Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

"Choosy moms choose jif"?
That's an outrage! How dare they presume so much about mothers!! 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
It is true. If your mom doesn't buy jif, she hates you and hopes you die. 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
This kind of false advertising needs to be banned, and the perpetrators tarred and feathered!! ! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I like it when companies lie to me. 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Choosy moms choose AG 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
I actually don't like peanut butter. 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
All of the above + two slices of bread and a knife for spreading 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 11:50 am

I find the jif slogan about their brand and who buys them offensive.

"choosy moms choose Jif."

It suggests that if your mom is not choosy, then she does not buy jif, and if she is choosy, she does buy jif.

I am a finicky purchaser(and mother to an outrageous number of ideas and threads), and I bought skippy peanut butter.

Some mothers who are thoughtless purchasers buy jif.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 11:59 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

It suggests that if your mom is not choosy, then she does not buy jif, and if she is choosy, she does buy jif.

I am a finicky purchaser(and mother to an outrageous number of ideas and threads), and I bought skippy peanut butter.

SUE THEM!! !
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47xPRSaIWpY[/youtube]

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:05 pm

I detect a hint of payback.

I think all advertising should be gender-neutral.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:22 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

Cheesy/choosy mothers topic

I remember the original TV ad airing in the early to mid 60s. The slogan, while offensive today (2011) was not seen as such in its heyday. Evelyn Ryan (The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio) may have coined this phrase for the JIF people. Jingle contests were popular in the early days of television and a very kitschy form of advertisement on product labels. Now they are seen as examples of american TV folklore.

I remember TV commercials because they were repetitive and the lyrics were set to music and I would dance around, singing them. Sort of ASish, I guess. I suppose the point was that kids would hound their moms to go out and buy the stuff. I did not believe in those ads but it was fun, and I still remember most of them when I am reminded, like now: The TV mother would spread the peanut butter thickly on a slice of Plastic Wonder brand white bread and give it to her kids, smiling and happy (my mother would spread it very thin, on a piece of homemade bread or crackers, with a scowl on her face, as our food was rationed, even if peanut butter was cheap, and it sure was not the Jiffy brand :P ). Of course I never knew I went without until later. :lol:

Ads seem to to inspire brand familiarity and loyalty. I still just buy what is cheap and healthy enough. I still like peanut butter, though some people are allergic, and some brands are overprocessed.

AG, I know you were probably intending for this post to be a facetious bit of fluff ( ah, Marshmallow Fluff on a p-butter sandwich, which I never ate because my mom never bought it. :wink:), but I enjoyed the memories and the words and tunes for various jungles (including Marshmallow Fluff) came flooding back. :lol: :D But your point is well made. People who do not think just go out and buy what they have been subconciously subjected to, like brainwashing.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:47 pm

The slogan was directed at the moms themselves -not at the kids.

Its not intended to make kids hate their moms it supposed to persuade the moms to buy jif for the kids by planting the idea that jif is better for kids.

That Jif is any better (nor even significantly different) from any other peanut butter is ofcourse pure bs, but so is every other slogan for every other commercial product.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm

Gawd...
If "choosey mothers choose jif" causes that much apoplexy Im glad you all dont live in the Washington DC area where the Syms chain of clothing stores has advertised for decades with this slogan:

"An educated consumer is our biggest custormer."

Every now and then the husband and wife owners will appear on camera to state that theyre not talking about "formal education"- they mean educated AS consumers, but even so..

Try wrapping your heads around THAT slogan!

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2011, 8:56 pm

Mom didn't eat much peanut butter when i was kid, and she bought Pal peanut butter because my sister and I liked that the best, for its consistency and flavor and that it came in a big bucket. We thought that was neat. A few times she bought the "natural" kind that you have to stir every time you open the jar, we thought that was neat too. I'm world-weary of most advertising. I translate it inside my head. Like the Enjoli commercial from back in the day: "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never, never, never, never let you forget you're a man, 'cuz I wear cheap stinky discount cologne from your local discount store!"
A lot of advertising makes me really hate the product, especially tv commercials for internet service and cellphones and stuff.
There's one commercial that tries to make parents buy the cool SUV's simply because your child doesn't want to be seen in anything else. Sheesh.
Commercials that feature children behaving like real jerks and parents responding with mollifications or the same jerkish behavior make me ill.
I don't care what any commercial says: Shasta soda is good. Shasta has the most variety of flavors and tastes the same. I think several of them taste better than the "brand names," especially the fruit sodas.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 2:05 am

If the legislators have to cite constitutional authority, should we not make it clear whether this falls into Pol of Phil [Polyfilla?] or Rel?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 8:35 am

Philologos wrote:
If the legislators have to cite constitutional authority, should we not make it clear whether this falls into Pol of Phil [Polyfilla?] or Rel?

What are you talking about?

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 10:59 am

I love bitching and shouting at my TV when I see adds like that :lol: The amount of shouting I do at ad's like this is unreal

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONJKRHtmRg4&playnext=1&list=PL6DA1C49722004C70[/youtube]

SO MUCH BS! :wall: SO MUCH BULLSSHHHIIIITTTTTT *insert world's angriest avatar

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 4:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Philologos wrote:

POLitics

PHILosophy

RELigion

Polyfilla [spelling? Been a long time] is in there as a humorous free association - not, I think Freudian.

I cannot figure out hoe the post fits here.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 6:26 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

I think all advertising should be gender-neutral.

What about feminine hygiene products?

I'd really love to see a gender-neutral ad for Victoria's Secret.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 7:22 pm

Philologos wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Philologos wrote:

POLitics

PHILosophy

RELigion

Polyfilla [spelling? Been a long time] is in there as a humorous free association - not, I think Freudian.

I cannot figure out hoe the post fits here.

It is actually a parody of a more explicitly political post by MasterJedi. If it weren't semi-necroed(it isn't that old, but y'know) then the context would have made more sense. Outside of that context though, this post wasn't worth presenting, which is kind of the problem you are running into.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 12:23 am

Well.

Timeliness is a problem with such cross references. In my case, it does not help that I blank out a lot of MasterJedi's posts here, and that I find trying to look at vid clips is more trouble than it is worth.

One of those "guess you had to be there" moments.

I should probably learn to censor things like the Polyfilla bit.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:18 am

Philologos wrote:
Well.

Timeliness is a problem with such cross references. In my case, it does not help that I blank out a lot of MasterJedi's posts here, and that I find trying to look at vid clips is more trouble than it is worth.

One of those "guess you had to be there" moments.

I should probably learn to censor things like the Polyfilla bit.

Right, timeliness is a problem. Basically, the original thread was MasterJedi criticizing a republican slogan, so this is countering by criticizing the Jif slogan on similar terms. One could extrapolate this into grander philosophical themes if pressed, but, I don't think that such an inflated justification is needed at this point.