I'm proud to be autistic, you should be too

Page 5 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Graceling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2018, 9:19 pm

In a few points:
1) I would never tell anyone how they should feel about being autistic, since I don't know anyone else's journey.
2) I've had a lot of grief and a lot of difficulty in my life due to my ASD, and part of me wishes I could do what NTs can do so easily sometimes. It's a rough life, and not for the faint of heart, and at times it really sucks.
3) If there was an Autistic Pride like there is an LGBT Pride, I would totally be right there!!

I'm very glad for everyone that is proud of being autistic. I kind of go back and forth, myself. I wouldn't change who and what I am, but it isn't always fun. So I can't blame anyone who doesn't agree with Autistic Pride.

Amanda G23
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2018, 4:38 pm

I agree with the OP. The reason I feel that way is because I consider autism to be a neurotype. The autistic neurotype is vulnerable to characteristic disabilities (which may or may not be present) but the disabilities don't define it. I don't understand why so many people are getting hung up on the definition of the word "pride". I understood that he meant it in the same sense as "gay pride"; that is: not ashamed and feeling positively about it, rather than neutral. He clarified that that's what he meant. How does it make sense to respond to a meaning that was never intended?