Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lightsounds
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2006, 7:42 am

One morning I was sleeping, and well.. my conscious woke up before the
outside of me had a chance. its hard to describe
so, technically I was lying in bed paralyzed, struggling to open my eyes,
whole body was struggling because I felt I weighed a ton.
It usually happens before or while I have my monthly, it's so scary!
I'd rather have a nightmare than this.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

24 Jun 2006, 8:11 am

Please delete all my posts.

Last edited by TheMachine1 on 29 Jun 2006, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bettyboo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2006, 8:36 am

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html I have been getting sleep paralysis since puberty. I am now fifty. I don't get it every night, mostly when I have had to much caffine. I get it at sleep onset and the only way I can get out of it is to force myself to wiggle my toes, which is very hard to do. I am usually afraid to go back to sleep after it happens. I am thinking about getting a sleep study done.

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 1:16 pm

Yes, this happens to me every couple of months or so. My friend said it happened to him and that it was because of ghosts holding him down, but there was no way I could believe that. Its good to know it has a name.

Jennyji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2006, 12:06 am

I've had this problem since I was a little little girl, and I still have the problem on occasion. I notice I get it if I don't get enough sleep over a long period of time or if I've had too much caffeine. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets this problem - it is really scary and I actually start having convulsions because I try to physically wake myself up and I can't.

ruudvandrago
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2006, 4:10 am

I experienced that. I am conscious but I can move my body. I feel that I could wake up but I can't do it. Then I feel a strong pulse in my neck. Then I think that I will die but I try to move. It is hard but finally I wake up. I thought that it is interesting. So I wanted to know what will happen if I would not try to wake up in such situation. Despite this I still tried to wake up. Sometimes I feel when my body is going to "sleep" but my consciousness do not. When I want to hold over the process my body "wake up".

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 10:48 am

It never happened to me.

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 8:40 am

I used to get this when I was 14 or 15 years old. Occurred about once a week. I never got to the bottom of what it was. The chances are I was still dreaming because as well as being paralised, my room would look funny, and then I would wake up and everything was back to normal.

I even remember doing an experiment once. In these episodes, I could still move one of my arms but everything else felt solid. I placed an open CD case by my bedside before I went to sleep. When I woke up in one of my "episodes", I managed to move my arm and take the CD out of the case and toss it to one side. However when I woke up properly, the CD was still in the case!

That showed it was highly likely I was just dreaming and I ceased to worry about the problem. It disappeared over time.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 11:10 am

sometimes when im falling asleep, i get a shocking sensation and feel like im falling.

Z
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2006, 11:15 am

waterdogs wrote:
sometimes when im falling asleep, i get a shocking sensation and feel like im falling.

I've had that to.

Well I think it is the same thing. For me it was a jolt like an electric shock just as I was about to fall asleep. Woke me up fully, and I had to start falling asleep all over again.

Is that what it was for you?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 11:23 am

waterdogs wrote:
I think it's just your mind descending into the lower levels of your consciousness. Go with the feeling, see what's down there. It'll be okay. Remember you can fly. If not, take a jetpack. Really. Imagine.

- Emerson

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 2:18 pm

I've had the feeling of being paralyzed also, but like Robert, I passed it off as imaginary even though it happened every couple of weeks. It seemed to go away after my teens. But along with that out of control paralysis feeling went most of the physical control I used to experience while dreaming. Now, most of the time I am only a spectator in my dreams where I used to be the "Hero" or the "Star". I can barely move with free will in my dreams these days.

But, the shock awake thing is real. It always happens as I'm trying to fall asleep, probably 2 or 3 times a week. I interpret it as the road to sleep is closed down along that route. "YOU MUST GO TO SLEEP IN ANOTHER DIRECTION. BE GONE!" or like in Lord Of The Rings "The way is shut. It was made by those who are (asleep) and the (sleeping) keep it! The way is shut!" zzzZZZZZZCH! and I'm wide awake, again. It's another one of those things that has happened so persistently that I think it's supposed to be that way. :roll:

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 2:24 pm

Z wrote:
waterdogs wrote:
I've had that to.
Well I think it is the same thing. For me it was a jolt like an electric shock just as I was about to fall asleep. Woke me up fully, and I had to start falling asleep all over again.
Is that what it was for you?
yeah, it pretty much scares me.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 2:25 pm

Why dont you go back to sleep?

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 2:48 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
Why dont you go back to sleep?
i think what im describing and what the author of this thread is descibing are two different things. hes talking about sleep paralysis, wich can be a very scary/ when it happend to me i thought i heard a monster talking in my room and i couldnt wake up to make it stop.

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 3:35 pm

Happened to me too. One night I felt som drewl/dribble on my lip and wanted to remove it but I couldn't move. Next I hear my breathing, nice and slow and I could feel my arms and legs. Then nothing happened and I panicked. Finally managed to move my one arm and wake up.

The worst is when I can't breathe. I dream, then I don't breathe for a bit, become conscious but can't move and still can't breathe, think "this is it, I'm gonna die". The only thing I can do is relax and wait for me to breathe again, whereby I wake up. Heart pumping.

waterdogs wrote:

One time I dreamt I fell out of my bed (this was in the morning) but it took forever, so I suspected it was a dream, and instead of tensing I began to relax, the experience became a very nice on, I felt down like a feather, nice, soft and comfortable.