College Education vs Autodidactic Education

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:01 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If one is decidedly antisocial why then would a social aspect be preferable?

Because social learning isn't just about face-to-face communication. It's also about communicating by writing and reading, and teaching while being taught at the same time.

Oh, right, I suppose one must therefore have to be contractually enrolled in an official institution in order to write to other people and read their correspondence.

Stinkypuppy wrote:
You claim that to at least some extent people learn things on their own. However, the flip side is that to at least some extent people also learn things from other people. You claim to learn things on your own, but who wrote those books from which you're learning?

Most textbooks are written by people who have degrees from colleges and universities. But that does not make it a necessity that they must have a formal education in order to pioneer a subject, much less understand it. Say, do you like being able to use electricity?

Stinkypuppy wrote:
How did they learn to write books in a didactic manner that a student, potentially filled with tons of questions, can understand and absorb?

Well, people like Nathaniel Bowditch would try explaining concepts in different ways to the crews of the ships he was aboard and journal about it determining which manners of explanations worked best to help each crew member to grasp the concepts and mathematical skills he was teaching to them.

Stinkypuppy wrote:
You claim that you taught yourself so many things, but do you have sufficient proficiency in the material you learned to be able to teach it, to explain it in sufficient detail to others who'd want to learn from you?

I've helped to teach others, including my sister and my stepdad concepts that they were unfamiliar with. My wife also I've helped with college algebra and various other aspects of learning. I can teach others, it's not a difficult task in most cases. Heck, often I've impressed most teachers and professors that I've conversed with.

Stinkypuppy wrote:
Because as anybody who has taught anything could tell you, teaching in all its forms is as much a learning experience as being a student is. And that in itself has a social element in it. Now, if you want to stay decidedly antisocial, that is your business, but there are pros and cons to any decision you or anybody else will make.

As with stoics, for most cases moderation is better than extremes. Socialization in excess is just as good as calling a school a country club.

Stinkypuppy wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Another caveat of social learning is that there's often far to much focus on the social and far too little focus on the learning.

Well... this isn't really another caveat, it's the same caveat: "social learning is highly dependent on the people with whom you're socializing". :P

Not quite. Spending too much time with people depends not on who they are or how intelligent they are as no matter what they, as with anyone else, can serve as a distraction just as easily as they can serve as an assistant to one's education. However with public school's emphasis upon socialization to an unhealthy extreme it is not surprising that somebody who probably was sent to public school would view it with admiration rather than aversion.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:06 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
Oops, I forgot to mention another significant disadvantage to utilizing no social learning: you won't be able to learn from other people's experiences and knowledge. When you're limited to drawing from only your own experiences, the learning process is significantly slower, because you have to wait until you develop that experience in order to learn and progress. Is it impossible to learn purely by teaching yourself without any social interaction at all? No, but you'd end up spending a lifetime constantly "re-inventing the wheel". For example, imagine in basic algebra that you weren't told how to multiply polynomials using FOIL (first, outer, inner, last)? How would you do it? Yes you could probably devise your own way of doing it, but it would take a lot longer than somebody simply teaching you FOIL. Repeat this for every single step in the learning process and you can see how much longer that pure autodidacticism will take. This wouldn't be so bad if one already has his or her own large pool of experience and knowledge, but a major issue relevant to AS folks is that many don't have a large pool of experience, especially if they rely heavily on routines and are resistant to experiencing new things.

Of course, the other extreme on the social side would be that you wouldn't ever learn to think or experience things for yourself, that you'd constantly have to rely on (or to put it less mildly, to be at the mercy of) other people for learning and growing, incorporating their prejudices into your own thinking processes. So a careful balance of learning from others vs. on your own is required to try to get the best of both worlds while minimizing the risks of the two extremes.

Who says I'm limited to my own experiences and knowledge? Just by not being enrolled in college means I can't converse with professors, researchers, other students? Do you realize how patently absurd that is? You seem to think, or express rather, that without a formal education that one cannot communicate with others. What insanity.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:15 pm

People I have access to communicate with regarding their knowledge and experiences:

My stepdad, who has a BA in chemistry and physics.
My wife, who has an AA in Early Childhood Education.
Nehemiah J., who has a PhD in geology.
Sheila K., who has a BA in anthropology.
Jonathan S., who has a PhD in physical chemistry.
Jay W., who has a PhD in nuclear chemistry.
Erick S., who has a PhD in physics and astronomy.
et al

So, how is it that not becoming indebted by thousands of dollars supposedly disables communication?

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:21 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Who says I'm limited to my own experiences and knowledge? Just by not being enrolled in college means I can't converse with professors, researchers, other students? Do you realize how patently absurd that is? You seem to think, or express rather, that without a formal education that one cannot communicate with others. What insanity.

You are taking this way too personally. In my posts I mean "you" as in the general "one" as in "people", not "you" as in "iamnotaparakeet". Nowhere do I indicate that one needs a formal education to communicate with others. Formal enrollment in a school can facilitate that communication, simply by bringing people together physically, but it is by no means a requirement. To the contrary, actually; I have learned a lot through WP, through casual conversations on a ski lift, etc..

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:24 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
Is it impossible to learn purely by teaching yourself without any social interaction at all? No, but you'd end up spending a lifetime constantly "re-inventing the wheel". For example, imagine in basic algebra that you weren't told how to multiply polynomials using FOIL (first, outer, inner, last)? .... extremes ...

Oh yes, I suppose it would be difficult and time consuming to learn everything on my own in the hyper-literal sensationalistic interpretation of the term autodidacticism. And if it would be overwhelmingly impossible to do that then it is also overwhelmingly impossible to study college textbooks, do the homework, and get feedback from friends as to the soundness or unsoundness of my work. Wow, that is simply one amazing piece of logic coming from a person with a PhD.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:30 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

You are taking this way too personally. In my posts I mean "you" as in the general "one" as in "people", not "you" as in "iamnotaparakeet". Nowhere do I indicate that one needs a formal education to communicate with others. Formal enrollment in a school can facilitate that communication, simply by bringing people together physically, but it is by no means a requirement. To the contrary, actually; I have learned a lot through WP, through casual conversations on a ski lift, etc..

Ok, so you meant vos rather than tu.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 9:11 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
People I have access to communicate with regarding their knowledge and experiences:

My stepdad, who has a BA in chemistry and physics.
My wife, who has an AA in Early Childhood Education.
Nehemiah J., who has a PhD in geology.
Sheila K., who has a BA in anthropology.
Jonathan S., who has a PhD in physical chemistry.
Jay W., who has a PhD in nuclear chemistry.
Erick S., who has a PhD in physics and astronomy.
et al

You are definitely privileged to have access to that kind of resource! :) When I was a senior in high school contemplating what to do next, all I knew were nurses and accountants. I was the first one in my extended family to pursue a physical science, so I didn't know anybody who could be a repository of information at the time. And this was 1994, before the Internet became widespread. Where could I get fast access to that information? College. Sure, in retrospect it probably wasn't the only way to get that info, but it was the only one I knew at the time, and one with which I was comfortable. I was a lot more antisocial back then, so I would've been very hesitant to call or snail-mail people I had never met to try to get info from them, but I was familiar with a classroom environment. In case you may be wondering, for my undergraduate education I got 1 year of scholarship, and the other 3 years I paid for out of my own pocket. My parents didn't pay for it. And for me, I never had any regrets about my decision to go to college. Not then, and not now. Indeed, I don't think formal education is for everybody. It's great for some people, and not great for others (such as yourself). I see no problem with that, and I do not regard you in any negative light at all by deciding that there are better alternatives for you than formal college education. What I find admirable is a willingness to continue to test one's own limits and to not back away from personal challenges, regardless of whether those challenges are on a college campus or at home.

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Wow, that is simply one amazing piece of logic coming from a person with a PhD.

iamnotaparakeet, I actually do agree with everything you're saying. I mean that seriously, and not sarcastically. All I'm saying is that there are always two sides to every situation.

And by the way, you can go ahead and insult my formal education degrees as much as you want. The diploma's just a piece of paper anyway. :) Life is all about what you learn along the way. It's about the journey, not the destination.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 9:31 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Wow, that is simply one amazing piece of logic coming from a person with a PhD.

iamnotaparakeet, I actually do agree with everything you're saying. I mean that seriously, and not sarcastically. All I'm saying is that there are always two sides to every situation.

And by the way, you can go ahead and insult my formal education degrees as much as you want. The diploma's just a piece of paper anyway. :) Life is all about what you learn along the way. It's about the journey, not the destination.

Sorry, it's just difficult for me to ascertain when a person is doing an extreme counterpoint as a way to demonstrate an extremity detriment or if they intend it to be meant in a more boolean manner.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
I see no problem with that, and I do not regard you in any negative light at all by deciding that there are better alternatives for you than formal college education.

For the record, I also do not object to keet's choices of what to do with his own life, time, and money. If he finds it preferable to read books in his spare time rather than pursue full-time formal education, that is his chocie.

What I do object to is the constant and overblown criticism of the educational system and people who are taking that route without knowing the details of those people or the system. I have a nagging suspicion that this is somewhat a case of "sour grapes" where keet was disappointed with his own experiences in the higher educational system and has projected that outward into an antipathy towards all formal education.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 10:24 pm

Orwell wrote:
Stinkypuppy wrote:
I see no problem with that, and I do not regard you in any negative light at all by deciding that there are better alternatives for you than formal college education.

For the record, I also do not object to keet's choices of what to do with his own life, time, and money. If he finds it preferable to read books in his spare time rather than pursue full-time formal education, that is his chocie.

What I do object to is the constant and overblown criticism of the educational system and people who are taking that route without knowing the details of those people or the system. I have a nagging suspicion that this is somewhat a case of "sour grapes" where keet was disappointed with his own experiences in the higher educational system and has projected that outward into an antipathy towards all formal education.

Actually, as compared to being in college, the quantity of spare time to study is greatly increased allowing me to study the textbooks, complete the review and practice questions, test my knowledge, etc. Being enrolled in college presents the additional time constraint of completing busywork within arbitrary deadlines, which it is simply a matter of mathematics to see that without such constraints there is more time to actually learn rather than merely perform.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 11:34 pm

I honestly can't remember the last time one of my professors assigned busywork. And I have a pretty good memory.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 11:37 pm

I only have a formal education up to the age of 13. Make of that what you will. (obvious genius) :lol:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 11:41 pm

Orwell wrote:
I honestly can't remember the last time one of my professors assigned busywork. And I have a pretty good memory.

Yes, we all know that the University of Miami is a good school. Lucky you.

jamieboy wrote:
I only have a formal education up to the age of 13. Make of that what you will. (obvious genius) Laughing

Did you drop out and continue your education on your own or did you just drop out and do nothing?

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 11:54 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Yes, we all know that the University of Miami is a good school. Lucky you.

jamieboy wrote:
I only have a formal education up to the age of 13. Make of that what you will. (obvious genius) Laughing

Did you drop out and continue your education on your own or did you just drop out and do nothing?

I dropped out due to mental health problems i was having at the time that i still have today. I have been able to become quite well read and literate through reading books, newspapers and online. I have no interest in the world of work or my societal status so this helps. If you are interested in getting a good job or having lots of status a degree would be the way to go.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 12:08 am

jamieboy wrote:
If you are interested in getting a good job or having lots of status a degree would be the way to go.

Actually, I'm more interested in saving up money I earn from my current job, investing it in a manner that within a decade the periodic return on investments will exceed the cost of living and just continue investing past then as well. I don't mind working personally, although sometimes I wish I had started doing this when I was a teenager since I was stronger then. Nevertheless, I care little to nothing about status symbols and as such I prefer to value what is real rather than what might as well be ornamental.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 12:22 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
If you are interested in getting a good job or having lots of status a degree would be the way to go.

Actually, I'm more interested in saving up money I earn from my current job, investing it in a manner that within a decade the periodic return on investments will exceed the cost of living and just continue investing past then as well. I don't mind working personally, although sometimes I wish I had started doing this when I was a teenager since I was stronger then. Nevertheless, I care little to nothing about status symbols and as such I prefer to value what is real rather than what might as well be ornamental.

It also seems to be very offputting to accumalate debt as it goes against my base common sense that it is better in terms of personal autonomy to be in the black financially. A mature degree here now (thanks to our current washington aping government) would set me back almost 30000 pounds. One could even make the case that the true market value of a degree is far lower. Particularly in regards to aspies who often end up in poor employment despite their educational attainment level.

Be careful if you do make investments that they are safe ones. I don't know what the ratio of people becoming bankrupt doing that is compared to people becoming Warren Buffet but i suspect the odds may be stacked against the individual.