Aspie guys did this happen to you as teenagers

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2006, 11:43 pm

I wonder if any other aspie guys had this experience in their teens. I have a suspicion a lot of people thought I was homosexual when I was a teenager. Once when I was 14 a bunch of girls showed me a nude picture of Brad Pitt in a magazine, I strongly feel because they thought I was homosexual. In high school no girls ever were more than just polite and friendly with me either, even then I knew a little about non-verbal cues (I learn’t from trial and error).

I think they assumed I was homosexual because of several reasons firstly I had no apparent interest in the opposite sex, secondly I hid my attraction to the opposite sex pretty well, thirdly I was uncomfortable talking about sex in public and fourthly the usual non-verbal issues.

Strangely enough none of the gay guys ever tried to approach me romantically, I strongly suspect because I was extremely weird at that time and was not concerned about fitting in very much.

Javid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2006, 3:44 am

I had my suspicions periodically, but it wasn't a constant thing.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 4:17 am

newchum if I may respond as a former teen NT female?

I never did anything like that... but I did see kids played jokes on - I don't automatically assume form your story they thought you were gay. I think they just wanted to be silly, and get a reaction out of someone. They likely wanted an excuse to giggle. Sounds to me more about who they are. They sound insecure about the male nudity and uncomfortable with it... so tehy showed it to a guy to see his reaction. Did they giggle when they did it? I think it is their own feelings about it that made them do this. Not a reflection on you necessarily. (I say 'necessarily' since I don't know any of you)

Hope that helps. Teen females are not always polite...

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 11:33 am

Yeah, it's pretty obvious when you are called "fa***t."

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 11:47 am

I was probably seen as a "ret*d" as a teen and therefor asexual. Now everyone in my hometown thinks I'm gay.

SkippyP
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2006, 12:01 pm

If they thought I was gay, they all did a great job of hiding it.

No, I'm pretty sure everyone believed I was psychotic because I almost went out of my way not to fit in with them. I made no attempt to hide who I was, and so I think most people just avoided me.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 12:06 pm

Hmm that never really happened to me. In middle school there was several kids my age that were saying that I'm gay but I always shouted back that I wasn't. I always for some reason didn't want to spend anytime with anyone at all. Even all the way through High School. I was a big time loner in school only had one or two friends but I was repected for some reason. Other times no one said anything to me in school all I got as a favor was bullying.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

27 Jun 2006, 12:18 pm

Please delete all my post.

Last edited by TheMachine1 on 29 Jun 2006, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkippyP

27 Jun 2006, 2:49 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
My sister seems to think I'm gay(because I never had a girlfriend)

Unfortunately, I think that's probably typical NT thinking--he doesn't seem into girls, so he MUST be into guys

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 5:11 pm

Nobody says it, but I'm sure some think I am. I think some girls are attempting to get me, very subtlely, and I'm missing it.(See who flirts with yo thread)

Kazami
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2006, 6:35 pm

In middle school, ppl used to think I was gay, even though I kept on saying that I'm asexual ATM. "Everyone is attracted to someone" they said :roll:

Markendust

27 Jun 2006, 10:33 pm

I've been told I'm gay a few times because that's just the prime insult rednecks and stupid trendy kids at school can only say to others but some of the ones who've told me that I've driven off. Very few know I've never had a girlfriend and I hope to have one eventually.

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 10:43 pm

Got it quite a bit (apparently this rumor went about several schools). Then I told everyone I had a maniacal crush on this girl. After that fiasco, nobody questioned my sexual orientation, only my mental stability. Meh.

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2006, 3:31 am

A couple of my friends would say things like that, but I would just bug them right back about something that they didn't like, and it would drop. Kind of like "mutual bullying".

As for the other kids, I got called s**t like that in my earlier school years all of the time. In high school, no one really came right out and said it, but I knew they were thinking it. I was never really interested in either sex.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2006, 11:17 am

You should have said something like, "You know, I'd much rather look at all of you naked."

There are two possible outcomes. They'd either get upset, or they'd respond positively.
And if they actually did think you where gay, and wheren't just harrasing you (which is quite likely) they'd get the hint.

I got called a fag a bit though that was mostly in elementary. (Grades 6/7) I don't know if they really thought I was gay or not though.

And I don't want to offend anyone here, but I do think that many people who are think they are asexaul may not be. I will however agree with the notion that not everyone is "interested" in someone. But I think still they might find someone they are attracted to, or become attracted to someone.

I wasn't too far off from asexual I think myself until women started being pretty clear that they where sexaully attracted to me.

Again, I don't mean to offend. And regardless of if you're asexual or not, you don't have to have sex/date/get married/have children and all that. I only bring this up because I think it's important to know yourself.

We have some crazy mixed up values. At the same time there's pressure to be gay, straight, bi, and asexaul while at the same time if you're any of those you'll get people being down on you for your preference or lack of. (Mind you straight people don't get MUCH crap, almost negligible really)

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2006, 7:14 am

Most of us live in a hyper-sexual culture (I'm thinking now of the multi media barrage in America, where I live). Society has lost touch with the notion let alone the value, of a person who wants to wait for a special person, rather than drooling over every body within reach. Therefore, anyone who's not part of the loud, lusting masses, is labeled as (fill in the blank).

It's ignorance in motion. Hopefully once you get out of the public school system, you won't run into this as often. Public schools offer a fairly wide sampling of intelligences and levels of understanding. The ratio of ignorance there is likely to be fairly high.

I don't know how you want to handle it, but if you can - consider the source, and don't let the ignorance define how you feel about yourself.