aspie pride
i am proud to have it!! !! 75%  75%  [ 57 ]
i hate it so much!! !! !! 25%  25%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 76

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 8:50 pm

the only thing i like about it is the great memory/high intellegence. i hate everything else

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 12:26 pm

Quote:
Proud adj 1. a feeling pleasure or satisfaction over something regarded as highly honorable or creditable to oneself (often fol. by of, an infinitive, or a clause).
2. having, proceeding from, or showing a high opinion of one's own dignity, importance, or superiority.
3. having or showing self-respect or self-esteem.

Proud is not the word I would use. I am not ashamed of my neurological status, but as the other have stated, it's not exactly an accomplishment. I am accepting of my Asperger's. It's who I am, and I'll take it as is. Not that I really have a choice in the matter :wink:

Asperger's is like a annoying roommate. At times you just really hate him, but at least he helps pay the rent. Not that that makes any sense lol.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 12:55 pm

GammaGeek wrote:
Quote:
Proud adj 1. a feeling pleasure or satisfaction over something regarded as highly honorable or creditable to oneself (often fol. by of, an infinitive, or a clause).
2. having, proceeding from, or showing a high opinion of one's own dignity, importance, or superiority.
3. having or showing self-respect or self-esteem.

Proud is not the word I would use. I am not ashamed of my neurological status, but as the other have stated, it's not exactly an accomplishment. I am accepting of my Asperger's. It's who I am, and I'll take it as is. Not that I really have a choice in the matter :wink:

Asperger's is like a annoying roommate. At times you just really hate him, but at least he helps pay the rent. Not that that makes any sense lol.

Yes. For most of this post the readers have been replacing "proud" with "happy" for their answers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:48 pm

I used to feel a sense of shame, especially back in junior high, and high school, because I was so inexplicably weird - some even perceived me as ret*d. But since I've been diagnosed with Asperger's, and have come to realize that not only is my behavior normal for me, but that there are others in the world like me, I've learned to embrace who I am.
So, yeah, you can say I feel a sense of pride.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

jamiethesilent
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2011, 4:03 am

Pride. because without I would not be me. Although I find certain things difficult, it allows me to be me.

- Cruch Bang Linux.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 4:58 am

i feel neither pride nor shame from having a disability, but sometimes i do feel awesome and mysterious. lol. usually without the awesome though.

MelyssaK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2011, 1:26 am

I suppose you could say I am proud. Because if I did not have it, I would not be who I am today. I would not be as intelligent and acing my classes and probably would not be as artistic and creative. But I also would not have suffered through physical bullying in school as a child. So, it's kind of a double-edged sword. But I would not change me for anything. However, that doesn't mean I am happy with everything about myself. I am just not unhappy with it enough to wish I were different.

Sparx139
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2011, 4:48 am

My aspergers is neither good nor bad. It simply is. In some circumstances it beneficial, like being tall allows you to reach things that are on the top shelf, and in others it's a detriment, like hitting your head on everything.

With this philosophy in mind, I can't really say I'm proud or ashamed of it. I accept it, but I still get frustrated to the point of tears when it holds me back. However, I try to focus on the symptoms rather than the cause - it helps me avoid the black/white decision offered in the poll

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 10:07 am

I chose proud, but I chose it thinking that it meant I enjoyed having it.

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 4:12 pm

Dislike it, but I'm starting to accept myself. Earlier I really hated it so that I often felt ashamed enough to cry.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 10:04 am

Jonsi wrote:
I chose proud, but I chose it thinking that it meant I enjoyed having it.

it does

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 4:45 pm

I can't really say I enjoy being an aspie, but it's scary to think of myself being any different. So I guess I'd have to say proud. I don't think of myself being inferior (and in some ways I'd say I'm superior) than others, but at the same time, having Asperger's can make life so much harder.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2011, 5:39 pm

Aspie and proud. :)

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

10 Feb 2011, 4:32 pm

'Proud' or 'Hate' are not how I would describe my feelings of having the condition. The only word that remotely comes close to my feelings about Asperger's would be 'Different". It is what it is.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Feb 2011, 4:42 pm

I am proud to have Asperger's.

There are two types of pride. One is associated with arrogance, the other is not (the type I have). My pride is the definition of pride that states that a person is satisfied and happy with the things they have done as a result of who they are. There is nothing wrong with that kind of pride. We should be satisfied and happy with ourselves.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 5:28 am

I think "proud" is the wrong word. Being an aspie is not an accomplishment.
I am content with myself about who am I and why I am that way. I can't understand being any other way.