Internet generation only: Are you good with computers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 6:02 pm

I have pretty good computer skills. I can copy and paste or update my iPod, but I could never make a website or fix a crashing computer. I've noticed how good some Aspies are with computers.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2011, 6:30 pm

I'm pretty good with software, but my expertise on hardware problems consists of nine words: "Did you turn it off and back on again?". Well that or four words: "Did you restart it?" or another four words: "Is it plugged in?"

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2011, 9:25 pm

I'm fantastic with computers - can learn any software, fix some hardware. But I guess that's a special interest. :)

corruptedsmile
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2011, 11:41 pm

i only got good at what i experienced. so no programing stuff but im pretty good at, removing viruses, emulators, down-loadable games, and finding safe websites to download stuff but that came after several virus infested nes, and snes roms.

ps. never download legend of zelda for nes. got 3 viruses trying to get that game, and all 3 of them crippled my computer.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2011, 3:50 am

well... I was born about two or three years before the internet as we know it today got "invented"... however, first time I got in contact with this "internet" was just a little more than ten years ago :D

I'm pretty much a complete nerd, as i'm able to fix, by far, the most problems in computers. I can perform diagnosis, overclock, setup, install operating systems, perform maintenance, assemble a computer, program (mostly in C#, but I have done C++, Java and Assembly before), create simple webpages (some basic HTML code stuff) as well as some cracking.

however, considering that I don't have any of those skills on paper, it's still hard to get a computer-related job for me.

Currently, though i'm on a CS course with focus on gaming and game mechanics.... finally teachers with at least some competence :roll:

Programming is quite easy once you know more or less how to think like a computer. Low level programming languages (Assembly, BASIC) are quite bitchy but are good tools to learn the mindset you need to program, while high-level languages are good at teaching the syntax. There are loads of good tutorials on the net that are just one google search away :D

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 4:19 am

I'm terrible with computers. I just don't understand any of the technicalities. :roll:

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jan 2011, 7:07 am

I'm pretty good with hardware, but I can't do anything all that spectacular with software, just installing software, not getting viruses, installing OSes, and I can kinda sorta compile a program in linux if I have the instructions in front of me.

Yowuza
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jan 2011, 12:09 pm

Yes, but I haven't learnt any programming languages yet.

Kai_Bliss
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2011, 7:57 pm

nodice1996 wrote:
I'm pretty good with hardware, but I can't do anything all that spectacular with software, just installing software, not getting viruses, installing OSes, and I can kinda sorta compile a program in linux if I have the instructions in front of me.

Same here, I am starting to learn how to make Nazi Zombie maps for Call of Duty with Radiant. I can program hardware though, that's easy.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 11:13 pm

I think I have above average computer skills because my dad's a computer programmer. But I don't know programming languages or anything, and I can't fix a major problem. I've never tried to learn these things because I'm not really interested in them.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 12:53 am

I am rather imbecilic in terms of computers and other forms of IT. I know how to operate a Windows and a Mac laptop, but I am unable to comprehend any of the complexities concerning the hardware etc.

jamiethesilent
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2011, 5:11 am

My current special interest in Linux & C programing. I am reasonably proficient on the CLI.

- Cruch Bang Linux.

LucasOak
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jan 2011, 9:48 pm

I've built a computer from scratch during a summer course, and taught myself a little Visual Basic.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:16 am

I don't know if I'm within the internet generation, but I can navigate and fix computers quite well. Never built one, however.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 2:53 pm

I'm not great with computers really, I spent most of my I.C.T lessons in school just wondering off from the subject and creating dodgy looking collages which usually involved pictures of apes in tuxedos with guns and somewhat 'unsavoury' looking carrots which generated a lot of innuendous thoughts.

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2011, 9:33 pm

Probably, I am the house techie, but honestly it's not something I ever tried to be. I think it is all about attitude. Seems likes most people never bother to ask the basic questions, but I have always done that and then gone and answered them for myself. I'm not sure what else it takes.

With an attitude like that I taught myself a language or 2 over my breaks. You know, in case I ever needed a server or whutev.