Why do most NTs have little regard for professionals?

Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 2:21 pm

Why is it that most people in society think they know everything and have little regard for professionals? I am not bitter, but I am about to get a PhD in ancient history and I'm sorry but I just happen to know more about ancient history than most people, who get the majority of their information from Wikipedia or other sites on the Net. Some people have the nerve to talk to me about my specific area of research and attempt to "teach" me things which are inherently wrong.

I would never get the nerve to pretend I know more than professinal people in other subjects. For example, I would never tell a dentist "this is how you drill a tooth" or a Astrophysicist "this is what black matter in space is made out of". I have great respect for other professionals.....why is it that most NTs don't respect them?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:28 pm

Because our society is increasingly narcissistic.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:30 pm

NT's dont respect anybody, sadly the same is true for people on the spectrum. It all comes down to pride, nobody want to be made to feel inferior to someone else.

I try to show respect, even though i know better than to expect it in return. Its a good thing i dont believe in "self-esteem" or i'd be bummin'

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:32 pm

I think it's because many people are unaware of just how complex science, history, etc can be. So they think reading wikipedia gives them a decent understanding, when it barely searches the surface. It's like when creationists argue against evolution because it's says "humans came from monkeys". Clearly they have no idea how complex evolution is and just how much evidence there is to support it.

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 2:34 pm

Yes, but if some idiot came to you and started telling you how the pyramids were built by aliens or by a bunch of foreigners and you tell them that there is not proof for that but there is lots of proof that they were built by Egyptian workers and you SHOW them the proof, are you not going to loose your cool when they insist that you are an idiot and that you don't know anything?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:35 pm

Sometimes, people without professional degrees resent those who have them. If everyone had a professional degree you wouldn't see this envy and bitterness about who has them and who doesnt. Bitterness would still exist because you cannot get rid of it. Everyone would have a degree of some kind so they would shift their bitterness to something else, like who has the best skills. Some people are never satisfied with what they have so they compensate by discounting what others have. This fulfills the atonement principle in their mind. They feel better about their situation this way. Perhaps a slight, natural rush of endorphins are the outcome of such thinking? This only reinforces it so the temptation to get caught in this thinking pattern is stronger.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:37 pm

Alla wrote:
Yes, but if some idiot came to you and started telling you how the pyramids were built by aliens or by a bunch of foreigners and you tell them that there is not proof for that but there is lots of proof that they were built by Egyptian workers and you SHOW them the proof, are you not going to loose your cool when they insist that you are an idiot and that you don't know anything?

Of course, it would drive me nuts. Just like when people insist there is no evidence at all for evolution. Uh, ever been to a museum?

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 2:37 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sometimes, people without professional degrees resent those who have them. If everyone had a professional degree you wouldn't see this envy and bitterness about who has them and who doesnt. Bitterness would still exist because you cannot get rid of it. Everyone would have a degree of some kind so they would shift their bitterness to something else, like who has the best skills. Some people are never satisfied with what they have so they compensate by discounting what others have. This fulfills the atonement principle in their mind. They feel better about their situation this way. Perhaps a slight, natural rush of endorphins are the outcome of such thinking? This only reinforces it so the temptation to get caught in this thinking pattern is stronger.

I believe that you speak the truth.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:40 pm

wblastyn wrote:
Alla wrote:

Of course, it would drive me nuts. Just like when people insist there is no evidence at all for evolution. Uh, ever been to a museum?

ive been to many natural history museums, not one of them gave me any reason to abandon my Creationist POV. There IS NO concrete evidence of evolution, plenty of speculation and extrapolation, but no conclusive evidence. ...Science proves more and more of the Bible every day.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:40 pm

Alla wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I believe that you speak the truth.

Maybe my version of it ;)
Thanks anyway :)

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:44 pm

I will offer you a differing opinion. I work with MANY PhDs in my field and have not hired MANY who are just getting theirs because they have the attitude you seem to project here. Yes, you have a LOT of education from the school BUT you have very little understanding of how that education is applied in the real-world. So if you came into my shop and acted as if you had nothing to learn, then you would be sent back to academia where people like you belong.

The BEST people (PhDs or not) are those who keep a watchful eye on the current science and apply an open mind to the fact that what we actually KNOW about science is insignificant to what we do not know. A PhD doesn't mean ANYTHING if you think you have nothing more to learn.

And NO... it does not annoy me when people try to educate me on my subject. I exercise compasion for that sort of thing when the person truly is clueless and I look carefully for anything that I can learn otherwise.

Alla wrote:
...I would never get the nerve to pretend I know more than professinal people in other subjects. For example, I would never tell a dentist "this is how you drill a tooth" or a Astrophysicist "this is what black matter in space is made out of". I have great respect for other professionals.....why is it that most NTs don't respect them?

HUGE flaw here in reasoning. An Appeal to authority is the weakest statement you can make in an arugment for what is right and what is wrong. The sooner you get over yourself, the quicker you will learn.

I have NO PROBLEM telling any professional what I know or have learned and those professionals who are worthy will actually undestand that what they know is (in fact) very small compared to what exists and science is ever changing.

Last edited by kfisherx on 03 Jan 2011, 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:44 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
wblastyn wrote:
Alla wrote:

ive been to many natural history museums, not one of them gave me any reason to abandon my Creationist POV. There IS NO concrete evidence of evolution, plenty of speculation and extrapolation, but no conclusive evidence. ...Science proves more and more of the Bible every day.

See what I mean? Unfortunately irrational beliefs seem to prevail this persons part of the world.

Last edited by wblastyn on 03 Jan 2011, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 2:45 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
wblastyn wrote:
Alla wrote:

Oh really? And what sort of evidence does science have to back up the Bible? Doesn't the Bible say that the world is only 6,000 years old? What about all of the ancient peoples who lives before 4,000 BC? What about the Neanderthals?

Mind you, I dont want this thread to turn into a creationists-evolutionists debate as this is not its intended purpose.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:45 pm

Alla wrote:
Why is it that most people in society think they know everything and have little regard for professionals? I am not bitter, but I am about to get a PhD in ancient history and I'm sorry but I just happen to know more about ancient history than most people, who get the majority of their information from Wikipedia or other sites on the Net. Some people have the nerve to talk to me about my specific area of research and attempt to "teach" me things which are inherently wrong.

I would never get the nerve to pretend I know more than professinal people in other subjects. For example, I would never tell a dentist "this is how you drill a tooth" or a Astrophysicist "this is what black matter in space is made out of". I have great respect for other professionals.....why is it that most NTs don't respect them?

Agreed, Alla, and I cannot know why. I am near my PhD (neuroscience). Apart from that, I've met a few, but notable, individuals who do not think but instead feel/intuit. Most vexing.

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 2:50 pm

LabPet wrote:
Alla wrote:
Agreed, Alla, and I cannot know why. I am near my PhD (neuroscience). Apart from that, I've met a few, but notable, individuals who do not think but instead feel/intuit. Most vexing.

See, I do know a couple of elementary things about neuroscience because I took a few psychology courses in college. If I acted like the majority of most people, I would have no respect for you being a professional with a PhD and would try to teach you about how the brain works......even though most of what I told you was mainstream stuff and the large percentage of it wrong or poorly understood.

I respect other professionals no matter what their field is. I expect to be respected in return for the knowledge I have in my own field.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:54 pm

Alla wrote:
Mind you, I dont want this thread to turn into a creationists-evolutionists debate as this is not its intended purpose.

EDIT: this is directed to wblyastn
with all due respect, you kinda started it with your earlier post.

fact is, man-made science tells us that life is older than 6000 years, but anything man-made is inherently flawed, it cannot be trusted.

The argument that the Bible is "man made" is a fallacy, man picked up the pencil, but God did the talking, consider all the old testament prophecy regarding the life of Jesus. If the Bible got it right 1000 years before Jesus walked the earth, im more likely to trust it, than any man made science.

Last edited by thechadmaster on 03 Jan 2011, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.