Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:42 am

I am a 14 year old who has been fortunate enough to advance a year in History, enabling me to study NCEA Level 1 History in Year 10. I wish to know the curriculum of NCEA Level 1 History, although the end result is probably going to be inconclusive, I shall enquire nevertheless.

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2011, 3:51 am

It just so happens that I recently finished NCEA Level 1 History, but in my age's year. :roll:

Curriculum, eh? Dang it, I keep forgetting what these words mean. Well, the first day my teacher said everything we would learn was in the twentieth century (which I find dull compared to stuff like the middle ages, so I was immediately demotivated).

Term One was all about the 196-something (or was it 1986?) Springbok Tour (I am very bad with dates, which has cost me). Protests and events, the different opinions, et cetera was focused on. We had to do a difficult report-type thingy at the end where we gathered information from various sources about different views, analyzed it, highlighted important information and then wrote two speeches (we did not perform) from the differing viewpoints on whether the tour should have gone ahead or not.

Term Two was all about black civil rights in America, Martin Luther King, the various campaigns, Little Rock Nine, stuff like that. I cannot remember much of the actual work we did though.

Term Three was on the origins of World War 2, starting with the Treaty of Versailles, going on with other treaties the League of Nations, Appeasement of Hitler, et cetera. We also did a rushed timeline of World War 2 itself, but it was all focused on the causes.

Term Four we revised black civil rights and the origins of World War 2 (not the Springbok Tour) for the exam, only one topic had to be revised (I personally preferred the origins of World War 2).

Crap, I just remembered that on the exam itself, there was a big list of topics and you had to choose just one. I think different schools do different ones. I go to Western Springs College, so those are the topics we do there. If you are lucky (or even go to the same school 8O ) you might do some of these.

Oh yes, the exam itself had a long essay on one of the topics, a Sources paper that was irrelevant to the topical information we had learnt throughout the year (ours was on a major train crash due to a lahar damaging a bridge, I cannot remember what it was called) and then we had to write, from the perspectives of three different individuals, on an event relevant to one of the topics.

Hopefully this helps, sorry for a long post.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 4:04 am

E-FrameZenderblast wrote:
It just so happens that I recently finished NCEA Level 1 History, but in my age's year. :roll:

Curriculum, eh? Dang it, I keep forgetting what these words mean. Well, the first day my teacher said everything we would learn was in the twentieth century (which I find dull compared to stuff like the middle ages, so I was immediately demotivated).

Term One was all about the 196-something (or was it 1986?) Springbok Tour (I am very bad with dates, which has cost me). Protests and events, the different opinions, et cetera was focused on. We had to do a difficult report-type thingy at the end where we gathered information from various sources about different views, analyzed it, highlighted important information and then wrote two speeches (we did not perform) from the differing viewpoints on whether the tour should have gone ahead or not.

Term Two was all about black civil rights in America, Martin Luther King, the various campaigns, Little Rock Nine, stuff like that. I cannot remember much of the actual work we did though.

Term Three was on the origins of World War 2, starting with the Treaty of Versailles, going on with other treaties the League of Nations, Appeasement of Hitler, et cetera. We also did a rushed timeline of World War 2 itself, but it was all focused on the causes.

Term Four we revised black civil rights and the origins of World War 2 (not the Springbok Tour) for the exam, only one topic had to be revised (I personally preferred the origins of World War 2).

Crap, I just remembered that on the exam itself, there was a big list of topics and you had to choose just one. I think different schools do different ones. I go to Western Springs College, so those are the topics we do there. If you are lucky (or even go to the same school 8O ) you might do some of these.

Oh yes, the exam itself had a long essay on one of the topics, a Sources paper that was irrelevant to the topical information we had learnt throughout the year (ours was on a major train crash due to a lahar damaging a bridge, I cannot remember what it was called) and then we had to write, from the perspectives of three different individuals, on an event relevant to one of the topics.

Hopefully this helps, sorry for a long post.

Yes, I found this very useful thank you. I shall anticipate term three then!