Need help with a school assignment

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tenalp11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2010, 5:19 pm

I'm a long-timer lurker here, and I thought this would be a good place to ask for help. Here are the details of the assignment.

It is for a social work class called "Encounters in Human Diversity". Some excerpts from the instructions:
"Students will identify and interview an individual who is diverse in race, ethnicity, age, gender, class, religion, and or sexual orientation. Student will ascertain the social, cultural, and historical factors that shaped the person's life. Students will also discuss the personal and environmental challenges the individual faced, the strengths he/she has exhibited throughout his/her life, and the historical contexts within which he/she lived. After the interview, students will use the information gathered, along with the material covered in class and in the textbook to write an oral history report celebrating this person's life and the events and circumstances that shaped it. Students will also reflect on this individual's story and describe how this experience has impacted and influenced his/her opinions, as well as how s/he might build upon this experience to combat social injustice."

There's an amazing array of diversity here on WP, and I'm sure there are some people who would enjoy the discussion or just helping another aspie get his homework done. If you think you're a good subject and would enjoy the experience, please let me know!
Steve

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 5:20 pm

Are you asking to interview one of us? Kind of confused by the post.

tenalp11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2010, 5:43 pm

Yes, I am.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 5:47 pm

I'll gladly help you with your assignment. Send me a PM with all your questions enclosed and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. :)

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 3:57 am

Sounds easy to me.

Just walk into the local hangout of the Crips or Bloods or Hells Angels or a hard-core lesbian motorcycle bar or a crack house and start asking them personal questions.

You will probably get some interesting answers but you will fail your assignment because you will be in hospital for the next few months. :D

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 6:05 pm

tenalp11 wrote:
"Students will identify and interview an individual who is diverse in race, ethnicity, age, gender, class, religion, and or sexual orientation."

On a pedantic note, the way your assignment has been worded seems strange to me.
For example, I can see how a person might possess diverse talents, but it is harder for me to see how a person could be diverse in, say, age.
Then again, you get individuals with Aspergers calling themselves neurodiverse, when it would make more sense to me to apply the adjective neurodiverse to a mixed group of aspies and neurotypicals.

Pedantry aside, I think I understand the sort of thing the assignment is asking for - something along the lines of what Wombat said (but less dangerous!) :)