Anyone out there writing Christian fantasy or sci-fi?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nissa_amas_katoj
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2010, 8:43 am

please, no atheist evangelizing

I'm wondering if anyone else out there is working on a Christian fantasy or Christian science fiction novel or short story? (With or without a strong/obvious Christian message.)

I'm working on more that kind of stuff right now (although the earliest unfinished novel in my incomplete series was actually started before my conversion in 2004).

I just thought that if there were any other Christians out there writing fantasy or sci-fi we ought to get to know one another.

+Praise Jesus Christ!+

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2010, 9:46 am

I have a stupid question: what's the difference between regular sci-fi and christian sci-fi?

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 10:41 am

Although his sci-fi and fantasy isn't "Christian", specifically, Orson Scott Card is a devout Mormon and you can often find those themes in his books.

nissa_amas_katoj

24 Dec 2010, 10:46 am

For me, any science fiction or fantasy written by someone who is, actually, themselves, personally, a Christian, is Christian science fiction or fantasy.

Some people, on the other hand, prefer that the fiction also have a Christian theme or message, whether subtle or not.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 10:59 am

nissa_amas_katoj wrote:
evangelizing

Woah... the "ev" in evangelism isn't really "ev" at all, it's "eu." Stoopid inconsistent transliteration. If it was written euangelism it'd be immediately apparent what it meant.

Quote:
I have a stupid question: what's the difference between regular sci-fi and christian sci-fi?

The difference between CS Lewis' Space Trilogy (which is the only work of Christian science fiction I can find on my bookshelf - Wiki amusingly suggests the execrable Left Below *ahem* Behind series as second alternative, which implies the field is kinda scarce ^^) and Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos, both of which are heavy on Christian symbolism. Simmons (like most sf writers who treat this sorta thing) is playing with the idea of what makes a god, Lewis is exploring, in a limited way, the ramifications reality has for Christian theology - trying to answer "okay, our God is Lord Creator of the Universe... yowzer, that thing's ninety billion light-years across and thirteen billion years old, what does that mean for us and our theology?"

It's a very worthy question.

Quote:
For me, any science fiction or fantasy written by someone who is, actually, themselves, personally, a Christian, is Christian science fiction or fantasy.

The Hobbit ain't Christian fantasy, while The Lord of the Rings is. Both are within the context of Tolkien's (extremely) Christian Legendarium, but it's only made explicit (though subtle) in the later work.

The year is still young.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 11:01 am

Jesus returning in the year 4000 to aide the space marines in their never-ending battle for freedom on the planet Zeiourox.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 12:27 pm

How about a story of Moses using a giant staff to part the Red Sea?

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2010, 3:23 pm

"Jesus was brought back to life... but it wasn't by holy magic! Coming soon, Robot Jesus Returns! Featuring the voice talents of Will Ferrell as Jesus, Bill Cosby as God, Megan Fox as Virgin Mary, and special guest star Justin Bieber as Satan. You're gonna be in for a holy ride! April 2012"

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2010, 5:26 pm

Yeah! I'm working on a science fiction novel right now! I've never written fiction before and it's been in the pre-writing stage for about three years now, but I'm hopeful!

Watch Doctor Who!

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 5:57 pm

Ambivalence mentioned C.S.Lewis, another of his Christian Fantasy works I was going to mention was The Chronicles of Narnia.
Pretty much the basic Christian story put into an attractive and accesable package.
I wonder if doing any more or less is counter to the words at the end of Revelation where it states that if anyone adds or takesaway from the words of this book, to him will be added the plagues mentioned in this book.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 7:17 pm

He that is without sin among you, let him first shoot his phaser.

Sounds really interesting. I would like to read something like this.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 9:27 am

Christian sci-fi and fantasy, the bible's a good one.

nissa_amas_katoj

25 Dec 2010, 9:48 am

It's really sad how certain people can't be tolerant enough to let Christians find other Christians in this forum without trying to stop it.

As for those who are Christians or who are at least tolerant of Christians--- there actually is Christian fantasy and science fiction out there. There is a blog tour I am a part of, it's called the Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy blog tour (http://csffblogtour.com/), and each month we review a different work of Christian fantasy or science fiction. Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy blog tour You can visit their web site to see some of the books we've done.

I'm working on a science fiction series which has some Christian elements. For example, in one story a young man will have a religious vision which will change his life and cause him no end of trouble.

Anyway, if anyone else is into writing that sort of thing, on my new writers group forum under the genre sections I have boards for Christian Science Fiction and Christian Fantasy, so that Christian writers in these genres can connect with one another. But on my forum there is space for any would-be writer who can be civil enough not to pull the kind of stunts 'MONKEY' just did. The link to the forums is in my signature.

And I'd like to point out to Ambivalence that it is not spelled 'euangelizing'. Check any good English dictionary. As for the Greek version, I actually took a course in New Testament Greek and so am already aware of the word's origins.

+Praise Jesus Christ!+

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 11:51 am

nissa_amas_katoj wrote:
And I'd like to point out to Ambivalence that it is not spelled 'euangelizing'. Check any good English dictionary.

...which is the point I was making. The Greek word for good is eu, not ev, and in other words is transliterated properly, for instance eulogy "goodwords", euphonium "goodsound." Evangelism is transliterated wrongly, presumably because someone thought that as upsilon looks like a v it must sound like one, and so the meaning of evangelism is not so immediately apparent as it would be if it had the eu- prefix it should.
(Admittedly, I only looked it up 'cause I suspected "atheist evangelising" was an oxymoron, but it isn't. So that's me telt.)

Quote:
I wonder if doing any more or less is counter to the words at the end of Revelation where it states that if anyone adds or takesaway from the words of this book, to him will be added the plagues mentioned in this book.

Heh. I never have understood how that loony and his apocalyptic bestiary got to be canon in the first place, unless it was to provide light relief at the end of a long book. But I seem to remember there was this one guy earlier on who spent a lot of time rephrasing things into parables to help people understand, so it's probably alright.

The year is still young.

nissa_amas_katoj

26 Dec 2010, 1:11 pm

ChrisVulcan wrote:
Yeah! I'm working on a science fiction novel right now! I've never written fiction before and it's been in the pre-writing stage for about three years now, but I'm hopeful!

Great for you! And keep at work on it. I have given up on a number of stories, and then when I found the pages related to them years later found out they were quite good, even though I'd given up on them as hopeless.

What kind of science fiction is your novel? Mine-- the one I currently think I'm working on--- has a lot to do with terraforming a new world and the lives of some people living and working on an not-quite-finished terraformed world.

Although there is a prequel novel that I now think will be somewhat related to it that I'll get back to sooner or later.

+Praise Jesus Christ!+

nissa_amas_katoj

26 Dec 2010, 1:22 pm

sacrip wrote:
Although his sci-fi and fantasy isn't "Christian", specifically, Orson Scott Card is a devout Mormon and you can often find those themes in his books.

OSC is one of my favorite writers. I've noticed that his Homecoming Harmony series has some parallels with the book of Nephi (part of the Book of Mormon) and his Alvin Maker seems to be inspired by the life of Joseph Smith the founder of the LDS church.

And since OSC won the Nebula and Hugo awards I guess that is proof that Christians and other people of faith are capable of writing quality SF.

+Praise Jesus Christ!+