Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2010, 4:58 pm

So, yesterday I was walking into work and some of the guys that work in the shop next door were packing stuff in their delivery vans and one of them said "Hey are you Mark Cuban?". I wasn't sure this was directed at me but I thought it sounded funny so I looked up and the guy looked right at me and said, "you look just like Mark Cuban". I had never met this person and was just going about my business.

Is this a compliment, or an insult, or neither. It wasn't said in a way that was obviously one or the other, and I know nothing about this person. I know Mark Cuban is the owner of the Dallas Mavericks and a billionaire, but is being compared to him good or bad? Am I missing a pop culture reference from a show or something? I won't be bothered either way, but I'm just curious because it seems like an odd thing to just say to a random passer by.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2010, 5:24 pm

Hi,

i think its not 100% a complement, its just chitchat, not meant bad, its just a smalltalk sentence to start some conversation. You should just have smiled, "haha", ... and then said something like "hey, never anyone told me that" ... or "wow, what are you doing there", just to continue some more conversation thats all..

byebye.
anton

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2010, 9:09 pm

it's neither. it just means they thought you might be him.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 9:23 pm

Mark Cuban owns the company I work for.

Say, do I work for you? Are you SURE you aren't Mark Cuban? May I have a raise?

If you say yes and my pay increases, we will know for sure.

Yeah, it's neither compliment nor insult, but if you were Mark Cuban, they might have followed up by being really complimentary in hopes of snagging some cash.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 9:50 pm

I'd take it as a compliment. :)

Vin2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2011, 11:33 pm

It is just an observation. There is know pop culture reference as far as I know, and I am fairly in-sync with pop culture.