Do you associate music with various things?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2011, 7:10 am

Do you associate music with books, people, places, games, events, et cetera? I do, and I would like to know if anybody else does too - is it an Asperger's thing, unique to me, or maybe everybody does it. Basically, whenever I listen to this music, I start thinking of what it reminds me of.

For example, I associate the Kroitzer (no idea how it is spelt) with Calvin and Hobbes, because I was listening to it for the first few times while reading Calvin and Hobbes.

Astor Piazzolla's entire Camorra album with Runescape, same reason as above.

Another Astor Piazzolla piece (Los Suenos) with a girl at school, because I had a long conversation with her for the first time not long before I suddenly had an urge to listen to this piece.

Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain with the Old Kingdom Chronicles by Garth Nix.

Holst's The Planets with Wellington.

Gershwin's An American in Paris with the Wheel of Time series, mostly the first book.

And others...

What are some of yours, if any?

BlueMage
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2011, 7:47 am

Everyone does that.

I also associate video game sound effect with events. Like that Zelda-ditty when I acquire something new. Or that Mario brothers pipe-traveling sound when I go between two places.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 8:34 am

Definitely. Also when listening to a song, I remember the best time when I heard that song before, and associate it with that memory, if that makes sense.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 9:25 am

E-FrameZenderblast wrote:
Do you associate music with books, people, places, games, events, et cetera? I do, and I would like to know if anybody else does too - is it an Asperger's thing, unique to me, or maybe everybody does it. Basically, whenever I listen to this music, I start thinking of what it reminds me of.

This is strange, I was just thinking about making a thread about this earlier today 8O

And yes, yes, yes, yes - I do that :D
Here's a few examples;

I associate the songs "Close Your Eyes" by Paradise Lost and "Tight Rope" by Lacuna Coil with the book "Echoes of the Great Song" by David Gemmell.

I associate the songs "Winter of my Soul" by L'âme Immortelle and "Call from the Grave" by Bathory with some of my, uhm, non-sexual torture fantasies.

I associate the songs "Cloak of Midnight" by Carpathian Forest and "Hybrid Stigmata - The Apostasy" by Dimmu Borgir with the book "Indigo: Inferno" by Louise Cooper.

I associate the song "The Only One" by Evanescence with the tv show Lost.

I associate many songs by Dimmu Borgir with the Burning Legion from Warcraft games.

I associate some songs by Beyond Sensory Experience with a game I played a lot when I was younger - Creatures 2.

I associate the song "Away" by Nightwish with Galadriel remembering Lothlórien after years have passed. (Lord of the Rings related)

I associate most songs by Android Lust and Angelspit with the "Quantum Gravity" books by Justina Robson. Also the songs "Picture Perfect!" by Jeffree Star, "How Strange" by Emilie Autumn and "Lovesong" by Snake River Conspiracy.

I associate the song "You Are the Dead" by In Slaughter Natives with the Scourge from Warcraft games.

...and so on! I really love this phenomenon, as it makes it even more enjoyable to listen to the songs :D

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 11:18 am

I associate "Ligger Med Varandra" by DJ Auzern with Alice in Wonderland (2010). It's because I listened to the song on repeat the day I went to see the movie in theaters.

Similarly, I associate "Queen of Light" by E-Rotic with the White Queen from the same movie simply because the title of the song could be an alternate name for the character.

I associate "In The Clockyard" by Abney Park with Edward Scissorhands because it's a song about an artificial man.

I associate "Kimi Wo Nosete (Music Box Version)" with Tim Burton movies in general because it sounds like something Danny Elfman would have composed.

I associate "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer with the summers of my childhood, because I heard it on the radio while going to the lake during one such childhood summer.

I associate "Where Are You Going?" by Dave Matthews Band with seeing the sunrise in Nevada because I heard that song in that particular time and place.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 2:09 pm

I don't asociate music with anything other than the people who made them.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 2:17 pm

I'll sometimes associate music with places I was listening to it at the time I was most paying attention to it, or things I was doing at the time, but most often I'll associate music with stories I'm writing or movie projects I'm working on, kind of like a soundtrack of sorts.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2011, 2:42 pm

Definitely with people, times and events in my life

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2011, 2:50 pm

The thing that happens with me and music is that I feel and see pictures of what the song is about to me. They're mostly created and not associated with memories of things.