Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 10:03 pm

I have a crappy BlackBerry Pearl 8120. It has been extremely unreliable lately and I am going to get Samsung's Captivate this month. It's time for me to jump on the Android bandwagon.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:49 am

RaceDrv709 wrote:
I have a crappy BlackBerry Pearl 8120. It has been extremely unreliable lately and I am going to get Samsung's Captivate this month. It's time for me to jump on the Android bandwagon.

I got me a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 off of eBay to use as a second phone and I agree, it is a very unreliable, crappy phone.

I seriously think BlackBerry's engineers all use iPhones and Androids. Surely they wouldn't put up with such crappy phones?

Oh, and look at that, my mum's new BlackBerry Curve stopped working today...

huggs
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Dec 2010, 4:23 pm

I really think that Android is going to be Linux's biggest shot in the arm ever.
Even today, when I tell people that I dual boot Windows and Linux on my pc, they don't know what Linux is, but are always impressed when I show them a few of the flashy Compiz effects.
Give it a few years, let more people find out that Android runs on the Linux kernel, and I really think more and more people will at least have a dual-boot setup, if only to mod their Android GUI's. I really hope that with a little time, we might see a big jump in the amount of basic linux users, kernel hackers, and all between.
Android couldn't have come out at a better time, in the past 5 years Linux has gone from an obscure, relatively unstable (sorry to admit), almost unknown OS, to a stable, visually appealing, more mainstream operating system. With increased public awareness from Android being so popular, Linux is poised to become a household name.

As for the blackberries, blechh!!
I never did like those itty bitty keyboards that most of them have, and theres no real customization to be done to them. I'd rather (gulp) buy an iPhone
But they do have one hell of a secure network, but I'm not text messaging coordinates of nuclear submarines, so I don't need it. If hackers wanna read my texts, have at it I say

If the Android devs keep it up, they will be sitting atop the most popular mobile operating systm in history (maybe already are, especially now that Gingerbread is out)

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 7:40 pm

huggs wrote:
Android couldn't have come out at a better time, in the past 5 years Linux has gone from an obscure, relatively unstable (sorry to admit), almost unknown OS, to a stable, visually appealing, more mainstream operating system. With increased public awareness from Android being so popular, Linux is poised to become a household name.

Linux can also form the basis for one hell of a RTOS as well in household appliances, TVs, set-top boxes(except for Blu-Ray players because the Blu-Ray consortium decided on Java for the OS on their boxes), and even in the automotive world. Samsung and LG are powering their higher-end fridges and washers with a Linux RTOS to operate them. Sony's Bravia TVs have been using Linux-based RTOSes to run them since 2005 or so.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:25 pm

lg env i think that's how it is spelled. no high tech phone here, heard from my friend that alot of the newer ones are pretty crappy. she had an android that deleted her info when it felt like it and now she has a blackberry that locks up and runs slow all the time.

my env has been pretty good to me.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 3:47 am

Jetfox wrote:
lg env i think that's how it is spelled. no high tech phone here, heard from my friend that alot of the newer ones are pretty crappy. she had an android that deleted her info when it felt like it and now she has a blackberry that locks up and runs slow all the time.

I think that will change when the iPhone makes its way to Verizon. I HATE the enV/Chocolate series myself, they are DRM'ed to holy hell(so is the iPhone, but I can live with Apple), and while I admit the VZW OS on the newer LG phones is a huge improvement over the steaming POS on the VX8000/VX8300, it's clunky and it's made for more for the soccer mom or the teeny bopper than the geek in me.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 12:26 pm

Jetfox wrote:

Which Android was that? Did it have the latest updates installed? Did she check for patches? Install custom ROMs?

As for BlackBerries, I think we can all agree they're the worst smartphones around. Oh no, wait, that title still goes to Symbian OS devices.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 1:36 pm

DRM? eh

i think my friend had the first one, i didn't ask her about the details.

as for new envs my bro said my cousin went through 4 env 2s most of them just crashed and he did nothing to them, i think he had 1 one day and it died.

i like mine because it has the full keyboard and that's all i cared about.

my bro also said all touch screen phones have ridiculous internet charges, and so i will never buy one, besides i wouldn't buy an apple product if you paid me to.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 1:48 pm

Jetfox wrote:
my bro also said all touch screen phones have ridiculous internet charges

*is smug about £5 a month unlimited internet on his iPhone*

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 5:05 pm

Jetfox wrote:
DRM? eh

i think my friend had the first one, i didn't ask her about the details.

as for new envs my bro said my cousin went through 4 env 2s most of them just crashed and he did nothing to them, i think he had 1 one day and it died.

i like mine because it has the full keyboard and that's all i cared about.

my bro also said all touch screen phones have ridiculous internet charges, and so i will never buy one, besides i wouldn't buy an apple product if you paid me to.

IMO, LG CDMA cell phones are flimsy garbage. Chocolates, enVs and Voyagers feel like they will break in my hands.
Depends on the carrier. AT&T requires a $15 more or data plan on smartphones or a $20 or higher text or data plan on dumbphones with QWERTY keyboards or touchscreens.
Verizon requires a $9 or higher data plan on dumbphones like AT&T does, and a $30 or higher data plan on smartphones.
Sprint and the regional carriers like MetroPCS include data as part of your service.
However, even though the $15 data plan on AT&T sucks, the beauty about it is you can access any AT&T hotspot in the US free of charge - such at Starbucks, FedEx Kinko's, the airport, McDonald's and the like.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 6:04 pm

my env is not that flimsy, and i only cared about the full keyboard anyway, i couldn't care less what phone i got as long as it had a keyboard.

as far as charging high on texting, i couldn't care less i have two friends that's it and the amount of texting i do a year is about 20 texts, even if they charged more it wouldn't matter anyway, half the time i don't even have it turned on.

i basicly said i have an lg env and you guys are bitting my head off, phones aren't a big deal to me like they are to most all i asked out of my phone is the keyboard, i didn't care what brand, style, or carrier it had. so get off my back about my lg env phone.

for the record i might have stepped on it and dropped it and it still works. and i even got it second hand on ebay.

Impius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2010, 10:10 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Apparently the official update is doing the rounds on there at the moment too.

Yes and a few modded versions of it too. I successfully flashed Epic Experience and a few of its updates and an updated modem. So far so good. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 11:11 am

Impius wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Apparently the official update is doing the rounds on there at the moment too.

Yes and a few modded versions of it too. I successfully flashed Epic Experience and a few of its updates and an updated modem. So far so good. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

No problem! Stuff like that is what Android's all about :)

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 12:28 pm

my lg vu may have an os that is as stable an user friendly as windows vista in a blender, but that thing is tough, yesterday i threw it across the room (having a bad day :wall: ) slamming it into an oak door, the thing bounced back halfway across the room and is still working fine.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 9:49 pm

i got a Samsung Eternity II to replace my lg vu, thus far i like it.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 11:01 pm

Titangeek wrote:
my lg vu may have an os that is as stable an user friendly as windows vista in a blender, but that thing is tough, yesterday i threw it across the room (having a bad day :wall: ) slamming it into an oak door, the thing bounced back halfway across the room and is still working fine.

LG's non-Verizon stuff is actually quite nice for being a feature phone.