Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lissy983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2010, 3:23 pm

There are certain things I don't pay enough attention to learn. Things that I don't have a particular interest in and i figure i won't have to do again... and then there is things i do on a regular basis that never occur to me that i am doing wrong and twenty seven years later someone finally tells me. For instance you know how if you drop a soda or shake it and then try to open it it goes everywhere... well I knew that but i wasn't that interested in the why and how and when it happens all i noticed is that anytime i open a 2 litter soda it goes everywhere. Since I had rarely seen this happen to other people I just figured i had bad luck. My mom told me today that there is a special way you are suppose to open carbonated drinks... and after she explained it it made sense... i just wish i could have been a little more inquisitive or someone could've provided me with that information before the age of 27 cause it makes me feel silly.

My mom always said that I am just like my aunt. Which isn't bad because my aunt is like a genius she lives alone, never had children, has a great job, plays in an orchestra, travels, and plenty of land and animals. Except that when she tells me that I'm like my aunt she means that i am book smart with no common sense.
Anyone else get this..? and what types of things or what things took you long to figure out? Or am i just all alone in this?

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 8:00 pm

I totally understand what you mean.

Luckily, I am VERY inquisitive, so if something goes wrong, I WILL find a fix to it.

Like the soda example, I just observed the soda and etc, but other things don't come from watching.

I actually have a story about this:
We have this stoplight, at the intersection to our local High school, that is semi-broken.
What I mean by semi-broken is that it shows the walker person for 3 sec., and goes to the blinking hand.
Now, when I was younger, I didn't really get out of the house very much.
One rare day, my brother and my mom and I were walking from a game that way.
I knew nothing about traffic, so I thought that you could ONLY walk across when there was the walker person.
While I had skipped ahead, I was at the crosswalk.
I tried SO hard to get across, but only made it halfway.
It started to blink red, and I ran back to the other side I had started on.
My mom asked me why I did this, and I told her my version of what the traffic rules were.
She then explained about how you can walk when there is a blinking hand, just not a red hand.
I'm pretty sure this falls into the common sense category.

(and there is plenty more stories like this where that came from)
You are not alone...thankfully, I'm not either. :)

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 8:25 pm

People have told me I lack common sense before too. I think it has more to do with not knowing what to do or how to act in certain social situations. I am the one that will usually experiment and figure out why something works the way it does. Other people will just accept that is the way things are, or will do something because that is the way they have always done it, even when it is wasteful or unnecesary. I do understand what you are saying that people just assume that you already know how to do something like you are supposed to be born with that knowledge.

lissy983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2010, 2:03 am

sometimes i have problems with people when i am trying to figure out and make sense of things. Like yesterday when i was preparing some stuffing for thanksgiving, (I have only recently tried to start learning how to cook) my mom has told me that if i take the lid off of something the liquid boils out if you put a lid on the pot the you don't lose the liquid which is logical and not that difficult to grasp once becoming focused on it. The trouble comes in when she tells me to stick a lid on the stuffing while it was still all soupy looking... Of course i asked a series of questions thinking maybe there is an exception to the rule to make it make sense to me. Thats when it seemed as though she was second guessing herself and getting us both confused... the stuffing came out fine but she was a bit annoyed with me after that. The same applies to most things i try to figure out with questions. People get defensive or annoyed. Maybe i don't need that much information to cook stuffing but i don't think i have that much interest in certain things to look them up or read a book on the subject... idk but I'm glad I don't feel as silly now

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 6:03 pm

I'm like that too, Im told i have no common sense when it comes to everyday kind of stuff althought I have a lot of uncommon sense in really random areas. I think its just because i'm young and havn't had as much social or life experiences as my friends who are NT. im kind of their hermit friend who comes out only sometimes while they hang out everyday, so I definitely see where im lagging.

as far as things like opening a bottle of soda I do that kind of stuff a lot....I just go about doing things in the way i think is logical and not really care about the 'proper' way of doing things. this is the main reason why I am corrected by others frequently or called a ret*d.