Time To Have Our Own Aspergers Hand Sign?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Would You Use This?
Yes 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
No 76%  76%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 38

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2010, 10:24 am

Renagade wrote:
ColdBlooded wrote:
The hand sign is a good idea, but I don't think a nightclub would be a good place to find other people with aspergers, lol.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers and I’ve never had any problems with night clubs. However I guess everyone is different. I’m guessing that they’ll be a few other Aspies that love to dance the night away in such dives!

Yep, I've always loved nightclubs too, so long as they're playing decent music and not full of people who are too trendy to dance.

Love the sign by the way :D

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2010, 11:23 am

Playing rock paper scissors lizard spock by yourself. :roll:

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 12:31 pm

A washable tattoo easily visible on the arm or hand, a ring or a bright colored unique bracelet would be better...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 12:35 pm

My hand sign: My index finger up my arse.

ruveyn

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 1:52 pm

hands on the ears?
ok :arrow:

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Nov 2010, 2:08 pm

Watch out! As "disconnected" from the social inner circles as some of us are, we might accidentally adopt a hand sign which mimics a gang signal, and we might wind up with a tragedy someplace where an Aspie is mistaken for a Hoover 13 Krip, or something.

How about just announcing out loud "THERE ARE THREE BURNED OUT BULBS IN THE BUILDING!! !!" , OR "WHY IS THERE ONE MISMATCHED CEILING TILE" when you enter a restaurant... Anything that's clearly an out-of-context observation, voiced awkwardly.... That will let every other Aspie know you're one of us.

I wear a MedicAlert bracelet, which tells emergency personnel that I might freak out and hurt them/myself if restrained or wake up under bright examination lights, etc. As far as for social situations, I have tried to hone my "Aspie Radar". I have no problem openly discussing my Autism, but there are times I wouldn't announce it; such as at a motorcycle riders' club gathering, or when writing a politically-charged newspaper editorial. There are times it could be used against us, or other times it might help us. I have a marking on my driver's license, which says "High Functioning Autism may appear as nervous or guilty demeanor". This seems to help cut the number of times I get held and held by police, who spot my unusual behavior, and think I'm planning a bombing or a government take-over, or something, LOL.

As far as fellow Aspies and the HFA community identifying me as on the Spectrum, I have a puzzle piece bumper sticker, and wear a puzzle piece pendant, and I have a huge tattoo of an air raid siren made up of puzzle pieces with one missing, on my left shoulder. If that isn't plain enough, I'd have to wear a spelled-out T-shirt.

Charles

Renagade
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2010, 8:18 am

MONKEY wrote:

I like this one :D

It’d no doubt make a good montage on a wrong planet video if a lot of us did it!

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 10:22 am

I don't like, because of the fact the person is using the middle digit to cross the A.
@ MONKEY: I actually like that idea.

DylanLarkins
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2010, 10:30 am

Come on, you guys... The AS handsign was invented almost 50 years ago.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 1:35 pm

Renegade, that needs to be done. And have our usernames on the pictures too.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 3:54 pm

You'd know I had Aspergers the second I walked in the room thanks to my (not so discreet) Tourettes blurting out 'I'm f*****g autistic!'

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 4:05 pm

sorry but we need someone who has been singed their whole life to give succession..even small g is made by holding
3 fingers in your cheek in here

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2010, 6:00 pm

How bout flap your wrists and say "ah"

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 8:13 pm

You mean there isn't already some stupid colored ribbon fo aspies?

Any decent hand sign would have to look like stimming.

Quote:
How about just announcing out loud "THERE ARE THREE BURNED OUT BULBS IN THE BUILDING!! !!" , OR "WHY IS THERE ONE MISMATCHED CEILING TILE" when you enter a restaurant... Anything that's clearly an out-of-context observation, voiced awkwardly.... That will let every other Aspie know you're one of us.

Holy crap. I see stuff like this all the time. Learned awhile ago to keep my mouth shut.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2010, 8:41 pm

Renagade wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

I like this one :D

I second that motion. This is the best one I've seen so far, but something is needed that can be done more discreetly and with a single hand. You need to be very quick to throw your fingers together into that position at just the right time without looking like a total klutz when you are fighting those cognitive delays to begin with.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 8:52 pm

I like Monkey's idea for the hand sign.

Dylan yeah that's definitely a good one, the problem is people will probably think you are just a Star Trek fan lol, I always liked that sign tho.

Live long and prosper :)

DylanLarkins wrote:
Come on, you guys... The AS handsign was invented almost 50 years ago.