Anyone suffer from laziness and/or lack of willpower?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Solidess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2006, 6:41 pm

Walk-in-the-rain:

THANK YOU so much for your post! I never even heard of Dysthymia before, but after reading those links, that sounds EXACTLY what I have! I have been miserable, well on most days anyway, and its been this way for many months now - over a year for sure. I knew I had Aspergers, but I couldn't explain WHY I was always so sad for months lately, I KNEW there had to be something going on here, some type of depression. But I guess I thought depression was only for when you're not very functional AT ALL, I didn't realise there are different forms of it. And yes, AS people are more prone to depression than the general population. I think it is a combination of just how our brains work differently, and also the life circumstance too, if things aren't going the way you want them too.

How this relates to the lack of motivation, well, I've always ALWAYS as far as I've known, had trouble being able to stay on task and do things, even if its something I wanted and planned to do. Somehow, if it has so many steps involved, it is overwhelming and I don't know how to tackle it, and its just easier to immerse myself in other easier things. But absolutely, lack of motivation to do things, if its combined with negative feelings and mood (you tell yourself you can't do something or that its probably a waste of time), it could be a type of depression. I think i know exactly what my problem is now, but it sucks ASS that I have a condition that keeps dragging me down into depressions! It's such a shame, because maybe I have the ability to do alot with myself if I actually could stay postive and focused on anything!! !

Morphia:

That is exactly me too. Although this looks like laziness to other people, and maybe it IS, I feel like I can't HELP it though! I am constantly just surviving and indulging in relaxing or pleasureful actitivities, but so often I feel pained when I realise that THIS ISN'T ENOUGH FOR A HAPPY LIFE, but what to do about it? Sometimes it is about making sure I don't stress or that Ihave to unwind, but more often, it is like some force that just repells me away from doing anything USEFUL.

lae wrote:
One of these days when we get around to it we should all start a procrastinator's club. :)

Hey, what a great idea! Lets do it tomorrow.

Or..... next week.

Or whenever we get around to it, if that even happens. :roll:

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 6:43 pm

I am a terrible procrastinator as well but I don't know if it has much to do with AS. All my college work assignments usually ended up being completed the night before and that went wholly against my own preferences, but sometimes, just getting started on something can be so difficult. I often find that I start things and then take far longer to finish them than is really necessary, even things I like doing.

For those who think excessive procrastination and failure to meet deadlines might have something to do with AS, a link http://www.autistics.org/library/inertia.html might shed some light.

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2006, 8:01 am

Vinzer wrote:
I was going to type up a very long and well thought out post concerning this subject, but then I just didn't feel like it anymore.

I wanted to thank you for the laugh you just gave me.

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2006, 3:30 pm

overflow wrote:
Vinzer wrote:
I was going to type up a very long and well thought out post concerning this subject, but then I just didn't feel like it anymore.

I wanted to thank you for the laugh you just gave me.

Me as well! :)

I also have major issues acually doing anything. So I usually wind up doing nothing at all. The thing that annoys me is I have all these ideas and thoughts as to what I could be doing, but in the end I am never able to act on these thoughts. I hate it~!

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2006, 5:19 pm

whats the point of doing something you don't have to do ? :lol:

NT's are all worried about impressing each other so are driven to do things. We understand no matter what we do it ain't going to help our social situations so why bother worrying about trying to keep up with the Jones?

muchacha
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2006, 12:27 pm

Of course there are days when i have tremendous willpower and motivation...but then my computer can't be bothered.

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2006, 1:38 pm

Xuincherguixe wrote:
I suspect that your problem might not be an issue of willpower, so much as difficulty in staying motivated.

I think that most of us on the Spectrum can have tremendous wills, but just willpower is often not enough.

That's how I see my own problems which also sound very similar.

yea, i can relate. i've found that enthusiasm is the best medicine. and role models of people with similar interests who have been successful. this seems to motivate me the most. it is easy to be down on oneself, beleive me, i am good at that, but it is also important to remember that you can make a difference every day, like taking action for one day, even if its just for an hour, is a huge motivator for me. i hope this was helpful...

mike gee