Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AspieLeader
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2010, 4:31 pm

I do hear that a lot of people with AS hate fire alarms. I am AS. I used to be one of those who hated fire drills, but now that I grown up and am in High school, I am able to stand them now. It didn't take anything, I think it was just time that did it. Besides, I am somewhat of an obsessive over fire alarms, extinguishers, etc.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 4:56 pm

Fire alarms never bothered me in a school setting. I actualy liked them becuase we got to go outside. I'm homeschooled for high school and expirence that is most like a fire drill is when someone forgets to shut the freezer at the HEB and an alarm goes off until someone closes it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 5:00 pm

I hate fire alarms that go off because some grease dripped in the oven and started smoking. The noise is unnerving and I have to bring a kitchen chair to the hallway where mine's at to shut it off. I took the battery out and then I took it down. I need to get another or find that one.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 5:17 pm

home fire alarms have always been really difficult for me. usually if i set one off once i will remove the battery so it never happens again, which defeats the purpose of having one.

there is one that keeps going off in the building next door and it drives me crazy.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 7:35 pm

I can't stand them. The one in our house went off once and it sounded like a fire truck was parked right in the house. I was nearly in tears and coming close to a panic when my husband found the power source and disconnected it. We'd only lived in the house maybe a week so we had no idea where the power thing was. It was so loud a cop who just happened to be driving by stopped. And it was 1:30AM. And I was in the shower when it went off. :roll:

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 8:34 pm

The home smoke detectors that buzz used to REALLY freak me out. I couldn't be in the house if someone was going to test it. I even dreaded walking under it in case it went off by itself (and the first one we had when I was really young often did--from burnt toast, steam from the shower in a nearby bathroom--you get the idea).

In the place where I live now, it's a bit more tolerable. It makes a single loud "tweep" when the test button is pressed. However, our complex has 18 buildings, each one with alarms in the breezeways, and they are LOUD! Once, someone in the building next to mine burnt a steak and set the building alarm off. It echoed all over the place--I couldn't even tell where it was coming from until the guy came outside and explained what happened. To make matters worse, it summoned the fire department. 8O

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 9:09 pm

I hate fire alarms. The drills in high school were the worst because they were so loud. My dorm has fire drills that are even louder, but they're only once a term and I get advance warning.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 10:06 pm

AspieLeader wrote:
I do hear that a lot of people with AS hate fire alarms. I am AS. I used to be one of those who hated fire drills, but now that I grown up and am in High school, I am able to stand them now. It didn't take anything, I think it was just time that did it. Besides, I am somewhat of an obsessive over fire alarms, extinguishers, etc.

I HATE fire alarms, I hate them so much that I unplug them lol the sound bothers me more then fire, and I can smell it when there is a fire before the alarm goes off (eventho the alarm was very close to the furnace last time). But this sound ... ohhhh this sound whew.

I should leave them plugged tho I know it is not safe to do that, when I am sleeping especially :oops:

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

I can't stand fire alarms, especially in school! I almost meltdown every time me have a fire drill. And if the alarm wasn't bad enough, it interrupts everything and what we planned to do, which totally freaks me out.

How weird do you think it looks when someone covers their ears during a fire drill? No one in my school does but me and maybe one other Aspie. I'm just so worried that, if its like a really hot day and I'm already nearly overloaded, I will meltdown... what's it like to do that in school? I have come close, but I always go to the bathroom and cry and calm down.

MyDogSasha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2011, 4:16 pm

i used to get upset or just put my hands over....but thats just cause i didnt know it was gonna happen i think if they told me 1st i wouldnt of got upset...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

AspieLeader wrote:

Well when I was really young they scared me......but now I just find them annoying as hell.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

04 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

Fire alarms are the worst kind of sound possible!

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

I remember one semester at college, the kids in my dorm thought it was a great idea to pull the fire alarm. We would have to stand outside until the fire department came to inspect the building. It happened at least ten times before the RA's finally put a stop to it.

Needless to say, it was a very bad semester...

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 8:43 pm

Ugh, fire alarms suck. I know the whole purpose of them is to warn people, but they don't need to give me a heart attack and blow out my eardrums at the same time. Even the low battery warning beep is annoying.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 8:59 pm

crmoore wrote:
Ugh, fire alarms suck. I know the whole purpose of them is to warn people, but they don't need to give me a heart attack and blow out my eardrums at the same time. Even the low battery warning beep is annoying.

the low battery beep is almost worse than the alarm.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:05 pm

I hate all loud noises, including fire alarms. They hurt my ears. :(