Are country fans comfortable in their lives?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Jan 2011, 11:25 am

I sometimes hear about these music studies when I'm listening to the radio about what people's taste in music say about their personalities :arrow:
Rap fans are confident & outgoing.
Rock fans are frustrated & have low self-esteem.
Pop fans are happy & have energy.
Country fans are comfortable with their lives.

I will not disagree with the 1st 3. Sometimes when I'm doing things with friends I kinda feel like an NT & I feel more outgoing & confident & if rap is on; I like it but the rest of the time I'm not really into rap. I listened to rock more years ago when I was more angry about things & I tend to listen to rock more now when I'm mad about something. I've been listening to pop a lot lately & I've been in a pretty good mood for the most part & I like the beat in pop music.
I do not agree about country thou. I like country but I find it depressing. When I was depressed years ago; country was the worse music for me to listen to because it made me want to cry. It doesn't make me want to cry nowadays too much but I find even the happy songs tend to be kinda depressing in a way. Are those music studies waaay off about country or is it me :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 12:19 pm

Those generalizations are generally true. Any artist will get the fans he or she deserves. This is true of restaurants, movies, and individual people, because you get what you put out there. Hipsters generally listen to watered down rock and rap and pop like Nickelback and Katy Perry and Ke$ha. People who hate music like that will listen to anything before a certain year (the year might change depending on who you ask; usually around 2000 or so) just so they can say they don't listen to modern music. One guy I knew insisted that "modern music" was an oxymoron. I don't think it's the music that reveals people's personalities, it's their personalities that reveal their taste in music. Most of my friends have a similar taste in music to me, and I've found that's the norm for friends. Country fans are usually from the country. There are a lot of people that listen to country around where I live, but everywhere else I go, no fans. It's more of a regional thing as far as I know. Of course, there is always watered down "country" like Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift for the hipsters that want to have their cake and eat it too.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 2:50 pm

^^^Good post Mindslave. I find music affects my feelings some but my feelings determine the music I listen to as well; it's hard to explain. I find what you said about hipsters interesting because stuff like Nickelback, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Carrie Underwood, & Taylor Swift are some of my fav artist & I'm not a hipster. Getting back to country music; a lot of the songs are about problems with life especially relationships so it seems kind of odd to me that country fans would be comfortable in their lives. I live in the south & the few freinds I do have around me are into rock & metal. I like more country than they do & I'm more liberal than they are; I've also been true bad depression & have more mental issues than they do. It doesn't quite make sense :?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 3:47 pm

What about jazz?

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 8:59 pm

What about Post-Rock?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 7:07 pm

Would The Kinks be considered as rock or pop?

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 7:23 pm

Rap fans are confident & outgoing.
Yes I'll buy that, they're also more likely to be convicted of a crime and more likely to have an IQ under 90

Rock fans are frustrated & have low self-esteem.
I guess I could agree with that, I've listened to rock since middle school and been depressed since 3rd grade

HAHAHA no, maybe OLDER pop fans but in people under 30 they are usually miserable, energetic but miserable

Country fans are comfortable with their lives.
This I could definitely agree with, I started actively listening to Country when I moved back in with my mom and started spending time with my friend Zack, who listens to mostly country. Since about that time I've started living my life without constantly complaining about how sh***y it is, it is very sh***y but it's still fun.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 8:20 pm

Aimless wrote:
What about jazz?

I'm not sure about jazz. Jazz isn't as popular as the other categories.

CockneyRebel wrote:
Would The Kinks be considered as rock or pop?

I would consider em rock but the pop category is very blurred sometimes. Some rap, country & rock can fall into that category.
BTW if you get country & pop confused sometimes~ if the artist was ever on American Idol or Disney; it's considered pop but Billy Ray Cyrus is an exception. If the artist is a guy; it is considered country. If the artist is a girl; it's considered pop but the country stations will still play it.

Pistonhead wrote:
HAHAHA no, maybe OLDER pop fans but in people under 30 they are usually miserable, energetic but miserable

Are you thinking of that EMO/screamo stuff that's kinda like a cross between rock & pop :?: Those Kids Bop commercials & the younger kids I've known who watch those Disney artist seem pretty happy to me

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 8:26 pm

Pop, like the s**t Michael Jackson made.