Frankie Boyle's offensive joke about autistic boy

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 8:32 am

The big man is joking about helpless autistic children now...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... arvey.html

I can't believe they let this idiot on the television in the first place. He makes fun of disabled people, he says anti-semitic comments, jokes about terrorist attacks and laughs about kids who have been kidnapped. Then he wrote a book writing about his ever so sad little life. He should grow up and stop blaming his childhood for everything :evil:

Your views on the subject please (no Katie Price bashing please, if you want to do that, start a separate thread)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 10:48 am

It's to be expected from Frankie Boyle, so I'm not shocked by it at all. Too be honest his controversial image is a bit contrived and he tries waaaaay to hard. I just roll my eyes at his jokes, although usually I find stuff like that funny.
I think you should have to have that kind of sense of humour to get him, and not everyone does. It's very marmite, either love it or hate it. I usually like it but not coming from him because like I said, he tries too hard.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 10:57 am

Wow, that comedian needs to get canned. If he thinks that humor is all about making fun of people for being different, then he needs to do something else with his life.

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2010, 10:58 am

I suspect that you have been Image'ed.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 12:03 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Your views on the subject please (no Katie Price bashing please, if you want to do that, start a separate thread)

So, basically, you only want people to reply if they agree with you? :roll:

Katie Price is a celebrity. Celebrities are public figures by their own choice. If they don't want people making fun of them, they shouldn't be celebrities.

Frankie Boyle is funny. His new show, IMO, is pretty crap in comparison to his older work, but he is still a great comedian. His book is good, too. I consider myself somewhat of a fan.

We aren't in China, we don't censor humour here. If you don't like his jokes, don't watch him. It's as simple as that.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 12:18 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Jellybean wrote:

Katie Price is a celebrity. Celebrities are public figures by their own choice. If they don't want people making fun of them, they shouldn't be celebrities.

Frankie Boyle is funny. His new show, IMO, is pretty crap in comparison to his older work, but he is still a great comedian. His book is good, too. I consider myself somewhat of a fan.

We aren't in China, we don't censor humour here. If you don't like his jokes, don't watch him. It's as simple as that.

I think some of the sketches on tramadol nights are funny. I like the green mile parody, I haven't seen the film but it still amused me.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 12:19 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Jellybean wrote:

I think some of the sketches on tramadol nights are funny. I like the green mile parody, I haven't seen the film but it still amused me.

Meh, I think he should stick to standup personally. He was great on Mock The Week but I have to agree that he tries too hard on Tramadol Nights.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 12:29 pm

His standup reminds me of this website, but all read out on stage.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 12:34 pm

Yeah, people who are offended by Frankie Boyle have clearly never seen that site...

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Jellybean wrote:

So, basically, you only want people to reply if they agree with you?

I didn't mean it in that way. I just mean I am talking about the offensive joke, and I don't want to drag up the ol' Katie Price arguments again. I don't mind if people choose to disagree with me, but I am only interested in the news article now.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 5:16 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Jellybean wrote:

Price may be a celebrity, but her son is not. Thus by your first logic, he is not a fair target for poking.

There are better "controversial" comics who manage to do a much better job of being "edgy", without coming off as unpleasant tossers. Boyle is a Working Men's Club cast-off who frankly missed his time by about 30 years. He is courted by TV execs because so many of them think that "obnoxious" is equal to "controversial" and "bigoted git" is "cutting edge." Oh, and he has a funny accent, and we all know how good comedians are when they have a funny accent....

Edit to prove a point: Stalin got caught re-editing history as well.

Last edited by Macbeth on 17 Dec 2010, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

13 Dec 2010, 4:29 am

I dont know the guy, but is he like the Uk version of Larry the cable guy??

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 1:26 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Price may be a celebrity, but her son is not. Thus by your first logic, he is not a fair target for poking.

Well, he is. He was born into fame. That has good parts and bad parts.

Quote:
There are better "controversial" comics who manage to do a much better job of being "edgy", without coming off as unpleasant tossers. Boyle is a Working Men's Club cast-off who frankly missed his time by about 30 years. He is courted by TV execs because so many of them think that "obnoxious" is equal to "controversial" and "bigoted git" is "cutting edge." Oh, and he has a funny accent, and we all know how good comedians are when they have a funny accent....

Who's better than who is a matter of opinion, but what I'm sure we can agree on is the importance of freedom of speech. So, no, comedians shouldn't be censored because some people dislike their brand of humour.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 1:56 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

Well, he is. He was born into fame. That has good parts and bad parts.

Quote:

Who's better than who is a matter of opinion, but what I'm sure we can agree on is the importance of freedom of speech. So, no, comedians shouldn't be censored because some people dislike their brand of humour.

Yup. Which is why I exercise MY freedom to state that Boyle is s**t. As for "born into fame".. that's a very Catholic view of it. Sins of the mother and all that? Why should this kid be abused just because his mother is famous? Unlike other celebrity children, Harvey will probably never be able to exercise his own right to move out of the media spotlight, and it seems unfair that he should be vilified for it. And when it comes down to it, picking on those who can't defend themselves is just bullying. Its not very funny. If it were THAT acceptable then it would still be acceptable to call the disabled "sp****cs". Boyle doesn't need enforced censorship so much as to realise exactly how much fun being heavily disabled actually is for ANY child. Maybe someone should kneecap the ginger scots twat, then a bunch of autistic kids can dance around his wheelchair mocking him for being unable to chase them and get his ginger germs all over them. Or maybe he should just go back to the bottle and stay there until his kidneys piss themselves out through the bag strapped to his leg, and his liver shrivels up and falls off.
I'm sure there is a Glasgow boozer out there missing its favourite repeat customer.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 2:40 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Yup. Which is why I exercise MY freedom to state that Boyle is sh**.

And you are entitled to that opinion, of course.

Quote:
As for "born into fame".. that's a very Catholic view of it. Sins of the mother and all that? Why should this kid be abused just because his mother is famous?

Well if this mother insists in putting him in the media spotlight, there will clearly be consequences. If I went on TV and people made fun of me, I would have no right to complain, as I put myself in the public spotlight and it'd be my fault. In the same way, if I put my son on TV and people made fun of him, it'd be my fault if this becomes upsetting.

Besides, when any celebrity has a child, the media report on it. That's what I mean by "born into fame." This kid will have been in the media for as long as his mum's been famous, and as I said, that has its good and bad sides.

Quote:
Unlike other celebrity children, Harvey will probably never be able to exercise his own right to move out of the media spotlight, and it seems unfair that he should be vilified for it. And when it comes down to it, picking on those who can't defend themselves is just bullying. Its not very funny. If it were THAT acceptable then it would still be acceptable to call the disabled "sp****cs". Boyle doesn't need enforced censorship so much as to realise exactly how much fun being heavily disabled actually is for ANY child. Maybe someone should kneecap the ginger scots twat, then a bunch of autistic kids can dance around his wheelchair mocking him for being unable to chase them and get his ginger germs all over them. Or maybe he should just go back to the bottle and stay there until his kidneys piss themselves out through the bag strapped to his leg, and his liver shrivels up and falls off.
I'm sure there is a Glasgow boozer out there missing its favourite repeat customer.

How is he vilified? Because a comedian made a joke about him? Well I laugh at autism jokes, does this mean I'm vilifying myself? :roll:

On the topic of it not being funny... Again, this is your opinion, and while you're entitled to it, Frankie Boyle has no obligation to listen to it.

Making jokes about something isn't the same as condoning it, and just so you know, many people do still call disabled people sp****cs in a very serious manner - perhaps they're more worth your time than a comedian who's sense of humour isn't one you happen to share?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 6:11 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Yup. Which is why I exercise MY freedom to state that Boyle is sh**.

And you are entitled to that opinion, of course.

Quote:
As for "born into fame".. that's a very Catholic view of it. Sins of the mother and all that? Why should this kid be abused just because his mother is famous?

Well if this mother insists in putting him in the media spotlight, there will clearly be consequences. If I went on TV and people made fun of me, I would have no right to complain, as I put myself in the public spotlight and it'd be my fault. In the same way, if I put my son on TV and people made fun of him, it'd be my fault if this becomes upsetting.

Besides, when any celebrity has a child, the media report on it. That's what I mean by "born into fame." This kid will have been in the media for as long as his mum's been famous, and as I said, that has its good and bad sides.

Quote:
Unlike other celebrity children, Harvey will probably never be able to exercise his own right to move out of the media spotlight, and it seems unfair that he should be vilified for it. And when it comes down to it, picking on those who can't defend themselves is just bullying. Its not very funny. If it were THAT acceptable then it would still be acceptable to call the disabled "sp****cs". Boyle doesn't need enforced censorship so much as to realise exactly how much fun being heavily disabled actually is for ANY child. Maybe someone should kneecap the ginger scots twat, then a bunch of autistic kids can dance around his wheelchair mocking him for being unable to chase them and get his ginger germs all over them. Or maybe he should just go back to the bottle and stay there until his kidneys piss themselves out through the bag strapped to his leg, and his liver shrivels up and falls off.

How is he vilified? Because a comedian made a joke about him? Well I laugh at autism jokes, does this mean I'm vilifying myself? :roll:

On the topic of it not being funny... Again, this is your opinion, and while you're entitled to it, Frankie Boyle has no obligation to listen to it.

Making jokes about something isn't the same as condoning it, and just so you know, many people do still call disabled people sp****cs in a very serious manner - perhaps they're more worth your time than a comedian who's sense of humour isn't one you happen to share?

You're at least (apparently) semi-capable of defending yourself, or taking the piss back. Makes it a much fairer game.

I would dearly love to meet all these people you reckon use the term "spastic" with a straight face. Are they all quite old, by any chance?