Not feeling like a real "participant"

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 10:44 am

Does anyone else feel that they are not as heavily involved in the world as other people are? I feel like other people are actually taking part in life, while I'm content with simply observing. In fact, I usually don't like it when something happens that forces me to be more of a participant.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 10:47 am

Heck yeah, I feel that way. It feels like the world is flying by. I'm a tiny little car sitting on an on ramp, trying to merge into the traffic of a massive, crowded expressway. It's flying by way too fast and I haven't got the horsepower to get up to speed.

Air bags would be nice.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 10:55 am

In the "grand scheme," no, just the opposite. I think I participate more in the world than most people do. But in smaller, every-day things (like minor social interactions), yes, definitely. I participate in the world more than most do, but less in "life."

mv
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 11:11 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Heck yeah, I feel that way. It feels like the world is flying by. I'm a tiny little car sitting on an on ramp, trying to merge into the traffic of a massive, crowded expressway. It's flying by way too fast and I haven't got the horsepower to get up to speed.

Air bags would be nice.

I love this image. My longstanding image is watching two people turn a jump-rope, while I wait for the prime time to jump in. Instead I just watch it go round and round and round...

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 11:24 am

Kaybee wrote:
In the "grand scheme," no, just the opposite. I think I participate more in the world than most people do. But in smaller, every-day things (like minor social interactions), yes, definitely. I participate in the world more than most do, but less in "life."

Paradoxically, this makes sense, too. The participation is different, not less. But it is also often irrelevant to the rest of the world.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 11:27 am

Depends on what you mean by the world. I do feel like I participate in the world in general more than most do. But in the human social world, less.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 11:46 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Paradoxically, this makes sense, too. The participation is different, not less. But it is also often irrelevant to the rest of the world.

anbuend wrote:
Depends on what you mean by the world. I do feel like I participate in the world in general more than most do. But in the human social world, less.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. That's what I meant. More of a participant in the world itself (like nature, sounds, various details), less in the social world.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 2:34 pm

Non-participation isn't just a feeling with me: I really don't participate. No job, no marriage, no significant other, no children, very few relatives (they keep dying on me), a few people I say Hi! to, but no real friends. It's a little lonely, but nothing compared to the loneliness I felt trying--and failing--to fit in.

I found wavefreak58's automobile image amusing because it closely resembles my actual living situation. I have a little house on a major street that carries 20,000 cars a day. I watch people hurtling by all day in elaborate vehicles that say, "I spent more trying to conform than you," and I have a hard time believing I'm the one that's made a poor choice.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Dec 2010, 2:49 pm

alexptrans wrote:
Does anyone else feel that they are not as heavily involved in the world as other people are? I feel like other people are actually taking part in life, while I'm content with simply observing. In fact, I usually don't like it when something happens that forces me to be more of a participant.

I kind of feel like this, but I would say I am taking part in a life that many would not respect, even though I find much of it enjoyable. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of difficulty adapting to many of the parts most people value.

I do not like being forced to participate in those areas that don't work for me, although I've tried for years to function in them.

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2010, 10:19 pm

I feel like this. It's like there's a pane of glass separating me from the rest of the world, or something equally poetic.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 12:18 am

I like the analogy of being in a little car and trying to merge into a lane of hectic traffic.

At the moment, though, there's an additional complication in my life. It's like I want to get into that busy lane, and I'm ready to make my move, but then I stalled the car. A few things have gone wrong in the past year or so. A couple of years ago, I was in that fast lane, work-wise, but then I got shunted out. And the longer I've been in that little car trying to get back into the thick of things, the more hesitant and despondent and lacking I've been feeling.

And as for my love life... similar thing. I've been there, done that. But this time round, I can't seem to get off the on ramp. I've had a couple of false starts in the past year or so, but struggling to move off and get into gear.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Dec 2010, 12:35 am

Pseudeos wrote:
I feel like this. It's like there's a pane of glass separating me from the rest of the world, or something equally poetic.

I like this metaphor.

duck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2010, 12:47 am

like i can't connect to the world.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 4:09 am

i feel like the real word is inside of me. the outside world is where things LOOK like they are happening, inside my head is where they are real. i feel like i'm watching a soap 24/7...

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2010, 12:11 am

I once saw a poster that said that there were three kinds of people in the world: Those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that wonder what just happened.

The internet has allowed me to participate in some things more than I used to without the hassle of personal contact but for the most part I've been content to be an observer. After all, the performer need the audience. It's only the last group that contributes nothing.

ManFromNowhere
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2010, 12:40 am

ediself wrote:
i feel like the real word is inside of me. the outside world is where things LOOK like they are happening, inside my head is where they are real. i feel like i'm watching a soap 24/7...

This is pretty accurate for my experience. For me there is little difference between TV and the real world, except TV usually has better acting. Reality is too depressing/painful for me, especially lately. Every time I try to participate I'm usually beaten back down pretty quickly, it gets tiring.