Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2010, 10:20 pm

Yes, I hate shortened words, abbreviations and acronyms (you may notice in my posts I almost never use them). Typically I say 'person with Asperger Syndrome', which is nevertheless a bit of a mouthful when you are just having a quick chat.

Yanks28th
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2010, 2:06 pm

Ooo, then I should stop using it haha. I use it to descrbibe myself and others, I didn't realize it annoys so many people. I'll lay off it from now on.

Jukilum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2010, 10:28 pm

I don't see it that way. To me it is a nice word to describe people with asperger's. I call myself an aspie sometimes. The word is easy on the lips. I haven't ever seen or heard anyone use it in a derogatory manner. I don't see why the word should stop being used. Has it ever been used on you derogatorily or do you just simply dislike the word itself?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 10:39 pm

I never personally liked it or the autie reference. That does not mean others should not like it or feel they shouldn't call others it. I was online since Aspergia was still going. To me I don't like being known as a diagnosis as it disvalues me being me and I don't want to think of myself as stereotypes. However despite a label having negative and positive attributes autism and so on is not that important to me. I just don't think of it too often and is not important to me. Also the neurotypical verbiage frustrates me in a somewhat similar way as the logic is far to generalized and psychosocially compartmentalized and serves more as a social construct in socialization which is not natural. I'm just not into it.

If such logic were noise I'd be very mad at the overbearing sound.

Jukilum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2010, 4:57 pm

I think I understand what you are saying better now. You make some very good points.

marcusbrute
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
it really pisses me off. it sounds too cute. i feel like an african american and the n word.

I feel sort of similar. Like the n word (although obviously not to the same degree), it's offensive when other people (i.e. neurotypicals) use it, butwhen aspies use it to describe themselves, it can be a term of endearment. It can get annoying if you have to keep saying "people with asperger's syndrome" in a long conversation.

Really, I'm trying to bring back the word 'autist'. It has a sort of class to it.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 12:29 am

I don't use the term "aspie" as much as the term "awesome".

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 12:33 am

marcusbrute wrote:
imbatshitcrazy wrote:
it really pisses me off. it sounds too cute. i feel like an african american and the n word.

I feel sort of similar. Like the n word (although obviously not to the same degree), it's offensive when other people (i.e. neurotypicals) use it, butwhen aspies use it to describe themselves, it can be a term of endearment. It can get annoying if you have to keep saying "people with asperger's syndrome" in a long conversation.

Really, I'm trying to bring back the word 'autist'. It has a sort of class to it.

I always thought the new "N" word was the Neurotypical phrase because people call it 666 and it's commonly viewed in a negative ways like white people used to call black males boys but that was light hearted at first one would think. Even though the so called "typical" people don't even know about their "N" word diagnoses at times in retribution for labeling people when applicable that don't even know they are one or know they labeled someone else. 99.99% of human life typical or not, which kind of upsets me that people would assume me as other then part of normal, are not even aware of the rarely known "a" words aside from a diagnoses of autism and people do not think of people as a label even then most of the time.

Bullying can be a mutual thing, hate takes time and is derived of ignorances and despondencies even if mutual.

The whole wording of people with autism and people with Asperger's syndrome is purely awareness. Where I live I am quite known for my advocacy projects. I always tell media and others I am a person not a diagnoses. What comprises me is self and the labels a method of receiving assistance solely. It seems personally to me demeaning to manifest a psychiatric, psychological and or medical criterion to my very self as an identity in reference rather then simply human. I tolerate it only so much in context to myself for the reasons of awareness but as time passes my patients will not endure as a public advocate and I will crack down on it in the media in a special way.

As far as African Americans anyone else aside from an African American cannot feel like one in a "cultural" sense. The differences between people with black skin histologicaly which manifest the frameworks of what might be portrayed of this feeling is unique and not similar. People with autism have a differing histology and subjective experience.

This Aspie toward N.T concept despondency complex is very self-fulfilling and socially wasteful in my opinion. It is the "us" vs. "them", focusing on "us" being different then others and formulating as well an "us". I have always perceived it as part of a methodology by which to manifest social causations psychosocially to network people for reasons of adaptations and politics.

I strongly perceive and have always perceived the Aspie, Autie, Autist and so on concepts as social frameworks and of which I have no specific desire for due to a simple lack of interest.

Nathan Young

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 2:05 pm

I like Aspie, but I absolutely hate Aspergian.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 6:18 pm

Aspergian sounds like a religious cult or some alien race on a bad Sci Fi show. To me, Aspie sounds like a term of endearment so I don't mind. I also prefer words with fewer syllables when having to repeat them over and over in a conversation.

Anything beats "Assburger Syndrome", which is a far more popular Google search term than Aspergers, Aspie or Aspergian.

martyfan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Dec 2010, 8:58 pm

I enjoyed reading Ci's post, especially -

Quote:
"I am a person not a diagnoses."

I guess despite the thought that goes into it, not many people are really seeking a label. Being called person x with Asperger's Syndrome categorises you so, as a community the term Aspie has derived as a light-hearted name in exchange for something that sounds serious. It's strange though, because it's still a label (though if not more endearing).

Either way, I'd sooner be referred to as a person and not an 'Aspie' but I have no overwhelming opinion either way.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 9:50 pm

Even when I was on the Aspergian website I never thought of myself as an Aspergian like others did. I think although I cannot be sure this has to do with the desire to fit in socially. I can recall in school people calling me dude. I had a dog named dude and I would say I have a dog named dude. If people want to join clubs, perspectives and political parties and affiliate themselves to them this is a choice and a human right. It is like a fan club and a fan club of a developmental condition or said difference.

I just lack the desire to entertain it and like observing like in all things in life to enjoy the understanding of it logically. I have no personal desire for any kind of social clique terminologies so to fit in. Socially innately it is a common resulting manifestion of social inclusion for the preservation of self-interest and that goes on into the primal instincts. The sexuality component is obvious which I will not further describe for reasons of dignity and the adaption component in advocacy sharing common subscribed identities. The social play and imagination in theory is not necessarily a demanded identity comfortably of the terminologies for any kind of innate preservation of the group as it is not manifest here thus far but that of the emotions having to do with self-understanding by means of shared diagnostic criterion. Therefore the issue of diagnostic identity does not seem to be a dire issue of preservation of those of similarity (typology) so any attempt to exclude those whom do not desire this identity social framework should for this reasons be still accepted or it may just be political.

If needed I will figure it out.

Nathan Young

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 7:31 am

marcusbrute wrote:
imbatshitcrazy wrote:

yeah like african americans call each other the n word but white people can't

also we call "normal" people neurotypicals just like african americans call white people crackers

ci
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 7:39 pm

Calling someone a cracker is a far cry from much greater injustices in the past. If I was ever called a cracker I'd just say would you like me to smear some cream cheese on my face to make me tasty. I think it's important to note that most people that are black are not divisive. Martin Luther King Jr. was a perfect example of a moralist and inclusionist that focused less on divide and more upon the spirit of mutual humanities whilst progressing civil rights. A great lesson should be learned from Doctor King to advance other movements and including the autism integration movement.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:27 pm

i don't think my offering "opsablepsiast" has a chance, but it might be worthwhile to reclaim "dork" as a positive sobriquet.

reasoning." --William Blake

ci
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:46 pm

graywyvern wrote:
i don't think my offering "opsablepsiast" has a chance, but it might be worthwhile to reclaim "dork" as a positive sobriquet.

This reminds me of a textbook teaching uncommon sense strategies to create common sense. In other words what are you saying?