Are Christians responsible for the hatred of Jews today?

Page 12 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 4:37 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Actually, it didn't for the most part, as his friends and colleges made an effort to suppress this aspect of Luther's writings, as they knew he was no longer in his right frame of mind. His Antisemitic writings were largely (but not entirely) forgotten until the twentieth century, when the Nazis had rediscovered them, and incorporated them into their political philosophy and propaganda. There was already Antisemitism in German society, even without Luther's urging from the grave. But the rediscovery of this aspect of us Lutheran's past may explain why Nazism was able to make the jump from Catholic Bavaria to the Protestant north.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Horse feathers. There have been pogroms in Poland since the middle ages up to the 19th century.

Germany was an anti-semitic both before the time of Luther and afterward.

Spain was an anti-semtic country since the time of the reconquista.

All due to Christian attitudes, by the way.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Actually, it didn't for the most part, as his friends and colleges made an effort to suppress this aspect of Luther's writings, as they knew he was no longer in his right frame of mind. His Antisemitic writings were largely (but not entirely) forgotten until the twentieth century, when the Nazis had rediscovered them, and incorporated them into their political philosophy and propaganda. There was already Antisemitism in German society, even without Luther's urging from the grave. But the rediscovery of this aspect of us Lutheran's past may explain why Nazism was able to make the jump from Catholic Bavaria to the Protestant north.

Horse feathers. There have been pogroms in Poland since the middle ages up to the 19th century.

Germany was an anti-semitic both before the time of Luther and afterward.

Spain was an anti-semtic country since the time of the reconquista.

All due to Christian attitudes, by the way.

ruveyn

I think you misunderstood me. I said Germany was already Antisemitic without Luther's urging from the grave. I never said there wasn't any Antisemitism in Germany before or after Luther's time. I simply maintained that Luther's contribution to the hatred of Jews has been exaggerated, as his ugly, Antisemitic writings were largely forgotten until the Nazis dug them up for their own nefarious purposes.
As for Poland and Spain - I was addressing Germany specifically, and the Antisemitic problem in that country, not the others.
But it should be remembered, while Germany's Lutherans have been roundly criticized for either their bad behavior, or lack of good behavior, the Swedes, Norwegians, and Danes had always been praised and congratulated for aiding Jews in escaping certain death. Guess what - while Germany is a country of mixed confessions, the Scandinavian countries are almost entirely LUTHERAN!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

One thing I find very strange is that many of the people who accuse Christians of hating Jews are also fiercely pro-Palestinian.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

Chronos wrote:

At least 50% of my jewish family members have been subjected to some form of anti-semitism at some point in their life.

Everyone gets picked on. If I went and lived in Israel, I'm sure people would pick on me for being an American at least once or twice. I'm not saying nobody hates Jews, I'm just saying most people hold them in high regard in this day and age, because they feel sorry for them and because most Jews are not poor and really the hate for minorities today is in large part due to their poverty.

The far-right of today, the neocons are mostly philo-Semitic. There's nothing really special about anti-Semitism, Jews historically have been nomadic and thus they have been a minority everywhere except Israel, and minorities are always going to be treated badly on occasion no matter what kind of minority they are or where in the world they are.