Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 5:49 am

Ever feel that your voice, your speech, is out-of-sync with your thoughts? Experiences?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 6:07 am

my thoughts all bubble away,
like a boiling pot of goo.
worldy words can not stick to them,
'cause they froth around what's true.
when the bubbles all congeal,
to a single bubble.. i do
collect my voice and announce my choice
of what to say to you.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 7:26 am

b9 wrote:
of what to say to you.

Brilliant.

eggshellbluesky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2010, 8:17 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
b9 wrote:
of what to say to you.

Brilliant.

+1 :)

River
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2010, 9:05 am

That's basically every time I talk.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 9:20 am

About every third time I say something significant [aside from lectures, which follow different rules] it falls flat, I cannot find other words, resort to diagrams which often still fail.

Zedition
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2010, 9:26 am

At work, I've trained myself to trick my thoughts into a loop. I count the connections. When I reach the third idea down the line from the original idea, I try to remember my original idea. That way, I'm not thinking too far ahead of where I'm talking and forgetting my original point.

My wife says she doesn't have the problem. She says she doesn't think faster than she talks. It's like she needs to remember each word as she speaks it.

That's crazy. I can blaze through many connections in seconds. I usually have two thought streams running, my conscious thinking which is verbal - or 'that guy on who stands on the soapbox and never shuts up'. You know who he is, he's the same voice in your head that reads words and listens, then just starts jabbering again when you have nothing to read or listen too. He's not a figment or anything crazy, he's just how your conscious mind communicates. The other stream are the ideas. There are not words to explain the ideas, sometimes they are pictures, usually they are concepts, but they are always there, making connections, taking any kind of input and just 'sparking' in the background. If a spark is interesting, the soapbox guy grabs it and start explaining how it works in verbal language and pictures. When I use the creative part of my mind, I pay attention to the ideas part instead of the soapbox guy.

Talking has nothing to do with thinking. For me, speaking and language are an unconscious reaction, like blinking. I wonder if NT's only have the soapbox guy in their head, or just don't know how to pay attention to the ideas part.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 10:55 am

Zedition wrote:
At work, I've trained myself to trick my thoughts into a loop. I count the connections. When I reach the third idea down the line from the original idea, I try to remember my original idea. That way, I'm not thinking too far ahead of where I'm talking and forgetting my original point.

I don't count the connections but I seem to have developed a sense for when I'm "thinking in tangents." What seems to happen is that a line of thought sparks off another line of thought, and usually I'll find myself jumping to the second line, in the (somewhat optimistic) hope of returning to the original shortly. But then the second line of thought sparks off a third, etc., until the original thought is long forgotten. My coping strategy is to try to limit the number of new lines to 2......though usually I end up with 3 or more. Then, once I've stopped the process, I try to remember the previous line(s). One thing's for sure - the impression that I've forgotten the previous line is often wrong...if I focus and keep calm, I can usually rescue the data. What baffles me is, why does the new line of thought always seem so important that I can't just ignore it and stick to the previous one?

As for synching speech with thoughts, sometimes my voice runs ahead of my thoughts, though mostly I think they're working in tandem. Occasionally words just come out. E.g. I'd been working with this guy who I felt was rather domineering, though I hadn't really brought that idea into full consciousness. Somebody suggested that I worked with him again, and I replied "he just wants a skivvy." It was only then that I realised he was domineering. Other times my talking just runs away with itself and I've no idea what I'm saying until I hear it, though that's usually when I'm tired or stressed. The "extra" words usually make some kind of sense but I usually regain my conscious grip on things as soon as I notice I've lost it, as I don't trust such utterances - they might be unclear, or they might reveal things about myself that I don't want to reveal. Part of the reason for the disconnection of my voice with my thoughts seems to be a compulsion to speak at all costs under certain social conditions......one of my current mantras is "if you don't have anything to say, don't say it." But it's not always easy to stick to it.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 11:09 am

Write speech topic

I prefer to write, rather than talk, as it is much easier to recall thoughts.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 11:10 am

My thoughts constantly run ahead of my words, both written and spoken. My handwriting is terrible. I can't write more than a sentence or two without making mistakes.

Skinnyboy
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2010, 4:28 pm

I've never thought of it as being out of sync with my thoughts, but I see it as out of sync with everyone else's talking. I never know when to jump in but my thoughts sure go on and on about possible things to say.

duck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2010, 6:22 am

i can rarely verbally articulate something as accurately as i experience it in thought. my train of thought may rely too much on mental visuals, so...

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 8:38 am

Definitely. Things are much clearer, much more concise, much more detailed, & make much more sense in my mind. But when I try to verbalize them, everything comes out wrong. I do much better if I can just write down what I want to say than when I actually have to speak it. Speaking ruins a lot of things for me.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 10:30 am

my voice is always in sync with my mind.
since i usually only talk to myself, then i appreciate the fact that i can keep my attention by saying things that i am ready to hear.

if the other people out there do not understand, then i see it in a similar way to people who run to catch a bus that they should have known they could not catch, and if they wind up sliding along on their faces after they fail to grasp me, then i am long gone before someone tells me of the incident.