In 20 years Aspies will not be in the workforce!

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Squidward
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2010, 3:10 pm

By then, technology will have progressed so much that all jobs that are perfect for Aspies, repetitive, mechanical, systematic, will have been replaced by machines.

I worked for the Australian Electoral Commission counting votes earlier this year. I had the time of my f**king life, and it was a full-time job! Unfortunately the votes could only be counted so many times, and the employment was only ever temporary from the start. If only there were elections every month, I'd have my living sorted!

Only an Aspie could envy a machine. I wish I could have the job of a TAB machine, or a telephone, manually connecting one phone to the phone with the number dialled, or even a calculator, being fed mathematical problems and giving the person the desired, and always correct, result.

I really felt for Charlie's dad in the movie Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. How dare they favour a machine over a human being!?

Thoughts?

Combo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2010, 3:20 pm

Aspies can be good at other jobs too, including science, maths, academia, etc.

So, if "repetitive, mechanical, systematic," jobs become more rare, there will be other things for us to do!

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2010, 3:53 pm

Combo wrote:

So, if "repetitive, mechanical, systematic," jobs become more rare, there will be other things for us to do!
i agree. Also there are famous artists who are aspies, so we can even do creative things.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 3:56 pm

All jobs are being eaten up by technology... But who's the best at maintaining that technology? ;)

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2010, 4:52 pm

Charlie's dad in the end got a job maintaining/fixing the machine that replaced him :)

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 5:16 pm

I think there should be more jobs for Aspie/HFA too.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2010, 5:34 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
All jobs are being eaten up by technology... But who's the best at maintaining that technology? ;)

See that's a very good point! :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 5:42 pm

Asp-Z wrote:

We are! :D

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 6:05 pm

Kiran wrote:
Combo wrote:

i agree. Also there are famous artists who are aspies, so we can even do creative things.

No machine could ever do my job.

paterfamilias
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2010, 9:31 pm

I disagree. In the future, face-to-face communication won't be as important for all jobs, as more people tele-commute (working from home etc), which will suit people with ASD more.

Also, as more people get diagnosed, I think a niche will open up for workplaces that are ASD-friendly, which will take advantage of the particular abilities of people with ASD.

Jaz1787
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2010, 11:22 pm

8O my thoughts go numb if im doing a repetitive job, then i loose count

i get hyped up over problem solving, now THAT is fun!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 9:38 am

Two things to fear if you're human.

1. Advent of machines that can do anything humans can (manual dexterity).

2. Advent of true learning AIs.

At that point it's a question of when machines realize they don't need us and nothing we do for a living can't be replaced by a machine.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 11:20 am

Actually, now that:

a. we actually carry a label that identifies us as disabled;

b. technology is reducing the number of available jobs; and

c. persons with narcissistic personality disorders are keen to bully us out of the workforce,

probably a lot more of us will be living on disability payments within 20 years.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2010, 4:04 pm

pandabear wrote:
Actually, now that:

a. we actually carry a label that identifies us as disabled;

b. technology is reducing the number of available jobs; and

c. persons with narcissistic personality disorders are keen to bully us out of the workforce,

probably a lot more of us will be living on disability payments within 20 years.

Unfortunately that might also be true. :(

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 5:05 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Two things to fear if you're human.

1. Advent of machines that can do anything humans can (manual dexterity).

2. Advent of true learning AIs.

At that point it's a question of when machines realize they don't need us and nothing we do for a living can't be replaced by a machine.

We all had the same worries in 1990, we will still have them in 2030. SkyNet is not coming for us any time soon :?

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2010, 6:05 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
We all had the same worries in 1990, we will still have them in 2030. SkyNet is not coming for us any time soon :?

That's what they want you to think. :P

I do think Aspies will have a big problem if the buzzwords pushed by management consultants regarding "self-organizing teams," "mass collaboration" or whatever other terms they throw about ever become an actual reality. What my personal experience has been is that the buzzwords get tossed about, everyone bows at the altar of this sort of thing...and then things get done more or less as they always have. Namely, somebody in authority assigns tasks and a bunch of somebody elses not in authority do 'em. And this gets called a "Team" or a "Collaboration" or a "Ripping Up the Organizational Chart."

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell