Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

marcvs9955
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2010, 11:59 pm

Hopefully I put this in the right forum. XP

I have AS (what? someone on WP has AS? who would have thought!) and coming from that neurological disposition I have thus social issues and such.
Something I've been wondering about is my relations with the opposite sex. Since entering my teenage years (I'm 15 at the time of writing) I've had an increasing preference for friends of the opposite sex. Most of my closer friends are girls and I find myself being the only guy. This can be slightly nerve-wracking but if they're nice girls (which would describe the kind of girls I like to hang out with - it wouldn't make sense to hang out around the unpleasent) it's not really an issue.
My "best friend" for most of this year (it doesn't seem like we're even friends anymore due to some things that occurred, but I'm not about to go into that, 'tis a tale for another thread, hopefully one where I can get some hint as to why such things would happen) was a girl. I think I'm driving the point home reasonably well. Other people at school must notice my preference for girl friends because I've endured some rambling about me being gay (which I am not) because of how I always talk to them. :p
Is there anything about AS, at least in males, about having a preference for opposite sex friends or am I just an anomaly amongst anomalies?

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 12:56 am

I don't know, but I always preferred guy friends to girls, but I def. have girl-friends as well. But, guys I get along with generally more. Or at least warm up to faster.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 1:40 am

i get along with men more easily but i always thought it was as much to do with their less severe expectations of social behavior as my being a bit androgynous in character.

i think it's somewhat common though for those with AS not to identify as much with the expectations of their gender. it makes sense if you think about it as biological sex is innate but gender is a social construct, and when it comes to social expectations we tend to be quite lost.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 6:30 am

My best friend is a male (Im female). I get along with him better since he is not hyperfocused on gossip and gossip magazines and other garbage that NT women are prefixed on.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 6:33 am

I get along better with men than I do women. Women only remind me of all the things that I don't wish to be. I'm also glad that I look like a guy.

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2010, 7:32 am

I get along with both genders equally well, and have roughly equal numbers of guy friends and girl friends.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 7:39 am

i used to get along with males better as a teenage girl, because they didn't notice my difference as much, since girls are a mystery to them anyway. My 9 y old son mostly has girlfriends. he tried his hand at boys in the beginning of the school year, it ended in death threats from one of them. so he's back to girls ( he even has a girlfriend, possibly ADHD, the NOISE they make........)
i think it has to do with body language. Girls and boys have different ones, and especially at a young age are not going to pick up on quircks as much in the opposite sex.
To people who hint at you being gay, just tell them if you were you would prefer hanging around boys, wouldn't you? just like they do :D ( don't .....you will get beaten up for that one, but it's nice to have a sentence ready if it gets nasty :P )

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2010, 7:54 am

I've always gotten on better with males (female here). The few female friends I've had also get along better with males, generally. I just don't have many of the same interests as most women, and it's easier for me to talk about subjects (excepting sports) that men prefer to discuss.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 8:27 am

I've always gotten along well with men, and had more male friends. As I've gotten older, however, that balance has been shifting, and while I still have more men than women that I call "friend", it's not as one-sided as it once was.

Vladisvok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2010, 8:32 am

marcvs9955 wrote:
Is there anything about AS, at least in males, about having a preference for opposite sex friends or am I just an anomaly amongst anomalies?

Generally I seem to have more female 'friends' than male 'friends', I've identified several points which I think make it so (or other people have commented on):

1. I'm not into sports/cars, this immediately removes two of the stereotypical "male" conversation points.
2. I'm told that I can be quite protective of 'friends', generally speaking I think women respond better to "the friend that is there to look out for them" than men do.
3. Since I don't tend to talk much people decide I'm a good listener (also got a good memory, so I remember a lot of what happens/what people say) again this seems to be a quality that women look for more than men.

Could be I'm completely wrong, but who knows.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 9:12 am

ediself wrote:
To people who hint at you being gay, just tell them if you were you would prefer hanging around boys, wouldn't you? just like they do :D ( don't .....you will get beaten up for that one, but it's nice to have a sentence ready if it gets nasty :P )

I don't see this as bad per say, it depends on context. It could be used in a vaguely flirty fashion with a girl you like (as in date like, not friend like) but I can see how boys would take it. I don't know how to explain to a guy in gentle enough terms.

Anyways, it's more important for the girls to know than the guys (unless people are intolerant in your school).

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2010, 12:28 pm

*talking to self*Mental note, must remember that Dryad & CR are females...

Anyway, I've always had more female friends because females give a crap about me. Guys not so much.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 1:55 pm

marcvs9955 wrote:

It's quite common. The opposite gender is less likely to know how you "should" be, and so they're usually more relaxed about AS issues.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 2:31 pm

Hmmm, I've got a couple of close friends who are the same sex as me (male), out of my top 10 of friends in terms of closeness...

I don't know why this is. Perhaps because my neurology (which, whatever it is, is most certainly not an extreme male brain...) fits better with them? :)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 3:28 pm

For most of my teenage years, all of my friends were guys. I still enjoy talking to guys because they're usually more laid-back and less inclined to drama, and they don't mind my attraction to other women.

But now that I'm an adult, most of my friends are other women. I think it's because at my age, women aren't into petty high school cliques anymore, so they don't mind hanging out with a woman who is more socially inept than they are.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 3:28 pm

My best friend is a girl.