Page 1 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Hydrant
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2011, 9:32 am

An argument against it is the slippery slope thing. What, would allowing same sex marriage lead to allowing marriage between an animal, corpse, child, refrigerator or multiple people? I don't think so. The slippery slope thing is flawed.

Tsela
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2011, 9:52 am

That exact same argument was used in the past by opponents of interracial marriage. It's indeed b******t.

Marriage was made truly equal in a few countries already. In the Netherlands we are celebrating this year the tenth anniversary of this happening. No sign of slippery slope, no one even proposing such things should be legalised. Just plenty of people happy that true equality was reached and that institutionalised discrimination finally ended.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 10:19 am

If you are not convinced of the existence of e slippery slope in some form or another, look at the statistics relating to abortion since it's legalization.

As to people not proposing that such things be legalized, look at the things that the lobby groups who favor same-sex marriage are also pressing for.

Was not spoken of the soul.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 10:22 am

The slippery slope argument only applies when the checks and balances that prevent it from going further are weak enough. It's already been strongly established that f*****g animals, corpses, children, and anything other than the nuclear family model are bad so gay marriage or civil union isn't going to pave the way for legalizing these things.

@ 91: What else are they pressing for? I haven't really seen anything other than them pressing for gay marriage.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 10:26 am

think man, think!

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 10:33 am

@Ace
Check out this short video on the subject, does a pretty good job of summing most of the major points. (Sorry, have limited Internet access atm).

http://www.whatyououghttoknow.com/show/ ... -marriage/

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 12:54 pm

The start of the slippery slope occurred when we decided that young people (and women in particular) should be free to make their own choices about whom they would marry.

Now, I don't deny that small changes can lead to bigger changes. But sometimes you just have to accept the fact that the world is not the same today as it was before.

Women are no longer chattels. Lesbian and gay people are full members of a free and democratic society. Those arguments are over--some people just haven't left the room, yet.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 1:20 pm

Hydrant wrote:
An argument against it is the slippery slope thing. What, would allowing same sex marriage lead to allowing marriage between an animal, corpse, child, refrigerator or multiple people? I don't think so. The slippery slope thing is flawed.

Slippery slop topic

Legal Marriage is between two consenting adult humans. I am a speciesist. :P

And if (horrors) I accidentally married a refrigerator and became pregnant by it, I would demand divorce and abortion asap.

I would not want to give birth to a potential refrigerator mom or dad. :twisted: Or a little freezer. :wink:

My apologies to GE, LG, Whirlpool, or other proponents of such major appliances. :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 1:30 pm

Opponents of same-sex marriage should not need to resort to slippery slope arguments. Same-sex marriage is absurd enough as it is.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 5:36 pm

A "slippery slope" argument can be applied to absolutely anything.

If someone wants to marry a refrigerator, I don't really care, anyway.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 5:40 pm

Know what HAS actually been a slippery slope? Allowing professional lobbyists.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 5:45 pm

91 wrote:
If you are not convinced of the existence of e slippery slope in some form or another, look at the statistics relating to abortion since it's legalization.

As to people not proposing that such things be legalized, look at the things that the lobby groups who favor same-sex marriage are also pressing for.

Is that the statistic that records that there are more abortions now that abortions are legal, acceptable, and monitored and recorded by health authorities, than there were when abortions were secret, illegal, forbidden and not spoken of in polite society, and NOT recorded or monitored? Who would have thought that that might happen?

Because clearly the meticulous official statistics for back-street knitting-needle terminations are going to be comprehensive....

Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 6:17 pm

^^^^^

Any basic reading of the facts proves this statement totally wrong.
http://www.grtl.org/docs/roevwade.pdf

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 6:38 pm

The closest I've ever gotten to figuring that "logic" out is:

Gay marriage is not straight marriage,
dog marriage is not straight marriage,
therefore gay marriage and dog marriage are the same.

And obviously, anything can be substituted for "dog marriage," and thus all non-straight marriage is the same as all other non-straight marriage.

Marrying a statue == marrying same-sex person == marrying a (space) alien == marrying Bigfoot.

And I think there is some element of not believing that same-sex people can love each other; that it's some kind of a joke or a farce or a that it's all about some kind of sexual fetish.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 7:09 pm

I think that if we really want that hard for marriage to be a legal figure, it should be allowed between all sorts of people and all quantities of people as long as they are all in capacity of consent. If you want to marry a person of the same sex, go ahead. If you want to marry two girls and your male cousin, go ahead. If you want to marry yourself, go ahead, to me, that's beautiful.

Also, it should be allowed to marry objects and fictional characters not owned by another person's copyright.

Children, Animals, and other living beings unable to give consent legally, would be of course not be allowed for marriage, that's abuse

91 wrote:
If you are not convinced of the existence of e slippery slope in some form or another, look at the statistics relating to abortion since it's legalization..

I don't think you understand what a slippery slope argument is? It sounds as if you thought that "If we make abortion legal then more abortions would be counted in statistics" that's not a slippery slope, it is a rather obvious thing...

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 7:19 pm

@ Vexcalibur

Sorry but fictional charecters and objects don't have the power to give consent either.

The slippery slope argument does have merit, especially when you consider the idiots writing the laws. Further some cultures encourage the behavior you're saying should remain illegal. I could see them then arguing religious discrimination here in the US.

Further there are Gay Rights groups that also support pedophilia, granted some of the other groups take issue with those groups.

Before an argument is dismissed out of hand you should at least consider the possibility that it may in fact have some grounding in facts.