some type of IQ testing where I apparently scored in the top 2%. I was never told this and thought I was deficient all through school. I can vaguely remember the test had things like a train with smoke coming out the top and a comb with missing teeth so it was some type of test of logic or something. It was 37 years ago mind.
I'm NT so perhaps the test suited me.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 6:14 pm

When I was in school, I scored really high on a math placement test but the rest of the time I just daydreamed and was really lazy about doing math assignments. The teacher called me to her desk and seemed irritated that I did so well on this one particular test but didn't make much effort any other time. It's an aggravation for teachers. They expect your test score to reflect your performance. She wouldn't let me go on to the more advanced class because of my performance, though. It was like my test score never existed.