Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:56 pm

I'm applying for a job soon & need to list people as references. I have a few contacts I can use, but I'm just wondering about how to go about the whole process.

I understand you need to ask someone's permission first before using their name, but what if they've already given you permission in the past?

I have two people whom I want to put down;

One has given me explicit permission in the past to use them as a reference and almost seemed annoyed when I asked them a year later (it might just be his manner though- he's a bit gruff sometimes).

I have previously asked the other one to be my reference for work experience before. She said I could use her as a reference, but I'm not sure if I should take that as blanket permission for all references, or if I should 'renew' her permission. I'm afraid of irritating her if I ask again.

What do you guys think? Should I ask them again, or is that just being annoying?

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 8:39 pm

I would say just go ahead and list them as references as long as your relationships with these people havent changed drastically since you asked them. What I mean is as long as you havent gotten into fights with them or run over their dog with your car, you're golden. I wouldnt consider it annoying to ask again, but probably unnecessary.
Its funny that you posted this today because I actually asked my current boss to be a reference last night. The restaurant/nightclub where I work is going out of business this Sunday so I needed to get that stuff in order.
Good luck, I hope you get the job!

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 8:58 pm

I would tell them that you've applied for [whatever], that you've given their names as references, and that they should be expecting a call from [whomever]. That's considered courteous -- and it's advantageous (to you) for your references to be on notice that they may be contacted. Whether it's annoying is up to them. It shouldn't be...

And it was all for the want of a nail.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 9:55 pm

Guys, thanks so much! I'm glad that it's ok to just list them. Rainingroses, that's a good idea to just write and let them know. I doubt they'll have a problem (their pets are still alive and well as far as I know, Sterfry :D ) sp giving them a heads up should be sufficient.

Thanks again!