Does anyone else feel like they don't relate to most Aspies?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dnex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2010, 5:09 pm

I'm thankful for sites like WP, but I still feel like an outsider here.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 6:06 pm

I've never gotten along with Aspies as a group. I'm too happy for most of them. Too loud, too funny, too different. They don't understand me very well. It's not that I'm better than them, or that they are inferior to me, it's that at first glance, I seem no different than these NTs that everyone on here seems to hate. But to most NTs, I seem like a freak who is nothing like them. Most Aspies I've met expect others to start and carry a conversation, and when you don't do that, then they don't like you. But when I do it, they don't like the direction I go, and then they don't offer an alternative. Then I get confused, and this confuses them, and then we are both on our way.

That's an overgeneralization of most of my encounters with Aspies. But it's summed up pretty well.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 6:13 pm

Oh yes, definitely. I see people with Asperger's on here, married with children, full-time jobs, going on about their busy lives just like NT's. I have absolutely no idea at all how I could ever be in any of those circumstances. :?

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 6:28 pm

Simonono wrote:
Oh yes, definitely. I see people with Asperger's on here, married with children, full-time jobs, going on about their busy lives just like NT's. I have absolutely no idea at all how I could ever be in any of those circumstances. :?

I have to agree with you there. I'm personally not able to live that way, because of comorbid conditions along with the AS. Some people with only Asperger's, only OCD, or only bipolar disorder, might be able to do well with making a living (depending on how extreme their condition is), but having a combination of these can be very devastating.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 6:59 pm

I feel different from most aspies and most NTs. It's almost like I'm a little bit of both but I don't fit into either category.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 7:09 pm

Yes!

Dnex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2010, 7:25 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel different from most aspies and most NTs. It's almost like I'm a little bit of both but I don't fit into either category.

Yeah that's how I pretty much feel.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 7:31 pm

I feel so different from others I wonder if there's a catagory especially for me and I'm the only one in it.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 7:36 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Ditto. Even my rdos.net results confirmed this.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 7:49 pm

I don't really get the ~*Aspie Pryde*~ people or the people hell-bent on making an autistic culture. Most people I know on the spectrum are annoying and/or socially stunted, and I've found that for the most part, my AS is an unwanted embarassment. Why would I want to celebrate it?

js3521
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2010, 7:51 pm

Just because we have Asperger's doesn't mean we have to strongly relate. Aspies vary from person to person as much as NTs do.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 8:01 pm

I believe that we see a lot of people who are suffering come here to open up while the "happier" (higher functioning) often are quiet. The old saying is that bad news goes in clogs and good news in slippers. I am a happy and high functioning Aspie. I am NOT into Aspie pride though by any stretch... I just take responsibility for that which I can do.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 8:49 pm

Well sure, who wants to comment on good news? That's no fun!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 9:00 pm

I think I relate pretty well to them, but I think I'm rather textbook aspie in most respects. Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by relate. I relate to some of their experiences, perspectives, and behaviour. There are many other factors that play a role so just because someone is married doesn't mean you can't still relate to them. Maybe they just had lucky circumstances, or maybe they're in an unhappy marriage in the first place, and who would want to relate to that?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 9:01 pm

I relate strongly with a handful of people here, the rest are as incomprehensible and alien as any NT :wink:

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 9:26 pm

Well, yes and no. I feel like the people on the spectrum that I can relate to, I relate to very much. But some I don't relate to at all.