Methylation, Depression, Schizophrenia & Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

locster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2011, 5:03 pm

I've spent considerable time over the last few years researching (in my spare time) the biochemistry of various mental disorders and possible treatments that may 'tweak' that chemistry towards improved health. Mostly I search for research papers (e.g. google scholar) using search phrases such as austism, aspergers, cfs, fatigue, anxiety, depression, schizophrenia but also some secondary search phrases such as allergy/ies, asthma, rhinitis, acne, dermatitis, scoliosis, fibromyalgia, ocd.

One very promising area that comes up a lot is that of the methionine cycle. The below pdf of 36 slides presents a very nice overview of the biochemical mechanisms, the enzymes involved and research linking some of the above mentioned conditions with problems at various stages in the cycle. I urge people to take a look at this as a good introduction to this promising research direction, perhaps skipping over any parts you may not quite understand initially and asking questions here to fill in any gaps.

Methylation, Depression, Schizophrenia & Autism (pdf, 36 pages/slides)

You may also find this diagram useful. My intention is to expand/annotate this diagram as I learn more.

Diagram: Methionine Cycle

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by locster on 16 Jan 2011, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ben10scotland
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2011, 6:13 pm

Hello Locster, I am researching methionine myself and a certain deficiency state, Arakawas II in relation to autism and would be glad to collaborate with you in your research. I think I know the pathway methionine may help with.

Pm me if interested, thanks