Do you ever come across idiots like this?

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

AaronAgassi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2006, 1:29 pm

No, I disagree. The numbered responses in question are still crucial to any rational skepticism in the matter. -Except, perhaps, the sheer failure of imagination which is option #3. The others, however, are always serious real world possibilities that happen only every day. And so the call for evidence to the contrary is always legitimate.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2006, 1:43 pm

Xuincherguixe, please answer aaron_agassi, you seem to be able to phrase your arguements (at this particular time) much better than I.

Last edited by Iammeandnooneelse on 06 Jul 2006, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2006, 1:59 pm

Yep.I remember when I first told my friends in the 6th grade.You know what some of their questions were?

"Is it contagious?"

"Are you going to die from it?"

"Did you say that you had ASPARAGUS Syndrome?"

And then there were time when I came across the internet people making fun of Asperger Syndrome.

-SpaceCase :)

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

06 Jul 2006, 10:33 pm

To be honest, I agree with Aeturnus--I'm amazed that so many of you share your diagnosis with strangers. Maybe it's down to my trust issues, or maybe it's down to my mother ingraining into me that saying that I have AS will make people automatically discount me, or perhaps it's just down to my dislike of talking to people for long, but I generally don't share my Aspie status with anyone I have not known for a long time--my extended family only found out six months ago, and I've been diagnosed for four years now!

Not that I have a problem with that, it's just that I don't have the fortitude/patience/interest in sharing why exactly I'm a bit different. No one has ever asked me, and I've never felt that I needed to share it.

AaronAgassi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2006, 10:57 pm

Maybe we should publish a paper on Asparagus Syndrome! Think we can get a grant?

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 9:04 pm

F5c_wZ3_414e_X5 wrote:
I meet new people. I communicate with them. They say: Your communication style ir very weird, relax, you speak like your are very tense. I say: That's how I always speak, if I had to speak like you, that would be unatural and difficult to me. They ask: Why? I say: Because I have Asperger's, and the communicating style of those people who have it may seem slightly different from usual. They ask: What is Asperger's, can you tell me about it more? I tell them. Then they say one of these possibles:
1) This is total non sense, people make up that Asperger's, because it is easier to blame all their problems on some syndrome than to sort them out.
2) Yes, yes now it is very fashionable to have all kinds of mental problems (even though I tell them that Asperger's isn't a mental illness).
3) Such thing as Asperger's doesn't exist because I never heard of it.
4) You are pretending to be someone, you try to be someone you are not and pretend to be different from everyone else.

What do you think about this? Does it happen to you?

F5c,

Here's what I tell them when I come across that:

"I have this tic called Aspergerger's syndrome. I can bore you to tears rambling on and on about it or I can leave you to Google it"

The more open-minded will ask Q's but the rest of the audience have the option of looking it up on the 'net. Either way, it sure shuts them up pretty fast :wink:

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

AaronAgassi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2006, 9:40 pm

Sounds like a plan.