Christian, Faith-Based View of Parenting Kids with Autism

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 9:59 pm

there are hundreds of distinct large religious groups, and up to tens of thousands of smaller individual religious groups worldwide, and the one thing they all have in common is that they all think they are right. common sense dictates that a whole lot of them would have to be wrong. who is to say which ones?

a lot of people do have a firm belief in one religion or another and they often confuse their opinion with fact or proof. but i could just as easily say that the FSM is the one true religion because i get a warm, fulfilled feeling inside when my head is bent over the offering plate and i am slurping up the saucy noodly goodness. but thats just opinion, not fact or proof, and no more provable or disprovable than any other religion out there. just because i personally believe it is so doesnt make it so. same goes for all religions and all believers.

that reminds me, i meant to get my SO a FSM car "fish" for christmas. off to amazon i go.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 2:48 am

number5 wrote:
DandelionFireworks wrote:
Mama_to_Grace wrote:
DandelionFireworks wrote:
It's half proof, half pragmatics. I know there's an ultimate good too vast for my comprehension with which I connect when I study the Bible or pray. And there's a powerful force that's my enemy as well.

It's reasonable to assume from that that Christianity is right. Not certain, but reasonable. And if something else is true, I'd have to be guessing what's wanted of me, etc. I don't want to face every demon to know to avoid it. I don't want to figure out what prayer is through trial and error. There's no reason to gamble with my soul. This is working. Pretty sure I'm right.

I'm sorry, I don't want to get into the fray here but....that's not a reasonable assumption. A greater good can exist outside of Christianity. Christianity in and of itself goes way beyond a greater good---it demands a belief in an immaculate conception and a belief in the father, the son, and the holy spirit. A greater good can exist and does not reasonably assume or lead to a belief in all that Christianity holds as true.

A belief in A greater good can exist in just about every religion out there.

I didn't just say "a greater good." I said "an ultimate good too vast for my comprehension with which I connect when I study the Bible or pray." And mostly the former, at that. Indicating it is in some way inextricably linked to the Bible (New and Old Testaments equally). Every version. I've tried it with at least one (that I recall off the top of my head) non-Christian Holy Book and it was NOT the same.

...for you. Others can and do hold different opinions.

There's a bunch I want to say to that, but I've gone far enough toward opening that can of worms.

NOT A DOCTOR

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:17 pm

I'll be heading right over to check your new blog out. Both my son and me and aspies and we are Christian.