North Korea fires on disputed South Korean island

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2010, 3:18 am

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea — North and South Korea exchanged artillery fire on Tuesday after dozens of shells fired from the North struck a South Korean island near the countries’ disputed western sea border, South Korean military officials said.

The South Korean military immediately went to “crisis status,” said a Defense Ministry official. There were widespread media reports that Seoul had scrambled F-16 fighter jets but the official declined to confirm whether the planes were in the air.

The South Korean broadcaster YTN reported that one marine had been killed and three others seriously wounded in the shelling on the island, in addition to two civilian casualties. TV footage showed large plumes of black smoke spiraling from the island.

South Korean artillery units returned fire after the North’s shells struck South Korea’s Yeonpyeong Island at 2:34 p.m., said Kiyheon Kwon, an official at the Defense Ministry . The North also fired numerous rounds into the Yellow Sea, he said.

Source

I can't remember an incident this serious happening between North and South for a long time. I hope this one simply blows over, although I can't see anything but South Korea striking back at this point (although I hope I'm wrong.)

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 4:06 am

Lovely. This is where the clusterf**k begins, people. North and South are gonna go at it, and once they do the s**t will hit the fan. America, Europe, and Japan will side with SK, Russia and China will side with NK, and best case scenario we have Cold War II, worst case: World War III.

I just can't see how China or Russia can sanely declare their allegiance with North Korea. I know that they have ties to Russia and whatnot, they're all Communist countries, but if you took a decent look at the conditions in North Korea, the state of the people as opposed to the government, and the fact that the Ill dynasty is full of paranoid warmongerers that should'nt even be interacting with the general population, let alone governing them. That entire nation is something bad waiting to happen, and if they do provoke someone like the US it would be wise to not be on their side lest you catch the wrath of the Allies. But then again, they are all united under the sickle and star, so I guess there's no other option.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 5:39 am

Personally, I'm still hoping world WW3. Just sayin'.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 5:11 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Lovely. This is where the clusterf**k begins, people. North and South are gonna go at it, and once they do the sh** will hit the fan. America, Europe, and Japan will side with SK, Russia and China will side with NK, and best case scenario we have Cold War II, worst case: World War III.

I just can't see how China or Russia can sanely declare their allegiance with North Korea. I know that they have ties to Russia and whatnot, they're all Communist countries, but if you took a decent look at the conditions in North Korea, the state of the people as opposed to the government, and the fact that the Ill dynasty is full of paranoid warmongerers that should'nt even be interacting with the general population, let alone governing them. That entire nation is something bad waiting to happen, and if they do provoke someone like the US it would be wise to not be on their side lest you catch the wrath of the Allies. But then again, they are all united under the sickle and star, so I guess there's no other option.

Russians have stated their displeasure about the North's activities. Pretty much just the Chinese now, and they're starting to look a little bit like a parent with a particularly naughty child in a busy shop.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2010, 5:24 pm

It's obvious that Obama won't bomb NK; he wants to look good in front of the United Nimcompoops. So my question is why can't we just assassinate KJI? The CIA has done it before to dictators who have pulled much less crap.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 5:49 pm

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
It's obvious that Obama won't bomb NK; he wants to look good in front of the United Nimcompoops. So my question is why can't we just assassinate KJI? The CIA has done it before to dictators who have pulled much less crap.

Obama considers dictators to be friends and Americans that disagree with him to be enemies.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 5:58 pm

I don't think this will escalate right now but I could be wrong. Remember the sinking of a South Korean ship earlier this year? That was pretty serious as well. Yes, this was bad but it has happened many times since 1953. Just not this often (twice in one year). Lets pray for the South Korean people and our soldiers (yes they are still there from the Korean War but most people know this already. If there is another strike from North Korea in the next 24 hours then this will escalate to another war but technically North and South Korea are still at war they only signed a cease fire. If this calms down over the next 24 hours then I say we are safe for now.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 6:02 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
BroncosRtheBest wrote:

Obama considers dictators to be friends and Americans that disagree with him to be enemies.

No ones claiming Obama is chummy with dictators. (Well, maybe you)
Besides, assasinating Kim wouldn't accomplish anything but set off the the wasp nest that NK is. They'd just replace him and attack anyway.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

bobbysands
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2010, 4:48 am

TechnicalPacifist wrote:

The USA wants war, because her economy is screwed and she hates peace and loves imperialism, stealing other nations wealth and resources. terrorism, inequality, eugenics, bigotry and hatred. Her economy is based on the sale of military arms.

So I wouldn't be at all suprised if the USA started the firing.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 4:56 am

TechnicalPacifist wrote:

We won't be "neutral" this time. No one will.

:::)

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 7:48 am

Better get ready.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg7s_PLLHIw&feature=fvst[/youtube]

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 8:55 am

Non stop news in Seoul. I have family still living in South Korea. I do hope nothing bad happens between the N and S. :( I also did live on a US Military base in South Korea.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2010, 9:10 am

Inuyasha wrote:
BroncosRtheBest wrote:

Source?

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2010, 9:13 am

SoulcakeDuck wrote:
TechnicalPacifist wrote:

I'll stick my bets on what happend in the last 2 world wars; America will stay neutral for ages and will only start fighting when they get directly attacked, then will take all the credit. XD

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 11:32 am

SDFarsight wrote:
SoulcakeDuck wrote:
TechnicalPacifist wrote:

I'll stick my bets on what happend in the last 2 world wars; America will stay neutral for ages and will only start fighting when they get directly attacked, then will take all the credit. XD

:lol: "like"

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 11:52 am

SDFarsight wrote:
SoulcakeDuck wrote:
TechnicalPacifist wrote:

*facepalm for truth*