Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AmeliaJane
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2006, 5:47 pm

Been lurking for a while, and was inspired to post a couple of times last week. Suddenly realised I hadn't introduced myself-how rude! :oops:

I'm NT, and I was doing some research on Aspergers for work (I work for Social Services) a couple of months ago, and I realised that it totally fit my partner. I found WP and read the thread 'You might be an Aspie if...' and was convinced. I ran home excitedly with my discovery and it answered a lot of questions for him too. He tested 132 on the quiz (I scored 33!)

Since I started learning how he thinks, it's turned a very difficult relationship onto an excellent one. I tried the groups for NT partners but they were depressing and negative. I could completely relate to the things they said, but all those problems happened because I didn't know WHY.

There are frustrations, obviously, but all couples have those. Now I know about the AS it's not even an issue. AS/NT relationships CAN work, we're proving it!

I love this group. When I get calls for help at work from parents whose kids have been diagnosed, I'm telling them that the first and most important thing is to join this community. Make sure that Aspie knows he/she isn't weird, and isn't alone. Asprgers is a real grey area in UK social services at the moment-it doesn't really fit into the Lerning Disability box, as Aspies are generally smarter than the social worker, and it's not a mental illness, although adult undiagnosed Aspies tend to have been through the Mental Health service. The list of mental health resources posted on this site have now been passed around Kent Social Services, along with the WP URL.

Well, a bit more longwinded than I'd intended, but never mind.
Hello! :)

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Jun 2006, 7:41 pm

hi

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 3:52 pm

I am so glad that things are working out between you and your partner, AmeliaJane, since discovering his aspieness, I'm really happy for the two of you. Welcome to WP :D

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 8:29 pm

This is a great site, and it's got a lot of very cool people, and reading the parents forum is really instructive.
BTDT

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 12:35 am

Hiya! Welcome to WP.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 3:30 am

Hello!

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 8:51 am

Always good to hear about when a relationship works between an NT and an Aspie :P Gives some of us hope.

As far as 'weird' goes, I don't see that as something that's negative, but that's just (weird) me.

AmeliaJane
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jun 2006, 3:15 am

I agree... I like weird! There's nothing worse than being 'ordinary'.
I fell in love with Les's Aspieness anyway... he said people always thought he was odd but he was the most interesting person I ever met! He may have driven me nuts over the years but he's never bored me...