Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 5:24 pm

Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
psychoanalytically, people feel less inadequate when they belittle another person, whatever the reason. Also, some people may simply have a stereotypical prejudice.

Biases are part of human sociology.

I suspect this is a lot of the reason why.

In-group and out-group changes with time. Trends. Whatever.

Aspies?? Probably actually on our way to being an in-group, from the nadir of the late 20th century.

But there will always be an out-group too. We need one. It's part of human wiring.

Anyone else up for a nice glass of Kool-Aid????

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 5:59 pm

mellisamouse wrote:
I think in their own way, that people are actually trying to complement you for being fit, or for having red hair, and it isn't meant in a bad way.

Like me being only 4'8, for years I took "hey shorty" and other comments as a put down, and years later finally realised those comments were all out of affection for their "munchkin" friend.... they thought it was cute, not bad....

Hmm, I disagree about the red hair thing. I had a friend at school who was teased for having red hair and it was malicious. She was really pale for a white person as well and self concious about it. She never had a tan even in summer. Whenever I hear jokes about pasty red heds on the tv I think of how hurt she was by the name calling.

I am of indian origin and although not that dark, I did get teased for being different. I can tell the difference between someone complimenting my skintone and when someone is implying that i'm a dark foreigner. I always thought it was the same slagging someone for having pale skin is as bad as tormenting a dark skinned person. Both are bullying.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 7:12 pm

Grisha wrote:
Do people even think about what they are saying?

Nope.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 7:16 pm

Everyone is discriminated against. It's how humans work. We categorise people by stereotypes.

mellisamouse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Dec 2011, 7:56 am

hurtloam wrote:
Hmm, I disagree about the red hair thing. I had a friend at school who was teased for having red hair and it was malicious. She was really pale for a white person as well and self concious about it. She never had a tan even in summer. Whenever I hear jokes about pasty red heds on the tv I think of how hurt she was by the name calling.

I am of indian origin and although not that dark, I did get teased for being different. I can tell the difference between someone complimenting my skintone and when someone is implying that i'm a dark foreigner. I always thought it was the same slagging someone for having pale skin is as bad as tormenting a dark skinned person. Both are bullying.

In a case like that then, I call jealousy and insecurity on the bully.... take it as a complement that they are scared of your beauty, and screw them for being jealouse.