Does anyone have useless special interests?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2010, 3:38 am

I get a certain satisfaction from pulling lint off clothing and sorting things into different categories. Anyone have any useless special interests?

PlanetX
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Dec 2010, 4:57 am

Most things are not interesting "UNLESS" they are "useless".

So I have learned that is OK, at least I will be interested.

And "maybe" it will lead to something useful.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 6:39 am

I was thinking this recently. Most of my special interests are completely useless to everyone but me. A typical one of mine is ordering my song collections into lists. I have been doing this most of my life. Either writing these lists down or recording them on a tape and nowadays I can order them on my computer (heaven!). But I am certain these lists will not earn me a lving or have much interest to anyone else.

However, I have had other interests that have been useful. Learning computing was one becaue it has been my living for the last 15 years. Another is writing because it helps me to think about how people interact.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 8:11 am

My special interests are the only things that keep me grounded.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 8:50 am

I have an interest in buildings... okay, that would be quite useful because I can draw and design the buildings... Except I like brutalist 1960's/70's style housing... I don't think I would be very popular...

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 8:52 am

My interest in Star Wars has always been quite useless. Nobody even wants to talk about Star Wars with me anymore, not since middle school.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 8:53 am

I don't really think that anything would be genuinely useless to you if you found it interesting. It could still be a source of amusement or something of the like. If you thought wholeheartedly that it was utterly useless, it would never be a special interest of yours.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 9:10 am

I'm not sure the things you mentioned qualify as "special interests," but to answer the question, yes--my own fixations are almost always useless, in any practical sense.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 9:29 am

I have interest in early Christianity and all the texts that didn't make it into the Bible. I don't know why because if one is to get technical about belief systems I am not a Christian by the assumed standards ( belief in virgin birth, bodily resurrection etc.) I'm interested especially in texts that could have a more Eastern interpretation. So I guess it's useless except to satisfy my own curiosity.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 10:06 am

i suppose it's not useless as it would certainly make travel easier, but im a complete google earth nut.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 1:33 pm

I occasionally get interested in a computer game. That's fairly useless, besides the relaxation and intellectual stimulation I get from it, and the way Tetris helped me with spatial reasoning, and the way the Sims taught me about social interaction and time management, and... hmm. Maybe they're not so useless after all.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 1:49 pm

I had this interest for over 20 years: penis size. Girls/girlfriends/wife hates it when you talk about it because they think you're weird, vain, insecure or whatever and guys think you got psychological problems or they get real embarrassed about it. I'm not sure how this interest/obsession began. Maybe it was because I matured later than most guys? I don't know anybody in real life who shares this interest except my closest friend and I think he does have some autistic features. One of his kids has also been diagnosed with autism.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 1:57 pm

Yes - I tend to obsess over worlds from books, movies and comic books. I think it can be classified as useless.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 2:03 pm

Quote:
and the way the Sims taught me about social interaction and time management, and... hmm. Maybe they're not so useless after all.

What did I learn from the Sims? Not to have an affair with a guy dressed as a cow :lol:

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 3:15 pm

All my current and previous special interests are useful at one time or another. Daily life? Only my human-behaviour-connected-to-fauna and communications interests.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 3:42 pm

I've been told my meerkat special intrest was usless.